Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Olympic Basketball- Germany Thread

USA is in with the #1 seed... Germany is out. It should be a thrashing. Here are a few things I will be looking at in the Germany game.

1) German Rotation- How much time do NBA stars Dirk Nowitzki and Chris Kaman get? Germany is out of the tournament and if one of these two stars were to be injured in a game against America, you can bet some heads would be rolling...

2) Chris Kaman- How is Kaman treated by the Americans? I don't expect a lot of dirty plays or anything, but Kaman was an American born in Minnesota. The only thing allowing him to compete for the Germans is his grandfather's German citizenship. It will be interesting to see if Lebron gives him an extra long stare after a dunk, or whether he gets the cold shoulder from the team before the game.

3) American Rotation and Strategy- This game has zero implications for the tournament. Of course the Americans want to win for the sake of pride, but how much time will the star players get. I would be shocked if we did not see more of Boozer and Prince. Also, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see K tinkering with some strategies for the knockout phase. We might see some Zone or a few more set plays in the half-court offense.

4) German scoring- They have Nowitzki and Kaman... that is it. That is their offense. Nobody else even averages double figures. I'm not saying it will happen, but the US could hold Germany to 50 points or less in this game...

Please add your comments here...

Should be a decisive win for the USA team. I'm sure K has been stressing "no bad habits" for a game like this, to continue to play strong defense, and take good shots.

As BIF mentions, should be good opportunity for Boozer, Prince, and Michael Redd to get bigger minutes. Each could play a role in the medal round at some point.

I've seen some interviews with Kobe, LeBron James, and Chris Paul today; the team seems very focused and hungry.

I doubt anyone would take a shot at Kaman. There's more respect between the players than that, and no one would fault Kaman for taking a chance to play at the Olympics when there was no way he was going to make the US team.

The US will get cocky and overlook this game. Germany by 2 in a stunner on a desperation Kaman 3 pointer at the buzzer.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    The US will get cocky and overlook this game. Germany by 2 in a stunner on a desperation Kaman 3 pointer at the buzzer.
    No. I don't see that, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    2) Chris Kaman- How is Kaman treated by the Americans? I don't expect a lot of dirty plays or anything, but Kaman was an American born in Minnesota. The only thing allowing him to compete for the Germans is his grandfather's German citizenship. It will be interesting to see if Lebron gives him an extra long stare after a dunk, or whether he gets the cold shoulder from the team before the game.
    I just don't get what the big fuss over Kaman is. If my grandson was an NBA player, and decided to play for the Korean national team (I was born there, moved here when I was 11), I'd be honored. On a related noet, I think the Korean Olympic team (which didn't qualify for this round) does have two Korean-American players (Tony Atkins from GTech and one other guy whose name I forget).

My prediction: the first quarter will be close, but the US will be up by 20 before half time. U.S. by 30, and Chris Paul will do his best to emulate Reggie Evans.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by godukerocks View Post
    No. I don't see that, at all.
    If I'm not mistaken, this is billybreen's way of "guaranteeing" a Team USA win... for him to pick the other team to win... Do I recall correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, this is billybreen's way of "guaranteeing" a Team USA win... for him to pick the other team to win... Do I recall correctly?
    Don't jinx my reverse jinx!

so noted... I retract my post...

This game is on TV. NBC has a high definition station that broadcasts all of the basketball games. On Verizon it is channel 896. I would think that most cable outfits also carry that chanel.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by jwg View Post
    This game is on TV. NBC has a high definition station that broadcasts all of the basketball games. On Verizon it is channel 896. I would think that most cable outfits also carry that chanel.
    Not Comcast.

Usa

My TV listings say the game will be on USA, I guess I'll find out in a few hours.

What the big deal is...

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    I just don't get what the big fuss over Kaman is. If my grandson was an NBA player, and decided to play for the Korean national team (I was born there, moved here when I was 11), I'd be honored. On a related noet, I think the Korean Olympic team (which didn't qualify for this round) does have two Korean-American players (Tony Atkins from GTech and one other guy whose name I forget).

My prediction: the first quarter will be close, but the US will be up by 20 before half time. U.S. by 30, and Chris Paul will do his best to emulate Reggie Evans.
    The big deal is that the Olympics are supposed to be about representing your country, not being a selfish mercenary. Kaman has absolutely NO personal connection w/Germany. His great-grandparents are from there, that is his only link. If a player has spent several years in a country, etc., then maybe I can see how he/she is justified in playing for a nation other than the one they were born and raised in, but this business Kaman and Becky Hammon are doing, signing on to whoever will have them so they can get some better competition during the summer (Kaman) or enjoy the "olympic experience" (Hammon) makes a mockery of the Games. And I'm just old-fashioned enough to be upset about that. No matter how perverse the original concept of the game has become.

They have the right to do whatever they choose within the law. I am American, so I would never say otherwise. But if they think they'll get any support from me for doing it, they're nuts. I hope Team USA beat Germany by 100 tonight and Kaman fouls out without scoring. As for Hammon, well, I'm hoping she spends next weekend watching the US win gold and realising that will NEVER be her.

USA/Germany

USA leads 31 - 12 after the first quarter.

Smile Germany's Coming Back

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity84 View Post
    USA leads 31 - 12 after the first quarter.
    Halftime score is 53-29. Germany now has 55% of the US total as opposed to 39% after Q1.

sagegrouse
    'BTW, this no-commercial channel -- DirecTV 754 -- is really neat. It's like halftime is study time (just a static shot of the arena with piped-in music) and then back to watching the game.'

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Not Comcast.
    Nelson Muntz has something to say to you.

A good night's work

The box score I just saw on espn.com (no live game coverage here is australia, grrrr) has the final 106-57 USA, Chris Kaman 3-9 for 6 points.

Nice.

All right, play time is over. It's time to find out what we've got when it counts. I have a good feeling about this but I take nothing for granted. Seen too much.

Go Coach K, go USA!!!

Did Germany even show up? 106 - 57?

Box scores can be deceiving. Howard scored 22 points? Did Team USA just pound the ball inside? 54.5% shooting for the game - was this a dunk fest?

I didn't watch the game but would appreciate the thoughts of anyone who did.

Thanks.

Question Box Scores?

Has anyone found a source for Olympic hoops? I can't seem to find the box scores on either ESPN or FIBA.

sagegrouse
    '106-57 final. Germany got just over 1/2 the points of the US (53%).'

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity84 View Post
    Did Germany even show up? 106 - 57?

Box scores can be deceiving. Howard scored 22 points? Did Team USA just pound the ball inside? 54.5% shooting for the game - was this a dunk fest?

I didn't watch the game but would appreciate the thoughts of anyone who did.

Thanks.
    I watched most of the first half and part of the third quarter. The US was very sharp in the 1st quarter, clicking on all cylinders. Yes, they did make a point of establishing Dwight Howard down low, but also hit outside shots. LeBron James was sensational (again).

I'm not sure what Germany's effort level was; it was more that they were over-matched IMO than not showing up.

The US team looks more and more familiar in playing together. I believe they get Australia in the first quarterfinal game; Australia played fairly well against the US in an exhibition game, and played very well against Lithuania, shooting something like 64% from 3-pt. The US just looks too tough for any other team, though.