Page 2954 of 3387 FirstFirst ... 1954245428542904294429522953295429552956296430043054 ... LastLast
Results 59,061 to 59,080 of 67740
    I don’t want to get political but you want to know what’s wrong with the world? An entire generation has no idea what it is like to poop without a phone.

They’re too coddled.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Non-profits have a lot of churn.
    They might have less churn if they weren't so ageist in their hiring practices. Yeah, I said it. When I was actively looking for part time work, I couldn't get an interview with a single non-profit and it was not for lack of trying. I applied for one job once, never got interviewed, saw that they had reposted the job, tried again, still no interview. The only thing I could figure out as to why they didn't even interview me was my age.

I had a thorny tryst with a second generation saguaro once.
    So, you are the story they told us about in Driver's Ed in 1986?

Spring has sprung...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Spring has sprung...
    Don’t get me started. I’m super pissed about the nubbins in my garden bed.

Spring has sprung...
    Gonna be in the low-80’s here Wednesday I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    They might have less churn if they weren't so ageist in their hiring practices. Yeah, I said it. When I was actively looking for part time work, I couldn't get an interview with a single non-profit and it was not for lack of trying. I applied for one job once, never got interviewed, saw that they had reposted the job, tried again, still no interview. The only thing I could figure out as to why they didn't even interview me was my age.
    What level of non-profit - global, national, state, local? I feel like my wife has the opposite problem. She can’t hire anyone young that wants to develop (and deal with the non-profit salary / benefits at a starter age).

What level of non-profit - global, national, state, local? I feel like my wife has the opposite problem. She can’t hire anyone young that wants to develop (and deal with the non-profit salary / benefits at a starter age).
    Good question - I never tried for anything global or national. The one that didn't interview me twice was local, I think, although it could have been state level. I tried to explain in my cover letter why I would want the position given that I was overqualified and I also explained that I did not need benefits. It was the last time I applied for a non-profit job.

Spring has sprung...
    Friggin cherry blossoms here in Asheville. Eep.

Hit 80 today and should hover around there for the next couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Good question - I never tried for anything global or national. The one that didn't interview me twice was local, I think, although it could have been state level. I tried to explain in my cover letter why I would want the position given that I was overqualified and I also explained that I did not need benefits. It was the last time I applied for a non-profit job.
    You’re assuming they read the cover letter.

I despise cover letters. Don’t like to write them when I’m applying and never read them when I’m hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post

I despise cover letters. Don’t like to write them when I’m applying and never read them when I’m hiring.
    Really?

I have absolutely gotten jobs I was woefully unqualified for based on cover letters. And I have many times brought someone in for an interview based on a cover letter.

So many things don't necessarily show up on a resume.

Not really, I'm assuming they didn't interview me for a job because of my age. I wrote a cover letter because, even if they aren't planning on reading them, not having one is probably a red flag. If they missed the bit about me not needing benefits, that merely reinforces my opinion.

I definitely read the cover letters when hiring. Can this person communicate effectively? Do they state real ideas or just a bunch of jargon? Are there mistakes in spelling or subject/object agreement? Do they use apostrophes and other detailed punctuation correctly? Do they have an unusual or unique tie to our location or clients? Do they sound like someone that I would like to work with for several years?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I definitely read the cover letters when hiring. Can this person communicate effectively? Do they state real ideas or just a bunch of jargon? Are there mistakes in spelling or subject/object agreement? Do they use apostrophes and other detailed punctuation correctly? Do they have an unusual or unique tie to our location or clients? Do they sound like someone that I would like to work with for several years?
    This is exactly my thinking as well. Does the cover letter address the job description? Does it give me a sense of the applicant beyond simply their experience and qualifications? Did they care enough to at least give it a cursory glance for proper English?

Also, it's an opportunity to show your personality a little bit. I'm not saying you should tell jokes and discuss your latest health issues, but you can mention your vegetable garden, passion for crosswords, or deep disdain for all things powder blue.

They’re too coddled.
    Move them all to Philly...

Bold prediction: 76er's lose 4-2 in the NBA Finals to ???? cementing Philly's great but not great enough year.

Spring has sprung...
    Yeah, had the first dusting of pollen on the cars yesterday afternoon. Time to start stock up and strategically place Kleenex boxes around the home/car/office.

I already have a dry smoker's cough. I'm not smoking by the way. Just got hit on by my first hooker. You know what's worse than getting hit on by a hooker? Not getting hit on by a hooker. You know you're an ugly kid if the scary guy in the white van is suddenly out of candy.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Do they use apostrophes and other detailed punctuation correctly?
    So that person Rich was talking to doesn't work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Just got hit on by my first hooker.
    Isn't that what you paid her for?