Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Think we are still looking at Senga from Japan.
    They got him. $75 mm and 5 years, Senga to the Mets.

Baseball loves to serve up surprises, but the NL East looks like it’s going to be a beast. With the new balanced schedule, does that mean the pain will be spread out across the league instead of concentrated on intradivision knifefighting?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    They got him. $75 mm and 5 years, Senga to the Mets.

Baseball loves to serve up surprises, but the NL East looks like it’s going to be a beast. With the new balanced schedule, does that mean the pain will be spread out across the league instead of concentrated on intradivision knifefighting?
    https://nypost.com/2022/12/11/mets-s...pasteboard_app

Opt out after three years with a no trade clause.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I can’t argue with anything you said but I really like Dansby and his clubhouse leadership will be missed. I was just hoping for some compromise and for once to keep a hometown guy but money trumps all of that almost every time.
    I agree mostly. I don’t like his streakiness. He was terrible in the playoffs this year. Defense does have to factor in though and he’s been good at that.

Today is Blue Jay Day. Toronto signs Bassitt (three years, $63 million) and Kiermeier.

Jon Heyman of the NY Post is reporting the Yankees are preparing an offer to Carlos Rodon. Rodon is the last big name FA starting pitcher still unsigned. Heyman says the agent (Boras Corporation) for Rodon is asking for a 7-year deal worth 200 million.

Just a....weird? 3 team trade here with Sean Murphy to Atlanta, William Contreras to Milwaukee, and then a bunch of AAAA or lottery ticket pitching prospects to Oakland. From a Braves fan perspective it's not a terrible, but I'm not sure I understand the need to make this move. AA has earned my trust though so I will reserve judgment until I actually see Murphy play.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    Just a...weird? 3 team trade here with Sean Murphy to Atlanta, William Contreras to Milwaukee, and then a bunch of AAAA or lottery ticket pitching prospects to Oakland. From a Braves fan perspective it's not a terrible, but I'm not sure I understand the need to make this move. AA has earned my trust though so I will reserve judgment until I actually see Murphy play.
    Braves fan here and I'm having the same feelings about this as you. AA said in an interview yesterday that anytime you have the chance to get a player of Murphy's caliber you make that move. My issue is it wasn't really a current need like say left field or trying to re-sign Dansby.

My thinking right now is he know Dansby isn't coming back and they wanted to try to improve in other areas and Murphy does that for the next 3 years. d'Arnaud isn't a spring chicken and Contreras wasn't a great defensive catcher so maybe this turns out to be another shrewd move by AA?

My one wish now if we do not sign Dansby is we get at least a decent left fielder because Rosario and Ozuna are liabilities.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Braves fan here and I'm having the same feelings about this as you. AA said in an interview yesterday that anytime you have the chance to get a player of Murphy's caliber you make that move. My issue is it wasn't really a current need like say left field or trying to re-sign Dansby.

My thinking right now is he know Dansby isn't coming back and they wanted to try to improve in other areas and Murphy does that for the next 3 years. d'Arnaud isn't a spring chicken and Contreras wasn't a great defensive catcher so maybe this turns out to be another shrewd move by AA?

My one wish now if we do not sign Dansby is we get at least a decent left fielder because Rosario and Ozuna are liabilities.
    Defense, framing, calling game. Upside being in a more hitter friendly park. New rule changes regarding pickoffs and stealing bases. Prob didn’t view Contreras as a catcher, etc

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Defense, framing, calling game. Upside being in a more hitter friendly park. New rule changes regarding pickoffs and stealing bases. Prob didn’t view Contreras as a catcher, etc
    Murphy is definitely a defensive upgrade from Contreras and is close enough offensively (especially when he gets out of Oakland) that it's a plus move overall. I guess I'm just confused by the timing and don't see the urgency to do this now when there are gaping holes at SS and LF. I'm fine with letting Dansby walk if we can upgrade LF. Hopefully Rosario bounces back from the eye issue but I'd rather he be a bench piece at this point.

Murphy is definitely a defensive upgrade from Contreras and is close enough offensively (especially when he gets out of Oakland) that it's a plus move overall. I guess I'm just confused by the timing and don't see the urgency to do this now when there are gaping holes at SS and LF. I'm fine with letting Dansby walk if we can upgrade LF. Hopefully Rosario bounces back from the eye issue but I'd rather he be a bench piece at this point.
    A lot of money already in LF with Rosario/Ocuna. May try to see if Rosario bounces back this year. Also, rule changes will be big this year with less pickoffs, pitch clock, and larger bases. Need a catcher that can throw someone out. Also a 2 WAR upgrade from 3 War to 5 war.

Just a...weird? 3 team trade here with Sean Murphy to Atlanta, William Contreras to Milwaukee, and then a bunch of AAAA or lottery ticket pitching prospects to Oakland. From a Braves fan perspective it's not a terrible, but I'm not sure I understand the need to make this move. AA has earned my trust though so I will reserve judgment until I actually see Murphy play.
    The way to improve your team is by increasing your WAR, right? Therefore individual positions aren’t as important to improve as one might traditionally think.

Giants and Carlos Correa have agreed to a 13 year $350-million-dollar deal. The Giants are set at shortstop for a long time. The deal exceeds the Trea Turner deal of $300 million with the Phillies and the $280 million between Xander Bogaerts and the Padres. Ticket prices are going up in San Francisco, Philadelphia and San Diego.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Giants and Carlos Correa have agreed to a 13 year $350-million-dollar deal. The Giants are set at shortstop for a long time. The deal exceeds the Trea Turner deal of $300 million with the Phillies and the $280 million between Xander Bogaerts and the Padres. Ticket prices are going up in San Francisco, Philadelphia and San Diego.
    Can’t imagine where that puts Dansby

Yeh, I guess Dansby is the last of the superstar SS Free Agents that have not signed with a team. I guess $280 million for 10 years?

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Yeh, I guess Dansby is the last of the superstar SS Free Agents that have not signed with a team. I guess $280 million for 10 years?
    Could be something wild like that. A few weeks ago his market was around 6 years $150 million. I don’t see the Braves coming anywhere close to 10 years $280 million

Could be something wild like that. A few weeks ago his market was around 6 years $150 million. I don’t see the Braves coming anywhere close to 10 years $280 million
    The length of these deals is insane. Thanks for the title Dansby but no way Atlanta would (or should in my opinion) pay $28 million for a 36, 37, or 38 year old shortstop.

I'm interested to see where AA goes from here. Do they roll with Grissom/Arcia or sign a defense first veteran like Elvis Andrus? A trade for Amed Rosario was bandied about but I think the Murphy trade makes that impossible now.

The length of these deals is insane. Thanks for the title Dansby but no way Atlanta would (or should in my opinion) pay $28 million for a 36, 37, or 38 year old shortstop.

I'm interested to see where AA goes from here. Do they roll with Grissom/Arcia or sign a defense first veteran like Elvis Andrus? A trade for Amed Rosario was bandied about but I think the Murphy trade makes that impossible now.
    Saw us linked to the Brewers shortstop too. Ron Washington has been working with Grissom extensively. I believe with the improvement at catcher and an improvement in left field the Braves can mitigate the downgrade at short.

Hopefully in Chicago but my optimism is fading

Saw us linked to the Brewers shortstop too. Ron Washington has been working with Grissom extensively. I believe with the improvement at catcher and an improvement in left field the Braves can mitigate the downgrade at short.
    I think this is the most likely scenario. AA says Washington is raving about Grissom after working with him so maybe they roll the dice on him becoming the shortstop of the future and concentrate on fixing the liability in left field.

After the Murphy signing you don't even need a huge power bat there. Just get someone who isn't a liability at the plate but is a quality defensive player.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

I don't think they have the trade chips left for Adames either but they'll be ok with Grissom as long as he's a serviceable hitter. I think all the talk of "no shift means you need a SS with better range" is overblown. You'll still be able to position them up the middle or wherever most of the balls are hit. If anything 2nd base becomes more important defensively and a healthy Ozzie Albies for 155+ games will be a big help there.