Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Sorry, never really replied to this. The reason I asked about Beltre is his wondrous 2004 season. As we know, this is the height of the Barry Bonds era and Beltre was in a contract year. He put up numbers that year unlike anything else he would do again. If I'm remembering things correctly, the Dodgers declined to sign him to a long term deal so he left for the Mariners.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...eltrad01.shtml

Don't get me wrong, as a Dodgers fan I was a huge fan of Beltre in his early years. But he along with Shawn Green, Gary Sheffield, and Eric Gagne were all supposedly on the list:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...eroids-in-2003
    Being on that list didn't hurt Pedro or IRod's HOF chances, and while neither of them had a single year as glaringly out of context as Beltre in 2004, I don't think it's going to affect him either. (And IRod drew a lot more PED whispers throughout his career than Beltre). I'm confident he's a first ballot guy, barring solid PED evidence coming out.

But speaking of the Hall of Fame, here's a guy who doesn't think Mo belongs - nothing specific to Mo, he thinks the closer role is much too limited for anyone to be valuable enough to be a Hall of Famer. (He also hasn't voted for Edgar, but that seems to be less about being a DH than about simply not being good enough). I do think the closer role is overrated, but I disagree with how far he's taken it, but that's not what I find strangest about his article. He thinks Mo might be the first player to be elected unanimously (I think he's almost certainly wrong about that, but whatever) and he doesn't want to spoil the party, so he's not going to vote at all this year. I mean, what? If he genuinely thinks Mariano isn't a hall of famer, he should vote that way. He certainly shouldn't bow out to bump up the voting % of an undeserving player. That seems pretty weird to me.

https://www.telegram.com/news/201812...l-of-fame-vote
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 12-24-2018 at 11:57 AM.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Being on that list didn't hurt Pedro or IRod's HOF chances, and while neither of them had a single year as glaringly out of context as Beltre in 2004, I don't think it's going to affect him either. (And IRod drew a lot more PED whispers throughout his career than Beltre). I'm confident he's a first ballot guy, barring solid PED evidence coming out.

But speaking of the Hall of Fame, here's a guy who doesn't think Mo belongs - nothing specific to Mo, he thinks the closer role is much too limited for anyone to be valuable enough to be a Hall of Famer. (He also hasn't voted for Edgar, but that seems to be less about being a DH than about simply not being good enough). I do think the closer role is overrated, but I disagree with how far he's taken it, but that's not what I find strangest about his article. He thinks Mo might be the first player to be elected unanimously (I think he's almost certainly wrong about that, but whatever) and he doesn't want to spoil the party, so he's not going to vote at all this year. I mean, what? If he genuinely thinks Mariano isn't a hall of famer, he should vote that way. He certainly shouldn't bow out to bump up the voting % of an undeserving player. That seems pretty weird to me.

https://www.telegram.com/news/201812...l-of-fame-vote
    If he doesn't think Mariano Rivera is a Hall-of-Famer, then maybe he should not vote ever.

It's been a fun offseason for Cubs fans. Not only do we keep hearing rumors that the team is budgeted out for this year, and then rumors that we're staying in the Harper sweepstakes, but now we hear that a fundraiser has been started to raise money for domestic violence to pay the equivalent of Addison Russell's (the guy who is currently suspended from MLB for physically and verbally abusing his wife, and who we've now found had also abused and skimped on child support for his other baby-momma) expected contract this year. And they've made it public in order to shame Cubs' brass into releasing him.

Not a good offseason look from the front office, who despite presumably knowing the details of the abuse decided to tender him a contract offer back in December. Gonna be a fun time at Cubs Convention soon!!!

The yankees just signed 2B DJ LeMahieu to a 2-yr deal at starter money. Seems like the final nail in the coffin of any chance of Machado to the Bronx. Looks like Philly or ChiSox for him.

The yankees just signed 2B DJ LeMahieu to a 2-yr deal at starter money. Seems like the final nail in the coffin of any chance of Machado to the Bronx. Looks like Philly or ChiSox for him.
    Agreed on Machado. And I am very happy about that. And I also think it makes the odds of signing Harper smaller. But it creates quite the log jam in the infield (which is a nice problem to have). Andujar is a third baseman. Tulo is a shortstop. Torres can play 2nd or short, though I would rather they not bounce him around too much. LeMahieu is a 2nd baseman (and a very good one defensively) but it sounds like he can also play 3rd and 1st. And Voit and Bird also at first. With Didi supposedly coming back midseason. And Stanton taking most of the at bats at DH so not a ton of room there.

This seems like a ridiculous amount of money for a 30 year old guy who batted .229 on the road (vs .317 at home) with a .698 OPS (vs. .793 at home). He did hit 11 of his 15 HRs on the road. Still, I don't understand the need for this at that amount of money. Would have much rather put that toward a gamble on Keuchel.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    This seems like a ridiculous amount of money for a 30 year old guy who batted .229 on the road (vs .317 at home) with a .698 OPS (vs. .793 at home). He did hit 11 of his 15 HRs on the road. Still, I don't understand the need for this at that amount of money. Would have much rather put that toward a gamble on Keuchel.
    "Yankees" and "ridiculous amount of money" seem to go so well together. Like horse and carriage.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Agreed on Machado. And I am very happy about that. And I also think it makes the odds of signing Harper smaller. But it creates quite the log jam in the infield (which is a nice problem to have). Andujar is a third baseman. Tulo is a shortstop. Torres can play 2nd or short, though I would rather they not bounce him around too much. LeMahieu is a 2nd baseman (and a very good one defensively) but it sounds like he can also play 3rd and 1st. And Voit and Bird also at first. With Didi supposedly coming back midseason. And Stanton taking most of the at bats at DH so not a ton of room there.
    Regarding the logjam, the Yankees still need starting pitching. Could they be getting ready to flip Andujar or Torres for a good pitcher? Both have great value in a trade, but Yankee fans would not like to see either one leave.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    Regarding the logjam, the Yankees still need starting pitching. Could they be getting ready to flip Andujar or Torres for a good pitcher? Both have great value in a trade, but Yankee fans would not like to see either one leave.
    Andujar perhaps. I think the chances of moving Torres now approximate zero.