Page 30 of 67 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I'm miffed at your abhorrence.
    Merely miffed? Detestable.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I loathe "retcon".
    I feel like I'm going to regret going there, but I have never heard this before in my life. In what context is this heard? What, if anything, is the intended meaning?
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I feel like I'm going to regret going there, but I have never heard this before in my life. In what context is this heard? What, if anything, is the intended meaning?
    Ha! You're not alone. I saw this for the first time last week while perusing the Summer 2019 movie thread/poll. Perhaps I am as dumb as I look.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Ha! You're not alone. I saw this for the first time last week while perusing the Summer 2019 movie thread/poll. Perhaps I am as dumb as I look.
    Ha! Me three. And I loathe it already!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Shouldn't be regrettable and not necessarily surprising you haven't encountered it, depending on what sort of stories you enjoy. Retcon = retroactive contininuity. Most commonly found in fiction serialized over a long period of time, like comic books/movies and soap operas. Describes changing or reinterpreting established in-universe "history" to accommodate an otherwise contradictory present story point - it was all a dream, in reality [villain du jour] killed Bruce Wayne's parents, I actually survived and have been in hiding until now, etc. Can be enjoyable, insulting, or anywhere in between depending on how it is executed and/or how attached the audience is to the history, so mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Ha! Me three. And I loathe it already!
    "Loathe" is already taken. You'll have to find an alternative. Abhor is also taken, too.

Cassowary. Visiting Florida, can only think of how Carl Hiassen understates the lunacy of this rather interesting state...I worry about some stuff at home, but not being stabbed to death by a 130 lb bird in my backyard.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Cassowary. Visiting Florida, can only think of how Carl Hiassen understates the lunacy of this rather interesting state...I worry about some stuff at home, but not being stabbed to death by a 130 lb bird in my backyard.
    TurkeyGif2.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I loathe "retcon".
    Three times in the past 24 hours I've encountered its cousin: fintech.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Three times in the past 24 hours I've encountered its cousin: fintech.
    Nokia?

-jk

Rather, a phrase on a sign that you might find hanging in a vacation rental: "This Way To The Beach" with the finger pointing. Urkkkk.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I have recently stumbled upon words that I have looked up multiple times throughout my life and not committed to memory.

anodyne - not likely to provoke dissent or offense; inoffensive, often deliberately so
    obsequious - fawning, obedient or attentive to an excessive or servile degree
    risible - provoking laughter

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    This somehow reminded me of "gregarious," which is a fabulous word.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I have recently stumbled upon words that I have looked up multiple times throughout my life and not committed to memory.

anodyne - not likely to provoke dissent or offense; inoffensive, often deliberately so
    obsequious - fawning, obedient or attentive to an excessive or servile degree
    I have a few like that. I consider it a great victory when I realize that, at long last, I have moved a word out of that category.

I don't have any trouble with obsequious or risible, but anodyne is one of those words for me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    I have a few like that. I consider it a great victory when I realize that, at long last, I have moved a word out of that category.
    For me, words that used to reside in this category include "de novo" and "ersatz". One day, they just stuck!

Intrepid was one of those words for me. Not sure why. I knew the word trepidation. Not that much of a stretch, but it eluded me for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Rather, a phrase on a sign that you might find hanging in a vacation rental: "This Way To The Beach" with the finger pointing. Urkkkk.
    Having just returned from a fine time at the beach, I can verify that beach homes are often cluttered with an unnecessary number of kitschy beach phrase thingies...to me, the beach don't need no help!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDevil View Post
    Shouldn't be regrettable and not necessarily surprising you haven't encountered it, depending on what sort of stories you enjoy. Retcon = retroactive contininuity. Most commonly found in fiction serialized over a long period of time, like comic books/movies and soap operas. Describes changing or reinterpreting established in-universe "history" to accommodate an otherwise contradictory present story point - it was all a dream, in reality [villain du jour] killed Bruce Wayne's parents, I actually survived and have been in hiding until now, etc. Can be enjoyable, insulting, or anywhere in between depending on how it is executed and/or how attached the audience is to the history, so mileage may vary.
    As a word, retcon is regrettable, IMO. An invention that enjoys neither grace nor wit.

As a literary phenomenon, I think of Lawrence Durrell's Alexandria Quartet: a tetralogy--Justine, Balthazar, Mountolive, and Clea--that sequentially builds one on another, each containing revelations not offered by its predecessors.

(As an aside, all were written in the first person except Mountolive, which was written in the third. Different tales describing the same event, all from a subjective perspective, save on. They're an interesting read.)

apropos to Mount Olive, raise your finger if you remember sports guy Ray Reeve on WRAL in the olde days touting the Mount Olive Pickle Classic with a huge, three foot imitation gherkin on the table in front of him. At least I think it was an imitation, though maybe those nukes they accidentally dropped near Goldsboro jacked up the growth rate on a real one.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    apropos to Mount Olive, raise your finger if you remember sports guy Ray Reeve on WRAL in the olde days touting the Mount Olive Pickle Classic with a huge, three foot imitation gherkin on the table in front of him. At least I think it was an imitation, though maybe those nukes they accidentally dropped near Goldsboro jacked up the growth rate on a real one.
    Mount Olive's address is One Cucumber Blvd. in Mount Olive (NC). For those interested.