Page 2934 of 3384 FirstFirst ... 1934243428342884292429322933293429352936294429843034 ... LastLast
Results 58,661 to 58,680 of 67665
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Speaking of things that are amazing in their continued existence...
    You know, yes, I 100% agree with you.

But...I'm about 40 and finally starting to understand the conflict between nostalgia and cultural norms a lot more. I've been driving by SOTB for 20+ years now on the way to my parents' house south of Myrtle. I always recognized it as a ridiculous stereotype, particularly after I read about the ownership history, but 1) it always served as a portal to the fun, carefree times at the beach, and 2) I have a HUGE soft spot for dumb roadside Americana.

It should probably go away but I will be sad when it does and, on the list of things that I wish disappeared on 95 between Richmond and South Carolina, it's like 7th on the list behind all the giant I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. Confederate Flags a few landowners are flying not far off the Interstate.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    You packed tuna fish and got a BK fish sandwich off 95? Dude….
    Ordered a fish sandwich but received some chicken disk thing. Glad to learn about buc-cees. Seemed it should be pronounced boo-cheese. Signs were not as informative as you guys. Glad to see the Klan signs are off I-95. Now we have a few hundred religious ones interspersed with hundreds of slip and fall attorney signs including at least one from our own James Scott Farrin Off to Winter Park to ogle a new ride

You know, yes, I 100% agree with you.

But...I'm about 40 and finally starting to understand the conflict between nostalgia and cultural norms a lot more. I've been driving by SOTB for 20+ years now on the way to my parents' house south of Myrtle. I always recognized it as a ridiculous stereotype, particularly after I read about the ownership history, but 1) it always served as a portal to the fun, carefree times at the beach, and 2) I have a HUGE soft spot for dumb roadside Americana.

It should probably go away but I will be sad when it does and, on the list of things that I wish disappeared on 95 between Richmond and South Carolina, it's like 7th on the list behind all the giant I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. Confederate Flags a few landowners are flying not far off the Interstate.
    I don't disagree with anything you say here. I grew up in Charlotte and it was absolutely a nostalgic memory of beach trips.

But hadn't seen it in, gosh, 25 years or more and happened past it on a trip recently. My wife - who did not grow up in the area - was absolutely gobsmacked by, well, all of it.

It was also January and completely totally empty except for the gas stations. Not sure if that's better or worse.

Point being - nostalgia has a funny tendency of helping us willfully ignore some pretty insane things sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Ordered a fish sandwich but received some chicken disk thing.
    It’s because tuna fish is the chicken of the sea. And you weren’t at the sea, so . . . .

I don't disagree with anything you say here. I grew up in Charlotte and it was absolutely a nostalgic memory of beach trips.

But hadn't seen it in, gosh, 25 years or more and happened past it on a trip recently. My wife - who did not grow up in the area - was absolutely gobsmacked by, well, all of it.

It was also January and completely totally empty except for the gas stations. Not sure if that's better or worse.

Point being - nostalgia has a funny tendency of helping us willfully ignore some pretty insane things sometimes.
    Hah. Yes, it definitely helps to have a first timer in the car to bring the absurdity home.

Question #1) Guess who has their dog with them at work today?

Question #2) Guess who got to work and immediately had to clean up a nice tidy turd pile in the middle of the office floor?

Question #2) Guess who got to work and immediately had to clean up a nice tidy turd pile in the middle of the office floor?
    This is a really tough one because lots of people have dogs. After giving this a lot of thought, I'm going to go with Justice Elena Kagan for both. Also I'm listening to the strict scrutiny podcast so I may be experiencing some bias right now.

I really hope 1 and 2 are directly related.

I really hope 1 and 2 are directly related.
    Yeah, I think Freud may have had a theory or two about #2.

[insert joke about metaphorical Junior High turd piles here]
    [insert less metaphorical joke about 7th graders' flushing habits and skills here]

Sadly, the answer to #2 are my coworkers and I don't have a dog to bring to work
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Turkey sucks.
    Gravy will help. Shall I send some?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Gravy will help. Shall I send some?
    Yes, please! I got a truckload of russets and a half-key of butter in the driveway so I’m mashing ‘taters like an Irish Dancing Sasquatch.

Highly unusual visit to Florida car dealer where salesperson and manager were Chinese American with very very modest English skills. Did not expect that. Good conversation though. I think ��
    Last edited by budwom; 02-08-2023 at 04:23 PM.

Highly unusual visit to Florida car dealer where salesperson and manager were Chinese American with very very modest English skills. Did not expect that. Good conversation though. I think ��
    Pandemic times have shuffled many jobs around and who is doing them. And reduced the communication requirements of many said jobs. My parent's were done in by a rogue customer service person at Cox with limited English. My father kept on asking them to repeat themselves so that he could write down what they were saying. Rep got so pissed off, they hung up and canceled all services except basic cable including their telephone number of 20 years. It was a mess to get it all set up again and to reclaim the phone number.

You shopping for anything interesting?
    There are at least a couple of car enthusiasts here.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    You shopping for anything interesting?
    There are at least a couple of car enthusiasts here.
    Not really. Reliability is by far our most sought attribute so we’re looking at a Lexus RX 350 which has been updated for this year. We have a ten year old Lexus which is comfy, unspectacular and very reliable. Zero issues in 10 years

Not really. Reliability is by far our most sought attribute so we’re looking at a Lexus RX 350 which has been updated for this year. We have a ten year old Lexus which is comfy, unspectacular and very reliable. Zero issues in 10 years
    Did you ask Lexus' permission to eat all that fish on roadtrips?

Nice win for the Ymodores this evening.

Haha yeah, definitely not interesting, but in a good way…good choice for the vast majority of people’s automotive needs.