Page 727 of 3383 FirstFirst ... 22762767771772572672772872973777782712271727 ... LastLast
Results 14,521 to 14,540 of 67649
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    From the posting guidelines sticky at the top of the EK Forum:

"Trolling. Is your post designed simply to provoke negative responses or outrage? Take that elsewhere, please."

I think about a troll as someone who posts infrequently and almost always with the above intent, usually rapidly leaving the scene of the offense and with little or no intent of returning anytime soon to discuss or debate the topic/issue or their comment/s. Hope that helps.
    That's pretty consistent with how I'd interpret it as a moderator here, but I'll add a little bit. Trolling is the act of posting with the intent to provoke angry or heated responses, rather than engaging in legitimate debate. We have two levels of trolling infraction: "Trolling" and "Insane and Trolling". The latter is easier to characterize - it's like the Maryland fan that registers here just to post something like "Coach K sucks! Gary rules!" Regular trolling can be very subtle, but the key is the disingenuousness of the post - the poster is not really here for intelligent debate and/or discussion, but just wants to get their jabs in.

Hope that helps.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    That's pretty consistent with how I'd interpret it as a moderator here, but I'll add a little bit. Trolling is the act of posting with the intent to provoke angry or heated responses, rather than engaging in legitimate debate. We have two levels of trolling infraction: "Trolling" and "Insane and Trolling". The latter is easier to characterize - it's like the Maryland fan that registers here just to post something like "Coach K sucks! Gary rules!" Regular trolling can be very subtle, but the key is the disingenuousness of the post - the poster is not really here for intelligent debate and/or discussion, but just wants to get their jabs in.

Hope that helps.
    Oh my goodness. Not only does JBDuke read the LTE, but he is now posting in it! I am just short of flabbergasted! I'm sure it was prompted solely by the question posed, and a legitimate question it was, even for the EK board, but still...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Oh my goodness. Not only does JBDuke read the LTE, but he is now posting in it! I am just short of flabbergasted! I'm sure it was prompted solely by the question posed, and a legitimate question it was, even for the EK board, but still...
    This is my 12th post in this thread! Just a few short of you, Ozzie, I think. :-) Yes, normally I just lurk here, but I thought the question deserved an answer that I could provide.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

This is my 12th post in this thread! Just a few short of you, Ozzie, I think. :-) Yes, normally I just lurk here, but I thought the question deserved an answer that I could provide.
    Wow! 12? Really? Don't know how I missed all of the other 11. Some yes, but all of them? Sheesh. Bad on me!

9F 9F 9F

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    From the posting guidelines sticky at the top of the EK Forum:

"Trolling. Is your post designed simply to provoke negative responses or outrage? Take that elsewhere, please."

I think about a troll as someone who posts infrequently and almost always with the above intent, usually rapidly leaving the scene of the offense and with little or no intent of returning anytime soon to discuss or debate the topic/issue or their comment/s. Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.
    Thank you. That is what I thought. My confusion came when I saw some one accuse a poster of being a troll, but the post in question did not seem to be inflammatory. I guess that can happen in a post when it is difficult to judge tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Thank you. That is what I thought. My confusion came when I saw some one accuse a poster of being a troll, but the post in question did not seem to be inflammatory. I guess that can happen in a post when it is difficult to judge tone.
    If the accusation you're referring to is Indoor66 and/or Moonpie23 in the "If not Duke, then who?" thread, then your confusion is easily understandable. -jk actually posted in that thread that he didn't see anything trollish in the post to which both of these guys reacted, and I agree. Just because someone thinks Duke might not be the best team in the country doesn't automatically make them a troll. I thought the OP in that thread did a good job of saying that Ohio State (and possibly Kansas) were very good teams that could dethrone the Blue Devils. Nothing trollish there.
    JBDuke

If the accusation you're referring to is Indoor66 and/or Moonpie23 in the "If not Duke, then who?" thread, then your confusion is easily understandable. -jk actually posted in that thread that he didn't see anything trollish in the post to which both of these guys reacted, and I agree. Just because someone thinks Duke might not be the best team in the country doesn't automatically make them a troll. I thought the OP in that thread did a good job of saying that Ohio State (and possibly Kansas) were very good teams that could dethrone the Blue Devils. Nothing trollish there.
    Those are hard to judge. When someone who has never posted much starts threads that hint at or invite discontent ("How come X isn't getting more minutes?", etc) -- you need to look at those and see what the follow-ups are.

Nothing wrong with (gasp) admitting that we're not always #1 in the country; that (egads) we are human and make mistakesl and (oy vez) there are other teams, players, and coaches out there who merit respect. It's when someone does it over and over and over, without really ever adding anything postiive towards Duke, that you start to wonder why they're around here if not for suspicious reasons.

By and large, I don't think we get too many trolls -- or if we do, they get zapped pretty quickly.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Yep (mocking Zoubs), that was one that got me. Being number one, or just being Duke for that matter means having a target on your back. There are a few teams out there that can get us on a given night. Some like the ones mentioned and I'd add Pitt to that list, and some that we do not even know about yet could cause problems for any team. Funny things - rankings - they do not take chemistry into account, not to mention the basketball gods. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    I just learned what SMH means. Boy do I feel old & stupid.
    I guess that makes me actually old and stupid because I don't know what SMH means.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I guess that makes me actually old and stupid because I don't know what SMH means.
    SMH = shaking my head.

(And I didn't know that until after Kyrie's tweet, either).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    SMH = shaking my head.

That must make me older and stoopider (sic),too, as I did not know until the Toe Thread either.

SMH = shaking my head.

That must make me older and stoopider (sic),too, as I did not know until the Toe Thread either.
    And my CRS disease kicked in and I couldn't remember until you said it again above, so thanks!

9F 9F 9F

LOL. IATOTGARRAUAITP-LAOT.

(Laugh out loud. I am too old to give a rat's rump about useless abbreviations in the post-literate age of twitter).

LOL. IATOTGARRAUAITP-LAOT.

(Laugh out loud. I am too old to give a rat's rump about useless abbreviations in the post-literate age of twitter).

Well, there's always: GTHCGTH.

Yeah, but that's not a tweet. That's a credo.

I stand corrected.

9F.

I stand corrected.

9F.
    Hell yeah!

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Hell yeah!
    That it's a credo, or that DD stands corrected?

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    That it's a credo, or that DD stands corrected?
    That's a credo - GTHc, GTH!

9F 9F 9F

Constructive criticism

Can I ask some posters who are alumni or current students for some constructive criticism of my supplement essay and application essay?