Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    But having too much talent is a better problem than having too little talent.
    And one that nobody on this board could have foreseen two or three months ago. That will be a good test for both the players and the coaches.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

"This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Bios and full roster now available a goduke.com through links in that article. Seven transfers, total, and all of them high level players. (Nyah Green transferred in what would have been mid-season last year, but after our season was over.) With COVID and the mass transfers this year, there are only three players on the team that I have actually seen in person. And I'm still fantastically excited about this team and how far it has the potential to go. It's going to be an exciting season this coming year at Cameron, and I have every confidence that we will have crowds this season and that they will be as big as we have seen for a while. LGD!

Impressive -- all ranked in the top 41; three McD A-A's; four USA basketball gold medals (Oliver and Taylor). Jordyn Oliver and Celeste Taylor look like the best of the transfers, and they both have two years remaining.

Meant in jest, but a problem for "new coaches" in hoops is there may not be "3-4 years of grace" in building a program. Now, with transfers and grad students so readily available, year one could be make or break for both men's and women's coaches.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

ESPN piece which has much of same info, but good to see such publicity for program.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...2020-21-season

Looking forward to having a season, let alone a promising one! LGD!!!

Don't want to start a new thread (though a recruiting thread may be warranted), so I'll slap this here.

Nice bit about recruit Ashlon Jackson (among others) and her rise to #15 in the Class of '22.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...mes-new-levels

Jackson sounds like a heck of a get. Will be an interesting DWBB season coming !

Quote Originally Posted by du_bb1 View Post
    Jackson sounds like a heck of a get. Will be an interesting DWBB season coming !
    She's class of 2022, so she'll still be in high school next season.

But yes, it should be an interesting season.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    She's class of 2022, so she'll still be in high school next season.

But yes, it should be an interesting season.
    And she's still a good get, too! We'll need some replacements for players who are out of eligibility after this season.

New team anticipation

The Chronicle came out with this preview.https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...fers-offseason

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    The Chronicle came out with this preview.https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...fers-offseason
    Thanks for the link. This upcoming season should be wonderful to watch. Here's a few quotes from the article:

In just nine months, the Blue Devils have gone from an ACC cellar-dweller to an inarguable top-five squad in one of the toughest conferences in the country. For my money, Duke could be the second-best team in the ACC next year, making this its best season since 2016-17.
    “We wanted to be aggressive in going after players that fit how we want to play,” Lawson told GoDuke.com. “There are a couple things that we value highly. One is versatility. The other is two-way players—players that can make an impact on both ends. All of these players can do that."
    Now, recruiting through the transfer portal might seem like only a temporary way to build a team. But Lawson and co. aren’t trying to keep reaching for transfers... Duke is still a finalist for five top-30 prospects

Optimistic article from the Chronicle set against front page news that Kara is a serious candidate for the Boston Celtic's job. Including a prediction that it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    Optimistic article from the Chronicle set against front page news that Kara is a serious candidate for the Boston Celtic's job. Including a prediction that it will happen.
    A one-and-done Women's Basketball Coach? Who coached fewer games than Jalen Johnson played?

Honestly, I don't like the idea. Selfishly for Duke, I guess, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    A one-and-done Women's Basketball Coach? Who coached fewer games than Jalen Johnson played?

Honestly, I don't like the idea. Selfishly for Duke, I guess, but whatever.
    She checks all the boxes in this hyper-PC world we live in. I hope it isn't so, for Duke's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    She checks all the boxes in this hyper-PC world we live in. I hope it isn't so, for Duke's sake.
    I suspect she is being considered for her resume, accomplishments, and potential - not for her PC boxes.

Come on now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I suspect she is being considered for her resume, accomplishments, and potential - not for her PC boxes.

Come on now.
    Pretty thin resume for consideration for one of the best jobs in basketball. If they do offer, she will take it. And tho sad for us, I will be happy for her.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Pretty thin resume for consideration for one of the best jobs in basketball. If they do offer, she will take it. And tho sad for us, I will be happy for her.
    That's why I included the word "potential" as well. To suggest it is a PC hire is incredibly disrespectful to her.

It would take a serious commitment on the part of Stevens to make that offer. She only has one year of assistant coaching experience, plus less than an incomplete season as head coach at the college level with virtually no established in-game track record at ANY relevant level. He's a first-time GM. That's the kind of move that is either a home run in two years or you're both fired. OK, maybe a run-scoring double (i.e. go deep in the playoffs twice) would be enough. You just won't get leeway making a call like that.

Is Stevens that kind of risk-taker?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    It would take a serious commitment on the part of Stevens to make that offer. She only has one year of assistant coaching experience, plus less than an incomplete season as head coach at the college level with virtually no established in-game track record at ANY relevant level. He's a first-time GM. That's the kind of move that is either a home run in two years or you're both fired. OK, maybe a run-scoring double (i.e. go deep in the playoffs twice) would be enough. You just won't get leeway making a call like that.

Is Stevens that kind of risk-taker?
    I was trying to think of Spoelstra as a semi comparison. He had 7 yrs as an asst and director of scouting before taking the head job. So yes, I agree that would be a heckuva escalation.