Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bourbon Barrel Aged Wines

Let's see how far this one goes.

Stocked up Mrs dd with an assortment of California chardonnays and west coast cabs last week and came across a very intriguing Robert Mondavi Private Selection limited release Cabernet Sauvignon (2014) with a portion aged in bourbon barrels for at least 3 months and she agreed to the purchase, contingent upon my finishing the bottle (over several nights, of course) if she didn't like the taste/combination. I was somewhat surprised to find the bottle 3/4 consumed over the last 3 nights (she really doesn't like liquor) with nary an offer for a taste for me so I had a 2 ounce taster tonight and found it quite interesting. (And, just to show I really can't give it a rest, there were no IBUs but the ABV was 14.5%) Lots of tannins but many other tastes of black cherries and blackberries with ribbons of vanilla, oak, dark brown sugar and whiskey in the finish. I think this would be outstanding with one of our chefs' steaks from the Grilling Steak thread.

Any other thoughts? Gimmick? Blasphemous?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Stocked up Mrs dd with an assortment of California chardonnays and west coast cabs last week and came across a very intriguing Robert Mondavi Private Selection limited release Cabernet Sauvignon (2014) with a portion aged in bourbon barrels for at least 3 months and she agreed to the purchase, contingent upon my finishing the bottle (over several nights, of course) if she didn't like the taste/combination. I was somewhat surprised to find the bottle 3/4 consumed over the last 3 nights (she really doesn't like liquor) with nary an offer for a taste for me so I had a 2 ounce taster tonight and found it quite interesting. (And, just to show I really can't give it a rest, there were no IBUs but the ABV was 14.5%) Lots of tannins but many other tastes of black cherries and blackberries with ribbons of vanilla, oak, dark brown sugar and whiskey in the finish. I think this would be outstanding with one of our chefs' steaks from the Grilling Steak thread.

Would love to try.

I like whiskies that have wine cask soakings. Balvenie Double-wood (12 year old single malt, 6 years in an oak cask and 6 years in a sherry cask) is sublime.

Contra, really don't like beers in whisky casks. I know I should like Allagash Curiex but do not. Same with a Dogfish Head that was aged for some point in a wine cask.

Happy to try it, I'll cook the steaks as long as you don't want it well-done. That's blasphemy.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Would love to try.

I like whiskies that have wine cask soakings. Balvenie Double-wood (12 year old single malt, 6 years in an oak cask and 6 years in a sherry cask) is sublime.

Contra, really don't like beers in whisky casks. I know I should like Allagash Curiex but do not. Same with a Dogfish Head that was aged for some point in a wine cask.

Happy to try it, I'll cook the steaks as long as you don't want it well-done. That's blasphemy.
    What time's dinner this weekend?

Once you get the YoungPhiKaps off to college, I'd be happy to have your favorite steak (medium rare suits me well-it can't still be mooooooving ) at a tailgate some Saturday and I'll have the BBA cabernet pairing ready with a Brooklyn Black OPS (which they claim doesn't exist ) for dessert. I might have to have you bring a couple slices of your favorite homemade chocolate/caramel cheesecake for the dessert pairing .

I really like this wine. The bourbon barrels seem to soften the tannins. Mondavi is bringing another batch with a more expensive wine late next year I'm told.

The Mondavi 50th Anniversary Maestro is superb but a bit pricey.

... I was somewhat surprised to find the bottle 3/4 consumed ...
    Antidote to punnery?

Bought half a case upon learning of its release.
    Have enjoyed the two bottles I've opened.

Great description.
    No gimmick in my mind, a tasty evolutionary wine option.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Antidote to punnery?
    Ha! Might be. My 2 ounce sample didn't appear to be corked but I guess some poisons are tasteless .

Ha! Might be. My 2 ounce sample didn't appear to be corked but I guess some poisons are tasteless .
    I have been building up a tolerance to iocane powder. You know -- just in case.

Would love to try.

Allagash Curieux is aged in a bourbon barrel, so wouldn't that be a whiskey cask?

Needlessly pedantic, you say? I'm sorry, I just can't stop myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Allagash Curieux is aged in a bourbon barrel, so wouldn't that be a whiskey cask?

Needlessly pedantic, you say? I'm sorry, I just can't stop myself.
    I'm broke, I cannot afford the redundant vowel.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    ... wouldn't that be a whiskey cask? ... [/SIZE]
    I found this interesting on general trends in spelling whiskey or whisky: http://www.thekitchn.com/whiskey-vs-...-the-di-100476

But those are just trends and style guides and not universal laws, as a look at any bottle of American-made Maker's Mark Whisky will show: https://www.makersmark.com/

...contingent upon my finishing the bottle (over several nights, of course)...Blasphemous?
    Yeah, several nights for DD to finish a bottle? That sounds pretty JV squad to me. Invite me over and I'll show you how it's done...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.

Gimmick playing on the bourbon craze of the last 5 years IMHO. Mondavi is a hollow shell of what it once was. Regardless, lay it down for 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Yeah, several nights for DD to finish a bottle? That sounds pretty JV squad to me. Invite me over and I'll show you how it's done...
    Clarification: If Mrs dd didn't like it after tasting it and there was ~700 ml left in a 750 ml bottle, it'd for damn sure take me ~ 3 nights to finish it at ~ 8 ounces/night. (Unless of course you visited, then we'd surely hoist an extra half glassful each to the 2010 and 2015 nattys and c*rolina forever going to/staying in hell. So, there's your invite but you might have to get in line behind OPK as he's bringing a couple slabs of his favorite cut of cow and special grilling spices. )

... there was ~700 ml left in a 750 ml bottle, it'd for damn sure take me ~ 3 nights to finish it at ~ 8 ounces/night ...
    whoa, whoa, whoa -- don't go mixing measuring systems ... is this because of that Brexit stuff? ... I'm old school: glass, bottle, points, rebounds ... and you're going all ml, oz, eFG%, PER ...

whoa, whoa, whoa -- don't go mixing measuring systems ... is this because of that Brexit stuff? ... I'm old school: glass, bottle, points, rebounds ... and you're going all ml, oz, eFG%, PER ...
    Wait'll you try to figure out cost/ounce vs ml and then try to correlate that with ABV and BAC.

(Sorry )

I drank a cinder block's worth of wine once.

Once.

I drank a cinder block's worth of wine once. ...
    "The cement was not overpowering, allowing more than a hint of sand and fine gravel to shine through, with notes of sweat from tax-free-laborers' hands ... Pairs well with hot dogs. At least it did that day."

"The cement was not overpowering, allowing more than a hint of sand and fine gravel to shine through, with notes of sweat from tax-free-laborers' hands ... Pairs well with hot dogs. At least it did that day."
    I must spread some comments around . . .

Clarification: If Mrs dd didn't like it after tasting it and there was ~700 ml left in a 750 ml bottle, it'd for damn sure take me ~ 3 nights to finish it at ~ 8 ounces/night. (Unless of course you visited, then we'd surely hoist an extra half glassful each to the 2010 and 2015 nattys and c*rolina forever going to/staying in hell. So, there's your invite but you might have to get in line behind OPK as he's bringing a couple slabs of his favorite cut of cow and special grilling spices. )
    8oz a night is funny, dd