Page 982 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 4828829329729809819829839849921032108214821982 ... LastLast
Results 19,621 to 19,640 of 67390
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    An offshoot of that thread could be favorite holiday food thread.
    Oh man...

My mother makes some really killer sausage balls for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Oh man...

My mother makes some really killer sausage balls for Christmas.
    Does she share her recipe?

Insert link to Schweddy Balls SNL skit here.

Happy freedom!

Hopefully tht's the end of the fireworks until New Year's.

Jury duty today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Jury duty today.
    Vet duty for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Jury duty today.
    Twice sat - one murder (2nd degree - no death penalty), the other wrongful death - a civil suit.

"Guilty" and "not responsible", respectively. Fascinating experience each time. Highly recommended.

The third time I was summoned, but not empaneled, was for a medical malpractice case - too many intersections with my regular life for either side to abide.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Twice sat - one murder (2nd degree - no death penalty), the other wrongful death - a civil suit.

"Guilty" and "not responsible", respectively. Fascinating experience each time. Highly recommended.

The third time I was summoned, but not empaneled, was for a medical malpractice case - too many intersections with my regular life for either side to abide.

-jk
    Two hours then sent home. Oh well. Now to plan how to spend my $12.

Jury duty tales remind me of the time I was called on on a holiday week. It was the last day of selecting a jury before a long weekend.

The case was involving a female police officer who was assaulted and knocked out while questioning a motorist's passenger whom she had pulled over. He then ran away and escaped capture (no witnesses). Months later, she recognized him in a jail, on other charges, and brought charges against him. It was a case of his word vs her word.

While being questioned as a potential juror for his trial, I was asked if I knew any of the participants. I had to say that the female police officer was a neighbor in my apartment complex, that we played tennis frequently, and had gone out to dinner a few times. I just knew that this would get me off of the jury. Amazingly, the defense attorney and perpetrator had no objection to my selection to the jury. I was subsequently selected foreman. Unsurprisingly, he was found guilty. Served them right for messing up my holiday weekend.

I can only guess that the case was appealed.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    In Massachusetts, you can call the night before and check if you still have to come in. Often, you don't, but you still get the 3 year credit. That's what happened the last time I was called for jury duty.

The time before that, they were seating jurors for a medical malpractice case. It was a woman suing for misdiagnosis of breast cancer. I knew two of the expert witnesses for the defense. I had published a paper with one of them. I was not seated. I suppose publishing with an expert witness is more important than having dinner with the police officer. I did offer that I would understand all the testimony when I spoke with the judge. He laughed and waved me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    In Massachusetts, you can call the night before and check if you still have to come in. Often, you don't, but you still get the 3 year credit. That's what happened the last time I was called for jury duty.

The time before that, they were seating jurors for a medical malpractice case. It was a woman suing for misdiagnosis of breast cancer. I knew two of the expert witnesses for the defense. I had published a paper with one of them. I was not seated. I suppose publishing with an expert witness is more important than having dinner with the police officer. I did offer that I would understand all the testimony when I spoke with the judge. He laughed and waved me off.
    Yes, in Asheville you can call the night before too. They brought us in, but apparently only 1/3 of the pool showed up. I reckon some were celebrating the 4th with their fifths and neglected to fulfill their duties.

I served on a jury for a drug possession case.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I served on a jury for a drug possession case.
    Jury nullification?

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Jury nullification?
    First time offender, here on a work visa. Likely to be deported. Jury had no role in punishment, which was too bad. Most were sympathetic. But mere guilty made him likely to be deported, irrespective of punishment.

Hey mattman91!!!

http://www.zima.com/

We did it!!!
    Kinda barfy!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I don't think I've ever had a Zima.

It's the Official In-Season Beverage of the DBR Chat Room.

More of a concept than a libation.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    http://www.zima.com/

We did it!!!
    Kinda barfy!
    Ha!

Devildeac texted me a picture of a 6 pack of Zima the other day.

I admitted to him that I had never actually tried it, or seen it in person.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    It's the Official In-Season Beverage of the DBR Chat Room.

More of a concept than a libation.
    Speaking of, what happened to Airforcedukie? I believe it was he who introduced Zima to DBR Chat.