Page 2242 of 3387 FirstFirst ... 124217422142219222322240224122422243224422522292234227423242 ... LastLast
Results 44,821 to 44,840 of 67739
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Looking for jerryrig solutions. My sump pump float ball has lost its buoyancy and doesn’t lift with rising water to trigger the pump. I checked local hardware stores and no replacements found so need to order. Got Ida coming tonight so hoping to add some temporary float support. Thoughts?
    How does a float lose its buoyancy? The only way I can think of that it gets a leak allowing water in such that it won't float. Fix the leak?

A rubber ducky would be the fun way to solve the problem.
    Or even better, one of the items from McDonalds' 1996 giveaway of Muppet Treasure Island-themed bathtub toys.
    MTI toys.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    A rubber ducky would be the fun way to solve the problem.
    Or even better, one of the items from McDonalds' 1996 giveaway of Muppet Treasure Island-themed bathtub toys.
    MTI toys.jpg
    Just out of curiosity, have you read a recent article on Frank Oz and his words on how he has been scooted away from Sesame Street/Muppets and his feelings on Disney's takeover? Interesting but sad read.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...doesnt-want-me

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    For the old-timers around here, I had lunch with TillyGalore today.

You have my permission to feel jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Just out of curiosity, have you read a recent article on Frank Oz and his words on how he has been scooted away from Sesame Street/Muppets and his feelings on Disney's takeover? Interesting but sad read.

That is a sad piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    For the old-timers around here, I had lunch with TillyGalore today.

You have my permission to feel jealous.
    Ahh, still in the DC area.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    That is a sad piece.
    So sad, and so wrong on Disney's part. They're not exactly doing bang-up work with the franchise. I do hope this fall's Haunted Mansion special turns out well. The Muppets Now series wasn't bad (file under "damning with faint praise") so I'm not totally without faith.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    How does a float lose its buoyancy? The only way I can think of that it gets a leak allowing water in such that it won't float. Fix the leak?
    This doesn’t appear to be a hollow float; it’s made out of some material all the way through. My guess it’s been in there for a lot of years judging by the look of it and the material has degraded enough that when the water fills up the chamber the float gets logged enough and it doesn’t generate enough upward force to trip the pump on.

Temporary solution involves zip ties and an empty plastic bottle. I think it’ll trip the pump on but won’t turn it off again when the chamber gets evacuated. We’ll see.

This doesn’t appear to be a hollow float; it’s made out of some material all the way through. My guess it’s been in there for a lot of years judging by the look of it and the material has degraded enough that when the water fills up the chamber the float gets logged enough and it doesn’t generate enough upward force to trip the pump on.
    Dice a Styrofoam cooler, add duct tape, and macgyver a float. It'll get you by.

-jk

Thanks for all the sump suggestions! Contraption is in place. Light rain now; bulk of Ida remnants should be here in a few hours so I’ll be keeping an eye on it.

Rare quiet moment. Everyone in the house is asleep!

Thanks for all the sump suggestions! Contraption is in place. Light rain now; bulk of Ida remnants should be here in a few hours so I’ll be keeping an eye on it.

What solution did you settle on?

Also, we got fortunate with Ida. A few hours of rain - much less than forecasted. Not much wind. Sadly, I think we were spared because it stuck closer to the areas of Tennessee that were hit so hard a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    What solution did you settle on?

Also, we got fortunate with Ida. A few hours of rain - much less than forecasted. Not much wind. Sadly, I think we were spared because it stuck closer to the areas of Tennessee that were hit so hard a few weeks ago.
    Zip ties and a small empty plastic bottle. I also have styrofoam on standby if need be. I thought about the toilet float but none of my toilets have that design so that was a no go.

Wilson’s rubber ducky idea was vetoed by my toddler who prefers them stay in the bath.

Zip ties and a small empty plastic bottle. I also have styrofoam on standby if need be. I thought about the toilet float but none of my toilets have that design so that was a no go.

Wilson’s rubber ducky idea was vetoed by my toddler who prefers them stay in the bath.
    Rubber ducky on foam would have been an artistic masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Rubber ducky on foam.
    Anyone else think this sounds like a Banksy painting?

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Anyone else think this sounds like a Banksy painting?
    Or an ultra-modern fusion dish at a restaurant that probably also serves canned air.

I always suspected that some posters posted in their sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I always suspected that some posters posted in their sleep.
    Can’t speak for others but I’m keeping some odd hours right now!

trying to figure out which numbing agent to use for Friday night's football game.

Can’t speak for others but I’m keeping some odd hours right now!
    Me too but not good news unfortunately.