Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Wine

Ymm, Wine

While I much prefer beer to wine, I feel the Ymm beer thread has pretty much covered it all and therefor I have no reason to post. I am aware that this thread might not carry the same standing with you guys as the Ymm beer thread, however, I feel it necessary to post because of my 'beer break.'

Thats right, I've stopped drinking beer for a few months and switched to wine. I would have switched to liquor but I don't want to become a full blown alcoholic. Plus, "Ymm, Hard Liquor" probably wouldn't go over well with the mods.

I have two questions:
    1) The reason for my beer break is the fact that I'm about 20lbs over weight. I quit smoking a month ago which hasn't help the weight issue at all. I dont drink as much wine as I do beer so hopefully I wont get all the calories. Am I right, or does it not matter what you drink, alcohol is fattening regardless?

2) The main point of this thread. No matter what answers I get from question 1 I'm probably still gonna drink wine. So, whats good? Lately, I've been drinking Ghost Pines Merlot, Yellowtail (all varieties), and others that have cool looking bottles. I know nothing about wine (obviously) so I open the floor to you guys for suggestions.

I always purchase my wine based on how cool the bottle looks. I think it all tastes pretty rancid, but I drink it anywaysss.

I make my choices based on the cost of the 5 liter boxes. My favorite is Almaden Merlot at about $13 for 5 liters, but I keep Yellowtail Riesling around (about $13 for 1.5 liters) for seafood and poultry, or just to sip. I may sound flippant with this, but I have been to enough wine tastings in which the cheaper wines were considered the best. I found two cheap wines that suit my taste. For beer, I stick with German imports.

An addendum
    For losing weight, the only things that work are smaller portions, exercise, and reading the package labeling whether it's food or drink.

The best wine...Donald Wine! :-)
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Anything from Bully Hill--relatively inexpensive, a New York winery, cool bottles--

If you like chianti, try Francesco Chianti Classico. You can find it for $9.99 a bottle, and it's very nice for the price.

Another favorite of mine is Rancho Zabaco Dancing Bull Zinfandel. And the label is very cool.

Alas, I've switched from red wine to dark beer. For moderation and weight management. It's all about the calories, and for some reason with red wine I tend to drink massive quantities and munch on cheese and junk snacks. With one or two dark beers I'm satisfied.

I think beer tends to go to fat more readily, however it gets processed. But at the end of the day, it's always calories in versus calories out.

Wine has plenty of calories as well, although some elements which are possibly beneficial to health (in moderation). I tend to drink wines in the $15-25 range, but there are plenty of lists out there for good wines at lower prices. This one might be interesting?

http://www.wineloverspage.com/qpr/

I often use winezap.com to find good prices on wines, although you have to consider shipping.

I've been buying a lot of wine online recently. wine.woot.com runs a deal each week. It's been a great opportunity to try new wines from small botique vineyards in CA and the northwest. Their prices vary. But each week's offering is between 2 and 6 bottles, and runs from $30 to $60. They have a flat $5 shipping cost, regardless of how much you buy. Their offering really does vary. I've seen 6 bottles of the same wine one week for $45+$5shipping and some weeks they sell 2 very nice bottles for $60 total.

I haven't been disappointed in anything I've bought there. The only problem for some, is some states have very restrictive shipping laws for out-of-state alcohol purchases.

If you have any interest in branching out try the Bogle Petite Sirah. Petite Sirah's are not often seen, but they're quite good. The Bogle is a pretty good entry-level PS and it runs about $8.99 around here. Another good one, slightly pricier at about $11 or so is the Concannon Petite Sirah
    Last edited by DukeUsul; 02-08-2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: added the concannon PS

For great red wine values (esp in the $10-$20 range), look to Chile and Argentina, especially their Malbecs and Syrahs.

Ounce for ounce, wine has more calories than beer, but one typically drinks less wine. A 4 oz. glass of wine has about 90-100 calories, a 12 oz beer is more like 150-200.

I agree with the poster above who mentioned Bogle. They have several good varietals.

Almost any Australian Shiraz or Chardonnay (not my cup of tea) is pretty good. I also agree on the Malbec recommendations as well.

For great red wine values (esp in the $10-$20 range), look to Chile and Argentina, especially their Malbecs and Syrahs.
    I love Malbec wine from Argentina! I am NOT a red wine drinker, but I recently went to a wine tasting and just for the heck of it, I tried a red wine. It was a Malbec from Argentina, and I loved it. It is a little fruity and it has a smooth, pleasant finish.

I don't like Malbec wine as much as I like Chardonnay (remember our recent discussion about Two Buck Chuck from Trader Joe's?), and I don't like Chardonnay as much as I like Corona beer, so when I'm trying to drop a few pounds, I drink Malbec. I consume fewer calories and find that it's quicker to lose the weight.

ymm, wine

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    While I much prefer beer to wine, I feel the Ymm beer thread has pretty much covered it all and therefor I have no reason to post. I am aware that this thread might not carry the same standing with you guys as the Ymm beer thread, however, I feel it necessary to post because of my 'beer break.'

Thats right, I've stopped drinking beer for a few months and switched to wine. I would have switched to liquor but I don't want to become a full blown alcoholic. Plus, "Ymm, Hard Liquor" probably wouldn't go over well with the mods.

I have two questions:
    1) The reason for my beer break is the fact that I'm about 20lbs over weight. I quit smoking a month ago which hasn't help the weight issue at all. I dont drink as much wine as I do beer so hopefully I wont get all the calories. Am I right, or does it not matter what you drink, alcohol is fattening regardless?

2) The main point of this thread. No matter what answers I get from question 1 I'm probably still gonna drink wine. So, whats good? Lately, I've been drinking Ghost Pines Merlot, Yellowtail (all varieties), and others that have cool looking bottles. I know nothing about wine (obviously) so I open the floor to you guys for suggestions.
    No, I am not going to start posting regularly on this thread or folks would seriously start to wonder about my habits, but I just could not resist .

1. Folks who quit smoking have a tendency to snack a lot more and not exercise much therefore, the weight gain. Something to do with oral fixations/tendencies. If there are any psychologists/psychiatrists/addictionologists out there, please help here. The alcohol adds extra calories in addition to the snacking so the vicious cycle continues.
    2. No comments on the wines, I will leave that to the oenophiles out there. Not too much knowledge here about wines.

This thread does sound like a really good idea, however. I would like to see how it ferments and matures .

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Had Kunin Syrah a couple of weeks ago that was very, very good. Prices look to be in the $20-$30 range.

If you're looking for a white, try Conundrum. It's a table wine - a blend of vintages - and quite good. Prices are $10-$20.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

I find that Yellow Tail Shiraz and Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel are much better/have a more consistent quality if you spend the extra $2-3 and get the "reserve" label. I remember the first time I tried Yellow Tail, my housemate and I were cooking for a dinner party -- we downed the whole bottle before our guests arrived, it was just that tasty and drinkable.

If I'm reaching for a red, I usually choose Syrah/Shiraz, or Zin's. I love Old Vine zin's from Sonoma/Napa.

I used to drink more Merlot, but then I saw "Sideways."

I'd be interested to learn more about Cab's -- any starter suggestions?

ymm beer, err, wine

Quote Originally Posted by g_olaf View Post

Ounce for ounce, wine has more calories than beer, but one typically drinks less wine. A 4 oz. glass of wine has about 90-100 calories, a 12 oz beer is more like 150-200.
    if you consume some of the higher octane brews, they can have 200-250 calories or more for 12 oz. (and who you tryin' to kid-who consumes 'just' 4 oz of wine per serving )

ymm beer, err, wine

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I find that Yellow Tail Shiraz and Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel are much better/have a more consistent quality if you spend the extra $2-3 and get the "reserve" label. I remember the first time I tried Yellow Tail, my housemate and I were cooking for a dinner party -- we downed the whole bottle before our guests arrived, it was just that tasty and drinkable.

If I'm reaching for a red, I usually choose Syrah/Shiraz, or Zin's. I love Old Vine zin's from Sonoma/Napa.

TRAITOR!! (remember who started the beer thread several months ago, none other than DA )

If you like Shiraz and want to get into Cab... why not try a blend? I always liked Penfold's Koonunga Hill (Australia) Shiraz/Cabernet.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    TRAITOR!! (remember who started the beer thread several months ago, none other than DA )
    Totally depends on the night, DD. Some are just beer nights, others are made for wine. If it makes you feel any better, I'm trying to maintain that heart-healthy level of a drink a day, 4-5 days a week.

ymm, wine

Totally depends on the night, DD. Some are just beer nights, others are made for wine. If it makes you feel any better, I'm trying to maintain that heart-healthy level of a drink a day, 4-5 days a week.
    thanks for your reassurance. I will sleep better tonite