Page 71 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 1967
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Interestingly enough, of the best pro sports league in every sport (ie NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, etc), the NBA is the second most "international" after the Premier League for soccer (https://www.economist.com/internatio...asingly-fierce). "International" is defined by nationalities represented rather than number of players who aren't American. If we go by the second definition, I'd assume MLB is likely the second most international after the Premier League (or any soccer league).
    Watching the game globalize has been one of the most fun aspects of basketball fandom the last 30 years. I remember watching Shane Battier play in the Goodwill Games in Australia in the early 00s and it was just a blast. The game would have been much less joyful without guys like Yao, Dikembe, Giannis, Manu, Luka, Parker, Dirk...a lot of the "one name" stars. The U.S. Olympics loss in 2004 was probably one of the best things to happen to the sport. Created a whole generation of kids around the world who loved the game, gave the U.S. true international rivals, and gave us Coach K for 3 Olympics cycles in arguably the best basketball "story" of the last 20 years. The international leagues are also giving guys (many w/o college degrees!) an opportunity for a robust professional playing career.

Just all good, good stuff.

Zion Williamson became the fourth player since the ABA-NBA merger to record 25 points in four straight games and shoot at least 55 percent from the field in each one, according to Elias Sports Bureau.

He is averaging 29.0 PPG on 60.3% shooting in that span

He joins Michael Jordan, Shaquille O'Neal and Jay Vincent.

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/st...05863066771456

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    Zion Williamson became the fourth player since the ABA-NBA merger to record 25 points in four straight games and shoot at least 55 percent from the field in each one, according to Elias Sports Bureau.

He is averaging 29.0 PPG on 60.3% shooting in that span

He joins Michael Jordan, Shaquille O'Neal and Jay Vincent.

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/st...05863066771456
    Which of those names is not like the other?

I think Zion will have a better career than Jay Vincent.

Interestingly enough, of the best pro sports league in every sport (ie NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL, etc), the NBA is the second most "international" after the Premier League for soccer (https://www.economist.com/internatio...asingly-fierce). "International" is defined by nationalities represented rather than number of players who aren't American. If we go by the second definition, I'd assume MLB is likely the second most international after the Premier League (or any soccer league).
    They are either not including the NHL (only about 1/4 American) or counting Canadians as Americans.

On to happier basketball posts...

...Tatum continues to crush it. Last night, he had 36 points on 14-22 shooting, including an insane 8-12 from 3. Also had 5 rebounds, 1 assist, and 2 blocks. Plus/minus of +22, the highest on the team.

In the last 3 games, Tatum has scored 105 points off 34-63 shots, including 16-29 from 3.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

...Tatum continues to crush it. Last night, he had 36 points on 14-22 shooting, including an insane 8-12 from 3. Also had 5 rebounds, 1 assist, and 2 blocks. Plus/minus of +22, the highest on the team.

In the last 3 games, Tatum has scored 105 points off 34-63 shots, including 16-29 from 3.
    How Jayson Tatum Changed His Game And Became A Star
    FiveThirtyEight

Last year, Tatum was often criticized for indulging in too many of the game’s worst shots: long twos. He came into this season vowing to get better looks, and he has indeed shifted his shot distribution in a far more desirable direction. Only 8.8 percent of his shot profile is comprised of attempts between 16 and 23 feet from the basket, down from 16.9 percent a year ago. Overall, he is taking a far greater share of his shots from three and inside the paint, and far fewer from the midrange area.

As impressive as he’s been offensively, Tatum has probably been even better on defense this season. He currently ranks third in the entire NBA in ESPN.com’s Defensive Real Plus-Minus and is a legitimate candidate for a spot on the All-Defensive first team.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...became-a-star/

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Which of those names is not like the other?

I think Zion will have a better career than Jay Vincent.
    Only player in league history to play nine seasons, where his highest scoring average and number of points was season number one?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

https://twitter.com/GraysonJAllen/st...091960834?s=20

Grayson is the best basketball player ever...

at Call of Duty.

JJ on his NBA hazing experiences.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/02/28...?partner=Yahoo

I love watching Dazed and Confused but honestly, nothing about this sort of “rite of passage” BS ever interested me.

Cam with 26 (9/14 and 6/9 from 3), Giles with 16, Ingram with 29 and Zion with 24 - all in wins for their respective teams this evening.

And Seth with 29 on 10/12 and 6/7 from 3 with 5 minutes remaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    And Seth with 29 on 10/12 and 6/7 from 3 with 5 minutes remaining.
    That's fairly efficient, 29 points on 12 shots, 2.4 points per shot.

Foreshadowing our shooting tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    That's fairly efficient, 29 points on 12 shots, 2.4 points per shot.
    He actually finished with 37 on 13/15 and 8/9, so even better.

Also saw this note on Cam
    Reddish, the 10th overall draft pick, overcame a concussion earlier this month and has scored in double figures in seven straight games and 13 of his last 14.

With the Grizzlies loss tonight to Harry Giles and the Kings, Zion & the rest of Duke South are only 2 games back for that last playoff spot.

Tonight, Seth Curry had the highest eFG% in NBA history!

Stats By STATS
    @StatsBySTATS

Seth Curry was 13-for-15 from the floor tonight, and 8-for-9 from three-point range.

That works out to a 113.3 eFG%, the highest in a game in NBA history (minimum 15 FGA).

https://twitter.com/StatsBySTATS/sta...02492954501120

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    Stats By STATS
    @StatsBySTATS

Seth Curry was 13-for-15 from the floor tonight, and 8-for-9 from three-point range.

That works out to a 113.3 eFG%, the highest in a game in NBA history (minimum 15 FGA).

https://twitter.com/StatsBySTATS/sta...02492954501120
    Wow, that’s an amazing stat and historical accomplishment for Seth. And he started tonight. The Mavericks’ offense is historically good.

Tatum channeling his inner Tre Jones with a perfect FT miss- leading to a three by Brown for the tie.

I was in TD Garden and my first thought when he went to the line was "is he pulling a Tre?". It wasn't as well executed but it still worked. (Then they lost in overtime)

@Sam_Vecenie
    Catching up on the Hawks. Cam Reddish is starting to figure it out. The game and his movements are slowing down. He’s figuring out how to be poised w/ his handle inside the arc, and how to take advantage of his plus body control off close-outs. 14/4 on 45/40/82 since mid-January.