Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    As a born and bred, tried and true Southerner, I disagree that the Midwest is close to the South. No, it’s not the Northeast or the West coast, but it’s not the South either. I’ve had to live in that part of the country for a few years (in the past), and it’s more than just about the food being different. I’ll leave it there.
    I'm just saying that they have more in common with each other than either does with, say, New Jersey. Not that they're identical.

I'll also just note that we have posters who live in these areas, have families in these areas, etc. So let's be careful with any regional bashing, explicit or implied.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm just saying that they have more in common with each other than either does with, say, New Jersey. Not that they're identical.

I'll also just note that we have posters who live in these areas, have families in these areas, etc. So let's be careful with any regional bashing, explicit or implied.
    I’m not trying to offend. Just doing some semi-parody based on my screen name (although I do sincerely love my region of the country). But no offense is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Burrow is a talent for sure. His game should translate nicely to the NFL.
    Burrows back shoulder throws are unreal.I can see a Burrow vs Lawrence in the Super Bowl in 5 or 6 years from now depending on how their NFL teams put talent around them.

Is it my ignorance or does Clemson run some of the same bubble screens we do? And last night they had about the same success. Why throw the ball short into a bunch of people where multiple defenders are located?

Quote Originally Posted by mattyoung18 View Post
    Burrows back shoulder throws are unreal.I can see a Burrow vs Lawrence in the Super Bowl in 5 or 6 years from now depending on how their NFL teams put talent around them.
    Hmmm. Not sure I see either of their teams making the super bowl in 5 years let alone both- particularly if they are in the same league or conference . A lot of really good young QBs in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyoung18 View Post
    Burrow is a great player, deserving of The Heisman, and the natty....but let's face it, he will never in the NFL have a situation where his WRs are so much better than the DBs. He had that in college. He was surrounded by other planetary talent at the skill positions.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yup. I had pretty much forgotten about the game until yesterday morning, because I had stopped focusing on college football and moved on to college basketball.
    You know, the same thing happened to me... in November.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Burrow is a great player, deserving of The Heisman, and the natty...but let's face it, he will never in the NFL have a situation where his WRs are so much better than the DBs. He had that in college. He was surrounded by other planetary talent at the skill positions.
    I already agreed with this, but agreed with it a lot more as I watched multiple LSU receivers make 2-3 yard sideways adjustments to get underneath a Burrow pass. He's great; they make him much, much better; and that sort of reliance on the receiver to have the space and time to find the ball won't work in the NFL.

Pointing out that Burrow has better WRs than the other teams DBs is a strange thing to nitpick on since this is true for almost all elite programs. Ohio state/Alabama/Clemson/etc. are almost always going to have a huge advantage at WR throughout the season. That’s just the way it works when there is little parity in college football. Joe Burrow has the greatest single season of any college QB ever and we nitpick about WR talent? Y’all need some hobbies.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Pointing out that Burrow has better WRs than the other teams DBs is a strange thing to nitpick on since this is true for almost all elite programs. Ohio state/Alabama/Clemson/etc. are almost always going to have a huge advantage at WR throughout the season. That’s just the way it works when there is little parity in college football. Joe Burrow has the greatest single season of any college QB ever and we nitpick about WR talent? Y’all need some hobbies.
    Find someone who is "nitpicking" or maybe edit your post. To quantify someone else's post as "whining" or "nitpicking" or "making excuses" is just an admission of a weak argument.

And you wanna example of a pro QB who struggles compared to college? There are many, including Heisman winners, who don't have receivers three levels above the defenses they play against. Can you say Baker Mayfield? There are others.

The opposite is Daniel Jones, who's mediocre Giant receivers were actually an upgrade from his poor receivers at Duke.

It's not nit picking to point out that the quality of receivers makes a big difference. That's not nitpicking...just saying that both the QB and the WRs (and one RB) are great too.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Find someone who is "nitpicking" or maybe edit your post. To quantify someone else's post as "whining" or "nitpicking" or "making excuses" is just an admission of a weak argument.

And you wanna example of a pro QB who struggles compared to college? There are many, including Heisman winners, who don't have receivers three levels above the defenses they play against. Can you say Baker Mayfield? There are others.

The opposite is Daniel Jones, who's mediocre Giant receivers were actually an upgrade from his poor receivers at Duke.

It's not nit picking to point out that the quality of receivers makes a big difference. That's not nitpicking...just saying that both the QB and the WRs (and one RB) are great too.
    It’s nitpicking to me if you are just stating something that applies to almost all other high level college QBs. Saying he had great receivers that were better than the DBs he faced is just weak and is true for probably 95% of QBs that get drafted in the first round. It’s stupid. It’s not like Joe Burrow had some advantage that no other QB had this season. Burrow made the most of what he had and that’s why all the analysts suggest he go #1. You won’t see them talking about how in 99% of games he had a big talent gap at WR/DB because you would have to bring that up every single time you talked about a QB coming from a top program.

Note: never tell me to edit my post again.

Note: never tell me to edit my post again.
    Stay away from “y’all need some hobbies” as advice and you likely won’t solicit that sort of response! Cheers, friend

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Stay away from “y’all need some hobbies” as advice and you likely won’t solicit that sort of response! Cheers, friend
    If anyone was offended by my statement, I apologize. It’s a common phrase where I’m from and doesn’t have a negative meaning. Just means that people have too much time on their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Is it my ignorance or does Clemson run some of the same bubble screens we do? And last night they had about the same success. Why throw the ball short into a bunch of people where multiple defenders are located?
    This sounds a lot like our play during the basketball game last night!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Allowing a conversion on third-and-eighteen was almost beyond belief.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    not to a Duke fan it isn't! That's been our specialty...

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    Now, where/when have I seen that before?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

If anyone was offended by my statement, I apologize. It’s a common phrase where I’m from and doesn’t have a negative meaning. Just means that people have too much time on their hands.
    Of course it's common. I wasn't offended. But yeah, perhaps try not to both job at others and complain about being jabbed at.

Is it cheating to pay players less than 15 minutes after you win? If so, should there be a penalty?

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...sh-lsu-players

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Is it cheating to pay players less than 15 minutes after you win? If so, should there be a penalty?

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...sh-lsu-players
    Does it matter if the player will not play next year? That seemed to be Burrow's take on it - not sure if he was the recipient of said cash but he said it was real money but he wasn't a student athlete anymore.