Page 2940 of 3388 FirstFirst ... 1940244028402890293029382939294029412942295029903040 ... LastLast
Results 58,781 to 58,800 of 67755
    My wife won a chili cook-off last night. It’s a recipe she’s been making for years that won a cook-off out West in 2008. She’s made a few changes to the original. We had a healthy discussion over the ethics of whether she could now call the chili “hers” or if it was morally more appropriate to cite the original in her entry. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    My wife won a chili cook-off last night. It’s a recipe she’s been making for years that won a cook-off out West in 2008. She’s made a few changes to the original. We had a healthy discussion over the ethics of whether she could now call the chili “hers” or if it was morally more appropriate to cite the original in her entry. Thoughts?
    It's hers. People are not good at following directions. Even if it is precisely the same as the recipe, she gets credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    It's hers. People are not good at following directions. Even if it is precisely the same as the recipe, she gets credit.
    She approves of this answer.

She approves of this answer.
    I spent ten years wandering in the desert of chili. Trying to add ingredients. Improve on things. Get weird with it.

I recently went back to basics and started fresh. Much better.

Chili isn't complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I spent ten years wandering in the desert of chili. Trying to add ingredients. Improve on things. Get weird with it.

I recently went back to basics and started fresh. Much better.

Chili isn't complicated.
    I make a restaurant quality chili and it's not the least bit complicated

Conspiracy theories really frighten me. I used to think they were fun. I don't think they are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Conspiracy theories really frighten me. I used to think they were fun. I don't think they are fun.
    I think they are fun kind of like learning about UFOs is fun when you are 13. Going down conspiracy theory rabbit holes is dangerous, no matter the topic.

Well, who is buried in Grant's tomb?

Hopefully, no one spontaneously combusted...

I know these are more urban legends, but I did break the chain of that chain letter.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I know these are more urban legends, but I did break the chain of that chain letter.
    See??

I believe in goat man and have been to a big foot festival for true believers.

Like you believe in fauns?

I am in the shark bite capital of the world. Still unscathed

I believe very specifically in this goat man.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Worth_Monster

She was supposed to make me a pot.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    My major accomplishment of the last week was hiring a stage manger for this summer's Shakespeare in the park production of 12th Night. As I'm sure I've posted here before, I'm directing this year. I think I really lucked out.

We lucked out last year too with a very competent, on the ball, awesome stage manager. I never even approached her about coming back this year. The reason? She's a UNC grad.

Yes, I am that person.

Now I will present the case for the defense of that situation. Last year's show turned out great but there were tensions during the rehearsal process. Mostly they had to do with the director. The director was a good friend before the production and remains a good friend because I decided not to let the problems with the show affect that. I will probably even hire her to direct again - but not outdoor Shakespeare and not when I am also in the cast. We have very different styles when it comes to our approach. Also, I am the one with experience and she ignored my advice on more than one occasion. Admitting later to me that I was right helped, but not listening to me in the first place might have gotten anyone who wasn't a good friend fired. (I'm not great a firing people, so maybe not.) Every production provides learning opportunities and I have learned that I need to be way more specific about what is the director's job and what is the producer's job moving forward.

But that's the director - where is the defense of not at least asking a very competent stage manager to come back? She had the director's back at all times which is usually good behavior for a stage manager. But. I was the producer. I was the one actually paying her. She did not give my input reasonable consideration and she didn't because she didn't respect me and she didn't respect me because I went to Duke. I know this because the rivalry did come up in conversation and she said one too many deeply nasty things to me, plus, I know the look. I tell people that some prejudices are perfectly acceptable even in today's woke world, and being nasty to Duke grads in one of them. I had to explain all this to the two others who help me with hiring production staff when I refused to even consider this stage manager for this year's production. "Why don't you ask _________?" Folks around here don't really believe me, but I do try to get them to understand that Duke-Carolina is not equivalent to Red Sox-Yankees. It's a whole other level.

I will recommend her to others who ask me for help finding a stage manager. I won't hire her to work with me.

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    She was supposed to make me a pot.
    This is quality.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    What happens at a big foot festival?

I believe in fairies.

Birds aren’t real.