Page 2396 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 13961896229623462386239423952396239723982406244624962896 ... LastLast
Results 47,901 to 47,920 of 67370
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I ran a red light today. Just drove right through it thinking I had the green light. No accident occurred but halfway through the intersection I realized the light was actually red. No explanation. No one was hurt, no cop saw me, but it was a bit unnerving for me. Grateful that I didn't cause an accident.
    You are not alone! Happened to me once probably about 15-17 years ago...I was in the straight lane, left arrow turned green and off I went. Luckily no accidents in my case either, this was on Fayetteville Street crossing over 40 towards Southpoint which is...not a good place for that kind of thing if you know the area.

Unnerving is an understatement, glad you're ok!

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Much as non-Christmas movies are claimed to be Christmas movies, are there songs that while not about Christmas or the holiday season but would get classified as such?

The song I'm thinking of that makes me think this is Danke Schoen by Wayne Newton. I know, I know Ferris Bueller's Day Off says otherwise, but on my Christmas song list it does reside.
    I have some opinions about the Christmas songs that never actually mention Christmas…Winter Wonderland, Jingle Bells (originally written as a Thanksgiving song), and Frosty the Snowman, to name a few. But I don’t think that’s what you’re asking.
    Owing to its inclusion on the Charlie Brown Christmas special & album, I’d say ‘Für Elise’ probably fits the bill for a lot of people. Leonard Cohen’s ‘Hallelujah’ has also been (inexplicably!!!) co-opted to some extent in recent years, thanks largely to the Pentatonix. Lastly, I’d put ‘Ave Maria’ on this list. It has obvious connections to Christmas, but is used much more broadly throughout the church year, yet most people (including me) would never listen to it in casual contexts except at CHRISTMASTIME.

Haha, my phone autocorrects to CHRISTMASTIME and I’m not “fixing” that.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I have some opinions about the Christmas songs that never actually mention Christmas…Winter Wonderland, Jingle Bells (originally written as a Thanksgiving song), and Frosty the Snowman, to name a few. But I don’t think that’s what you’re asking.
    Owing to its inclusion on the Charlie Brown Christmas special & album, I’d say ‘Für Elise’ probably fits the bill for a lot of people. Leonard Cohen’s ‘Hallelujah’ has also been (inexplicably!!!) co-opted to some extent in recent years, thanks largely to the Pentatonix. Lastly, I’d put ‘Ave Maria’ on this list. It has obvious connections to Christmas, but is used much more broadly throughout the church year, yet most people (including me) would never listen to it in casual contexts except at CHRISTMASTIME.

Haha, my phone autocorrects to CHRISTMASTIME and I’m not “fixing” that.
    I listened to a Christmas playlist radio station for a few hours once, and not one song mentioned anything religious.

-jk

I ran a red light today. Just drove right through it thinking I had the green light. No accident occurred but halfway through the intersection I realized the light was actually red. No explanation. No one was hurt, no cop saw me, but it was a bit unnerving for me. Grateful that I didn't cause an accident.
    About 30 years ago, the little town of Wake Forest had a flashing orange caution light. I don’t know what I was thinking, but apparently I saw the orange light and my brain said “stoplight is changing to red”. So I stopped and stayed stopped for many minutes. Ended up having several cars backed up behind me. No one blew their horn, flashed an obscene finger, or shot at me. Simpler times.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    About 30 years ago, the little town of Wake Forest had a flashing orange caution light. I don’t know what I was thinking, but apparently I saw the orange light and my brain said “stoplight is changing to red”. So I stopped and stayed stopped for many minutes. Ended up having several cars backed up behind me. No one blew their horn, flashed an obscene finger, or shot at me. Simpler times.
    I'm colorblind. When I see flashing lights, absent other evidence, I assume they're flashing red and stop.

Annoys the folks behind me no end. Sucks to be them.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    You are not alone! Happened to me once probably about 15-17 years ago...I was in the straight lane, left arrow turned green and off I went. Luckily no accidents in my case either, this was on Fayetteville Street crossing over 40 towards Southpoint which is...not a good place for that kind of thing if you know the area.

Unnerving is an understatement, glad you're ok!
    Once in 3rd grade I "came to" with the entire class looking at me and the teacher saying my name, which I gathered she'd been saying for some time. It was a harbinger of things to come. I can get VERY lost in thought. I've blown through many stops signs and lights, missed the exit ramp to my area and not realized it for miles on multiple occasions, driven right past other destinations like gas stations, etc that I frequent often...all because I'm lost in thought.

It's very scary. It's like reading a book and realizing your several paragraphs on and you're not sure what happen because you've gone on autopilot and stopped digesting the words...except instead of reading, you're driving at 60 mph down the road and momentarily checked out.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    My question is what were you really thinking about while you were driving? I had a similar event a decade or so ago when I lived in Ohio. My brain was stuck on a work problem but I had committed to meeting some friends for dinner. Luckily, it was a bit after 5 PM and the road I was on was in a lightly trafficked area.
    I was thinking about whether or not to send Christmas cards this year. Also, this particular intersection is not a perpendicular intersection and the green lights for the cars on the crossroad are angled such that they are clearly visible to cars traveling in the direction I was traveling. It is a mistake I am not likely to make again. I've been through this intersection many, many times and I've never made that mistake before. Now that I know it's possible, I will do a better job of noticing. That's the thing about near misses, they make you more vigilant at certain intersections forever, well, they do me. I've had a couple in life, I'm always more careful when I pass that way again.

Current tally:

Taylor - 6, George - 4.

Current tally:

Taylor - 6, George - 4.
    Who are we rooting for?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Who are we rooting for?
    I have no rooting interest. I'm just curious.

Current tally:

Taylor - 6, George - 4.
    Who are we rooting for?
    Taylor is definitely more contemporary, so my guess is she will win out over time. But I guess that depends upon what kind of radio stations BD listens to.

Being casually cruel, in the name of being honest?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Being casually cruel, in the name of being honest?
    TBH, I didn't know what BD was talking about until this post.

Squirrel 1 to Squirrel 2: If I cashew eating my nuts, I'm going to be very pistachio.

Squirrel 1 to Squirrel 2: If I cashew eating my nuts, I'm going to be very pistachio.
    No!!!!! Please don't start something pun related!!!!! You're a monster!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    No!!!!! Please don't start something pun related!!!!! You're a monster!!!!!
    Pecan go down this road and drive Hazel nuts, if you insist.

See y'all tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Pecan go down this road and drive Hazel nuts, if you insist.
    Al-mond my own business on most things but when it comes to puns, I'm nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    See y'all tomorrow!
    Don't lie, you pine for puns.

Don't lie, you pine for puns.
    I'm sure there's a kernal of truth in that
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I'm sure there's a kernal of truth in that
    Or maybe you've just plantered the seed