Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    good...I also meant do the talents of these various transfers mesh, do they (careful now Jim) complement each other?
    There may be some skill-set overlap for her to work out. Lewis seems to be the most suited to play the 4, maybe even the 5 under some circumstances. Not sure if anyone other than DeJesus can play point. Perhaps Goodchild can play 8-10 mpg there if DeJesus can absorb the rest. But it's not her optimal position.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Lawson sure seems to be hard at work. Does anyone here have a handle on how all these transfer pieces might fit together? I admit, I lost my focus on WBB in general during the McCallie era.
    One thing we'll get to see from Coach Kara in her first whole season (what a bizarre thing to type) is that she'll have the uncommon opportunity to direct so many of her own "recruits" so early. That excites me. I enjoyed watching the very brief showing that we got back in November; I can't wait to see what she does with the mix of women she started with and the ones that have come just to play for her.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Coach Lawson nabs another pg - Baylor sophomore transfer Jordyn Oliver. She was ranked #12 out of high school but was mainly a reserve for Baylor.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...qSHSPjWRoUqmfA
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

And another one. Now we are 2 deep at every position

https://twitter.com/jordynoliver11/s...93474073698306

Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post

She hashtagged #Sisterhood. Is that allowed for the ladies? It seems to draw derision on the men's side...

In all seriousness, I'm excited about the upcoming season. A lot of new faces to learn, but it looks like it's going to be a lot of fun to watch them come together and show what they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Coach Lawson nabs another pg - Baylor sophomore transfer Jordyn Oliver. She was ranked #12 out of high school but was mainly a reserve for Baylor.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...qSHSPjWRoUqmfA
    Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post

how long ago since posters were suggesting that Lawson must be doing a terrible job since the roster was thin
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    One thing we'll get to see from Coach Kara in her first whole season (what a bizarre thing to type) is that she'll have the uncommon opportunity to direct so many of her own "recruits" so early. That excites me. I enjoyed watching the very brief showing that we got back in November; I can't wait to see what she does with the mix of women she started with and the ones that have come just to play for her.
    Yeah, I look forward to this. Since I know nothing about these various highly touted transfers, I just wonder what style of play she wants them playing, and how well suited they are.

Yeah, I look forward to this. Since I know nothing about these various highly touted transfers, I just wonder what style of play she wants them playing, and how well suited they are.
    Up tempo, pressure, deep bench. She's bringing in versatile athletes. No one is ever going to use the word "tractor" to describe her offense.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Up tempo, pressure, deep bench. She's bringing in versatile athletes. No one is ever going to use the word "tractor" to describe her offense.
    well, unless one had just come from tractor racin' at the state fair!
    1200. DDMF.

Thanks Jim. If possible I would like to see the roster. Duke Women's Softball has been a great story. Winning 4 to 3 today against UNC at East Campus sotball stadium. Kavel with walk off 2 run single.
    https://goduke.com/news/2021/4/22/so...3-victory.aspx
    I got to see also our stunning comeback Duke Lacrosse OT win at Koskinen Stadium.

Kim Mulkey Bails on Baylor

Kim Mulkey heads to LSU -- she grew up there -- after 21 years in Waco.

Link.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Wow. Leaving Baylor after Winning 3 NCAA Championships there.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Wow. Leaving Baylor after Winning 3 NCAA Championships there.
    shocker. Vic Schaeffer, Muffett McGraw, now Mulkey...shockingly major moves/decisions.

I'm not a big mulkey fan overall, but totally respect what she's done at baylor. I have to imagine either big money (which is pretty hard to believe baylor wouldn't pony up), or some bad blood. Given my opinion of Mulkey, I'm inclined to believe the latter. In either case, I wish her the best of luck and hope that maybe this leaves both Baylor and LSU as competitive programs.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Kim Mulkey heads to LSU -- she grew up there -- after 21 years in Waco.

Link.
    Reports are Mulkey was earning $2.2 M as Baylor coach.

If so, LSU had to match or beat that amount.

Doesn't her son play baseball for LSU ?

That's encouraging...I used to love watching the women play, but haven't been able to watch for years now.

Lawson apparently really likes 6-1 wings.

Elizabeth Balogun joins the gang.

https://twitter.com/eli4bathball/sta...oard-101618%2F

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Lawson apparently really likes 6-1 wings.

Elizabeth Balogun joins the gang.

https://twitter.com/eli4bathball/sta...oard-101618%2F
    I like this part the best.
    I’m happy to announce that I will be attending Duke university to finish up my last few years.
    More seasons, the merrier!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

She's had an interesting journey through the ACC.

Balogun started as a freshman at Georgia Tech[9] in 2018,[10] She left the team for Louisville Cardinals after being named the 2018-19 ACC freshman of the year having averaged 14.64 points per game in her freshman season.[11] In her sophomore year at Louisville, she was named preseason All-ACC by Coaches and Blue Ribbon Panel and has also been named into the Citizen Naismith Watch List.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Balogun

She looks like a huge get for Coach Kara.

She has struggled at Louisville, 8.1ppg in 19-20 and less than 6ppg this past season, but still a very talented player who has shown she can produce against ACC competition. Another big get for Duke and Coach L.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 04-27-2021 at 04:03 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Balogun was never able to replicate her 2019 success at Louisville. She averaged 5.8 points and 3.8 rebounds per game last season.

If we assume that Imani Lewis spends all or most of her time at the 4—and she's 6-1, so that's not a given-and assume that Lee Volker, the only incoming freshman, is a developmental player, Duke still has Miela Goodchild, Nyah Green, Lexie Gordon, Celeste Taylor and now Balogun competing for 80 player-minutes at the 2/3. Lots of options and practices should be fierce. It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

But having too much talent is a better problem than having too little talent.