Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Great - a team of Freshman get to play their first game against MI State - Geez.
    That worked out pretty well for a very young team starting out against Kentucky a couple of years ago, if I did my math correctly.

Stephen Wiseman
    @stevewisemanNC

Saturday's Coppin State at Duke is on, for now. After positive test among Coppin personnel canceled games Weds and Thursday at Marshall tournament, medical staffs from Duke and Coppin are collaborating. Test results Thursday and Friday will determine if game is played Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by TJ99 View Post
    Stephen Wiseman
    @stevewisemanNC

Saturday's Coppin State at Duke is on, for now. After positive test among Coppin personnel canceled games Weds and Thursday at Marshall tournament, medical staffs from Duke and Coppin are collaborating. Test results Thursday and Friday will determine if game is played Saturday
    kind of surprised the university is risking that. maybe now that students are gone, they have a bit more wiggle room.
    1200. DDMF.

So if it was a coach or a trainer that tested positive, presumably if everybody else on the team and staff tests negative between now and Saturday and has not been in close contact with the infected person then they could still play? I wonder what parameters Duke themselves would establish in order to feel comfortable playing.

And the team played several games in Canada- albeit not at full strength
    Plus a couple regular exhibition games after that, and Countdown. And they had an entire summer of being on campus, taking classes, getting to know each other and acclimating to college. By the time that team played Kentucky they had had been playing together in some form for like five months. RJ had experience on the Canadian junior national team, and Zion had a billion followers so they were accustomed to the spotlight.

Coach K’s teams always start out strong, but facing MSU as their very first game would be a tall order.

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    Budwom, i hope that your apt salmon metaphor isn’t completely accurate. Taking comfort in the knowledge that “no metaphor walks on all fours” [which seems to privilege quadrupeds], we know that salmon are swimming upstream to spawn [I hope that this does not automatically trigger I am a wanker] and if they are strong and determined enough to [don’t want to be a wanker] they die.
    In all seriousness, I find it intriguing that our society, including Duke, so strenuously strives to play a game, when there are life and death consequences. I mean I LOVE Duke basketball, but I certainly would not want one human being to suffer grievously or die from COVID, so that I could watch a college basketball game.
    I mean, it's not just for you or any of us to watch, the players kimd of like to play and the coaches kind of like to coach. Some would even say it's a passion. And oh yeah, it's a livelihood for many people, and I'm not just talkimg about the millionaire coaches and the NCAA, I'm talking about the assistant coaches, trainimg staffs, camera crews, refs, etc.

I don't want to see people get COVID or die from COVID but it's also never been as simple as saying let's lock eveybody up in their homes for a year. That would be a death too, a death of the soul. I am pro-mask, pro-social distancing, and anit-large gatherings but I think it would be wrong to ban any and all human endeavors that bring some level of joy and happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by mo.st.dukie View Post
    I mean, it's not just for you or any of us to watch, the players kimd of like to play and the coaches kind of like to coach. Some would even say it's a passion. And oh yeah, it's a livelihood for many people, and I'm not just talkimg about the millionaire coaches and the NCAA, I'm talking about the assistant coaches, trainimg staffs, camera crews, refs, etc.

I don't want to see people get COVID or die from COVID but it's also never been as simple as saying let's lock eveybody up in their homes for a year. That would be a death too, a death of the soul. I am pro-mask, pro-social distancing, and anit-large gatherings but I think it would be wrong to ban any and all human endeavors that bring some level of joy and happiness.
    For fans, basketball is entertainment. It brings me joy and happiness to attend games and to watch them with all the hoopla and fan involvement. It is what makes college ball fun. This does not feel fun. The likely cancellations and uneven schedules just adds to the disappointment. Duke may likely be a week behind every other team out of the gate. It feels like a second-rate entertainment product designed to look the real thing. They need this season to pay the bills and I will likely watch- but there will be a big asterisk to this regular season in my personal history book. The tourney may be better- but that remains to be seen. There are many activities or forms of entertainment to derive joy and happiness- but a basketball season that feels forced is not going to do it for me.

For fans, basketball is entertainment. It brings me joy and happiness to attend games and to watch them with all the hoopla and fan involvement. It is what makes college ball fun. This does not feel fun. The likely cancellations and uneven schedules just adds to the disappointment. Duke may likely be a week behind every other team out of the gate. It feels like a second-rate entertainment product designed to look the real thing. They need this season to pay the bills and I will likely watch- but there will be a big asterisk to this regular season in my personal history book. The tourney may be better- but that remains to be seen. There are many activities or forms of entertainment to derive joy and happiness- but a basketball season that feels forced is not going to do it for me.
    I largely feel the same way. Yes, I'd like to see a normal, happy go lucky season, but we absolutely aren't going to have that this year if we aim to play most of the games in the December through March time frame...hence the salmon analogy, none of it is going to come easily...if the epidemiologists are to be believed (and I think they are), and if much of the nation continues to behave, how should I put this, suboptimally,? Then it's going to be a slog every step of the way, and that does suck a lot of the joy out of the experience. I'm hoping for the best, but expectations are pretty low right now.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    So if it was a coach or a trainer that tested positive, presumably if everybody else on the team and staff tests negative between now and Saturday and has not been in close contact with the infected person then they could still play? I wonder what parameters Duke themselves would establish in order to feel comfortable playing.
    Testing negative may not be enough. It depends on when the Coppin players were last exposed to the carriers. If the exposure was within four days, the false negative rate is apparently between 67% and 100%. Even on the first day of reported symptoms (if the player is symptomatic), the false negative rate is almost 40%. I'll be surprised and disappointed if Duke is willing to take chances with those kinds of numbers.

Thank you for widening my lens

Quote Originally Posted by mo.st.dukie View Post

Dear mo.st.dukie, first, let me be clear, I’m not judging anyone else for watching...and wanting to watch. I will watch the games, with profound gratitude. Perhaps that makes me inconsistent, but if I watch or don’t watch, the games will go on, and I am not striving for moral purity.

Your points are totally on the mark, IMO. As I reflect honestly on my post, I do think that I oversimplified. I was focusing on my own internal calculus: if lives were saved, suffering diminished, would I mind not watching Duke basketball? Of course not. But you point to the larger picture, and I agree with it. I have never been a risk-averse person and affirm that living to the fullest means optimizing risk, not eliminating it. I have ridden motorcycles for many years and am fully aware of the risks involved. No doubt a stupid decision from others POVs, and I wouldn’t refute that. But as you say, there are passions. And then there are livelihoods. College basketball surely does provide a tremendous venue for both.

So, thank you reminding me of the fuller picture. Life well lived isn’t one of focusing on avoiding risks, it’s using our gifts to the fullest toward worthy ends, and assuming the attendant risks, without fear, and with gratitude.

I hope that all of you have a blessed, happy Thanksgiving!

Sure hope that Coppin State has their act together. Go Duke!

Hustleplays
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

This season is going to be un-like any we’ve ever seen, provided they can have one. Like others, I would love to see our blue devils take the court. If that can’t happen I have already resigned to the fact it’s not meant to be this year. Our biggest concern is for everybody to stay as safe as they can . Here’s hoping we can stay safe and still enjoy college basketball . Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Testing negative may not be enough. It depends on when the Coppin players were last exposed to the carriers. If the exposure was within four days, the false negative rate is apparently between 67% and 100%. Even on the first day of reported symptoms (if the player is symptomatic), the false negative rate is almost 40%. I'll be surprised and disappointed if Duke is willing to take chances with those kinds of numbers.
    Wow those are staggeringly high percentages for false negative. Didn’t realize that. Agree with your assessment. Would say its almost not even worth testing until you’re outside the 4-day window (I’m taking 4 days from your post), assuming false negatives drop precipitously thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Wow those are staggeringly high percentages for false negative. Didn’t realize that. Agree with your assessment. Would say its almost not even worth testing until you’re outside the 4-day window (I’m taking 4 days from your post), assuming false negatives drop precipitously thereafter.
    Yes, it drops hard after four days. From the articles I've read, the tests are most reliable four days after symptoms or eight days after exposure. Which is going to make it hard to play basketball this season, or at least hard to play it safely.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ea/6415196002/

Dan Wolken from USA Today on how colleges aren't ready for hoops....one athletic director thinking his school may play more football games than hoop games.

Twitter seems to be saying that as of this morning the game is still on. I've gone from very, very pessimistic a couple days ago to thinking there is like a 50-50 shot at getting this game played.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Twitter seems to be saying that as of this morning the game is still on. I've gone from very, very pessimistic a couple days ago to thinking there is like a 50-50 shot at getting this game played.
    I’m just the opposite. I think there’s a 50-50 chance the game will not be played. 😊

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    I’m just the opposite. I think there’s a 50-50 chance the game will not be played. 😊
    it either will or it won't! that's 50/50 in my book
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    it either will or it won't! that's 50/50 in my book
    No, that's 100% one way or the other.

Now I'm even confusing myself, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    More optimism
    maybe they're suggesting that "one day, we will play basketball again...
    1200. DDMF.