Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who's taking a nap on Friday?

Let me be clear, I have no problems staying up well past midnight and often do for work. But this is a huge game and my team needs me to be on top of my game. I can't afford to be taking any plays off from cheering due to fatigue. So here's what I'm thinking:

- Grab a nap around 1 or 2 to recharge.

- Take the kids out for a late afternoon bike ride to get them tired out so that they'll sleep hard and not be woken up by me jumping around the house in the middle of the night. The last thing I need is to have to read a bedtime story while the game is going on.

- Light dinner, nothing too heavy because I'll want to snack during the game. Maybe some leftover turkey - with mashed potatoes or stuffing, but not both.

- Put the kids and wife to bed.

- Get my man cave area all set up, make sure beverages are chilled and food is ordered, and that devices are all charged up.

- Kick back and enjoy a Duke win!

Anybody else have suggestions for how to prepare for the game? Or somewhere I can seek professional help?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Let me be clear, I have no problems staying up well past midnight and often do for work. But this is a huge game and my team needs me to be on top of my game. I can't afford to be taking any plays off from cheering due to fatigue. So here's what I'm thinking:

- Take the kids out for a late afternoon bike ride to get them tired out so that they'll sleep hard and not be woken up by me jumping around the house in the middle of the night. The last thing I need is to have to read a bedtime story while the game is going on.

- Light dinner, nothing too heavy because I'll want to snack during the game. Maybe some leftover turkey - with mashed potatoes or stuffing, but not both.

- Get my man cave area all set up, make sure beverages are chilled and food is ordered, and that devices are all charged up.

Anybody else have suggestions for how to prepare for the game? Or somewhere I can seek professional help?
    Two shots of Bushmills?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post

The trick is not to burn yourself out early. You will likely yell at your TV when Roach drives into Timme or Keels takes and deep 3 that only catches air - leading to a fast break dunk. Remember this is a game of runs and Duke is a second half team. If Duke gets down by 15 at the half- I suggest a short late night walk to bring the energy back. Gonna be challenging game to watch. Best case is that Duke makes and late run and puts a lot of game pressure on the Zags. This type of ending is rough on the blood pressure. Here deep breathing is your friend. Need to stay calm and pray that Duke makes their FTs down the stretch.

I'm going to retire at the usual time, then tune in the game via DVR in the morning around 7:30 a.m. with a generous cup of coffee, all the while adhering to Blackout Protocol, all devices off, no phone calls answered. We had a practice run the other day with the Citadel game, no problem at all.

Be careful of the leftover turkey, tryptophan is sleep inducing

I will I hope!

I am going to DVR it just in case. I am old.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Be careful of the leftover turkey, tryptophan is sleep inducing
    Agreed. I think the best strategy is Turkey for lunch to enable the afternoon nap, rather than Turkey for dinner which might put you to sleep right before the game.

Turkey is OK any time! Like bacon.

Driving up to Durham for Saturday’s football game Friday evening. Should be settled at hotel for tip off.

Thread of the year nominee right here.

Absolutely taking a nap on Friday. Can’t wait!

Now what’s this about a game?

Only on Friday? I advocate taking a nap every day, if it all possible.

Is cocaine still considered a controlled substance? With the legalization craze it's hard to keep track. Since I can't be sure, I guess it's back to good old iced tea, about a gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Turkey is OK any time! Like bacon.
    And even better with bacon at the same time! Especially if eating sandwiches using the leftover turkey.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    And even better with bacon at the same time! Especially if eating sandwiches using the leftover turkey.
    But ya gotta add mayo, lettuce, tomato, salt & pepper.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm going to retire at the usual time, then tune in the game via DVR in the morning around 7:30 a.m. with a generous cup of coffee, all the while adhering to Blackout Protocol, all devices off, no phone calls answered. We had a practice run the other day with the Citadel game, no problem at all.
    Same. I need my sleep. Can’t sleep late the next morning with a 4 and 6 year old. I’ll still take the nap if possible though 😁

A benefit of living in the Pacific Time Zone. Gonzaga was impressive last night. Hope we can Baylorize them!

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Agreed. I think the best strategy is Turkey for lunch to enable the afternoon nap, rather than Turkey for dinner which might put you to sleep right before the game.
    Yeah I don't see how this isn't actually ideal for Duke fans. The sleep schedule gets all out of sorts during Thanksgiving anyway, between the stress of family and the excessive consumption, so the long Friday afternooon nap is expected.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup wherever podcasts are given away for free!

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Yeah I don't see how this isn't actually ideal for Duke fans. The sleep schedule gets all out of sorts during Thanksgiving anyway, between the stress of family and the excessive consumption, so the long Friday afternooon nap is expected.
    Please speak only of your own excesses. The rest of us need no reminders. 🥶🤣