Page 111 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 2439
    The ball durham site predicted the starting 5 as including Henry Coleman at center. They mention his intelligence as what will win him the starting job. That input was new to me.

Henry's HS coach raved about his basketball IQ and his smarts overall. He is the biggest potential "sleeper" of the FR class. Although, I feel that Brakefield is a tad undersold too.
    If it is true that Henry is 6-8 240+ and still growing, then he is physically able to handle the 5 spot. I'm not sure where I read it but I believe it was his HS coach that said he might be around 6-9 250 as a FR at Duke. He is very athletic, he has a tremendous motor, he is a determined rebounder and a fierce competitor. There are questions that remain to be seen though... how good is he offensively in the post? How will he defend bigger or more experienced opposing post players?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    I just hope that he doesn't take a back seat to other much like Cam did a few years ago.
    How are Jalen and Cam's situations comparable?

Cam came in behind the #1 & 2 recruits (and eventual #1 & 3 nba draft picks). Rather unusual. Who on the Duke roster is a higher rated recruit? Who even projects to even be a lottery pick besides Jalen? (I've seen Wendell moore rated as a lower draft pick on one site)

Jalen will be our leading scorer by a healthy margin next year.

I was referring to if Hurt or Stanley return.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    The ball durham site predicted the starting 5 as including Henry Coleman at center. They mention his intelligence as what will win him the starting job. That input was new to me.
    I appreciate the enthusiasm of the writers on that site.

Henry's HS coach raved about his basketball IQ and his smarts overall. He is the biggest potential "sleeper" of the FR class. Although, I feel that Brakefield is a tad undersold too.
    If it is true that Henry is 6-8 240+ and still growing, then he is physically able to handle the 5 spot. I'm not sure where I read it but I believe it was his HS coach that said he might be around 6-9 250 as a FR at Duke. He is very athletic, he has a tremendous motor, he is a determined rebounder and a fierce competitor. There are questions that remain to be seen though... how good is he offensively in the post? How will he defend bigger or more experienced opposing post players?
    I need to add another nickel to my "is Henry Coleman growing?" piggy bank. This is the first I have seen someone suggest 6'9".

It was in an article where his coach was talking about Henry and said something to he wouldn't be surprised if...

Honestly, I know there are legit recruiting guys from other sites who are all staying 6-8 but in the vids I have seen he doesn't look it.

If Cassius, Wendell, and Matthew return, we'll have 12 recruited scholarship players:

Jordan Goldwire (Sr, after being unranked coming out of high school)
    Patrick Tape (Sr, after being unranked out of high school)
    Joey Baker (Jr, after being ranked RSCI #37 out of high school)
    Matthew Hurt (So, ranked #12)
    Wendell Moore (So, ranked #25)
    Cassius Stanley (So, ranked #33)
    Jalen Johnson (Fr, ranked #4 -- all freshman rankings from Summer RSCI)
    Jeremy Roach (Fr, ranked #17)
    DJ Steward (Fr, ranked #26)
    Mark Williams (Fr, ranked #28)
    Jaemyn Brakefield (Fr, ranked #33)
    Henry Coleman (Fr, ranked #40)

While it's true that this past season, 10 Duke players averaged 10+ mpg, it's also true that in each of our last three games only 7 guys played 10+ minutes, a trend that probably would have continued in the tournaments. Even if you go back 8 games, we had four games of 7 guys playing 10+ minutes and four games of 8 guys playing 10+ minutes.

So, let's face it, K isn't going to play 12 guys when it matters. He's not going to play 10 guys when it matters. That means (again, assuming Cassius, Wendell, and Matthew return) that four or five of the above guys aren't going to play very much down the stretch.

Who are those four or five unfortunates going to be? I'll go out on a limb and say (barring a major injury) they won't include Matthew, Wendell, Cassius, Jalen, Jeremy, or DJ. Based on this year's minutes, they probably won't include Jordan. That's 7 guys, and none of them are centers, so I think you have to add either Patrick or Mark. And Joey Baker is a junior and can really shoot, so he might somehow find his way in there.

In light of all that, I find it really unlikely that Henry Coleman will play very much, let alone start, and I'll be equally surprised if Jaemyn Brakefield gets to show how much he's "undersold," as well. In fact, at least two of the other guys (Jordan Goldwire, Joey Baker, Mark Williams, Patrick Tape) most people expect to be contributors are probably also going to see their minutes dry up by mid-February or so (although I suppose it's possible it'll be like this year when guys played 20 minutes one game and none the next).

Nothing against Henry or Jaemyn, it's just a numbers game. Put another way (again, assuming all three sophomores return and we don't have major injuries), if those two guys end up regulars in the ACC rotation, that'll mean two other guys we expect to be major contributors won't be playing.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I appreciate the enthusiasm of the writers on that site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    ... I find it really unlikely that Henry Coleman will play very much, let alone start, …

Nothing against Henry or Jaemyn, it's just a numbers game. Put another way (again, assuming all three sophomores return and we don't have major injuries), if those two guys end up regulars in the ACC rotation, that'll mean two other guys we expect to be major contributors won't be playing.
    But wait until they dominate in the summer and add 25 pounds of muscle and grow3"!

Agree with the analysis. And for guys ranked in the 30s and 40s, not getting much PT as a freshman shouldn't be too much of a shock. As long as the coaching staff is open and transparent with them, they can be productive members of the program and return as sophomores ready for more.

(I'll now stop speculating about what will happen after someone else's speculation)

This is a good summary that I generally agree with. If the three freshman from the Class of 2019 do return, 1) that would be great, and 2) I see Joey Baker and Jaemyn Brakefield as two guys competing for minutes at the end of the rotation as the 10th man. This past season was surprising for several reason, not least of all was the deep rotation Coach K used up until the final 4-5 games. That makes me think that, given the relatively narrow spread of recruiting rankings, we might see a 10 or even 11 man rotation at the beginning of the year before trimming the rotation in ACC play. I can definitely see a situation in which Coach K benches Joey Baker or DJ Steward in the middle of a game for missing a defensive rotation or something like that.

Would love to see Baker take the red shirt year he should have taken as a freshman but I don’t know if the wing situation will get any better next year for him. For that matter, it sounds like 1 or both from Brakefield and Coleman should also red shirt. Especially transfer changes are implemented allowing transfer later without sitting out. Ideally they’ll be rotation level upperclassmen one day.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Would love to see Baker take the red shirt year he should have taken as a freshman but I don’t know if the wing situation will get any better next year for him. For that matter, it sounds like 1 or both from Brakefield and Coleman should also red shirt. Especially transfer changes are implemented allowing transfer later without sitting out. Ideally they’ll be rotation level upperclassmen one day.
    So many unknowns at this point. One aspect we do know about is that we have a lot of size on the team with wings 6'6" through 6'9" and Power Forwards and centers 6'8" to 7'. Not so much in the guard area with Goldwire, Roach and Steward. Stanley is a possibility but he is still more of a wing.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I need to add another nickel to my "is Henry Coleman growing?" piggy bank. This is the first I have seen someone suggest 6'9".
    I clearly remember when Josh Hairston (pre-Duke) declared he was "now up to 6-9)...before settling back down to his previous 6-7...I think players may expand and contract due to heat and cold, I did take some science at Duke.

A quick new Jaemyn highlight tape. He looks a legit 6'9 and shows some more athleticism here

https://twitter.com/Jaemyn1/status/1...929844736?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    A quick new Jaemyn highlight tape. He looks a legit 6'9 and shows some more athleticism here

Did he miss that first dunk? It sure looked like it. Another lefty but sure could use his right hand.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Did he miss that first dunk? It sure looked like it. Another lefty but sure could use his right hand.

GoDuke!
    sure did! That highlight reel was nice, but he doesn't strike me as an uber-athletic guy. At 6'9ish, he's skilled and smooth, but not explosive. Which is not to say that he can't be highly effective, but as Kedsy has pointed out in past iterations, recruits coming in at #30-50 (i believe he's #40?) don't usually produce very much once the ACC schedule starts in full. I hope he's ready for the intense competition he's about to face on next year's squad! and to take whatever role he earns.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post

Looks like he'll take over the #1 jersey (assuming Vernon Carey leaves...). It's got quite a tradition now!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Looks like he'll take over the #1 jersey (assuming Vernon Carey leaves...). It's got quite a tradition now!
    Put some weight on and he'll take over Vernon's position.

Jalen Johnson reminds me of RJ Barrett in terms of athleticism. He does not have that explosive burst that Cassius Stanely does. But he's plenty athletic.

We have been spoiled.