Page 1475 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 4759751375142514651473147414751476147714851525157519752475 ... LastLast
Results 29,481 to 29,500 of 67386
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Next play.
    Damn, sorry if that is the bummer news it sounds like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Damn, sorry if that is the bummer news it sounds like it is.
    Yeah, is what it is though.

The right one will come eventually. I'm still very blessed, so can't be too upset about it.

Next play.
    Their loss.

Sorry to hear, mattman, but glad that it seems you’re able to maintain perspective about it all.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I applied for a job a couple of years ago that I felt was perfect for me. I didn't even get an interview. About a month after I applied, the job was listed again. I applied a second time. I still didn't get an interview. In the 3+ years now that I have been on per diem status at BWH, I have applied for something like 10 jobs. I have never gotten an interview. Not one. Luckily my husband is gainfully employed and I still get per diem work from the Brigham from time to time, but, if I were in worse financial shape, not sure what I'd do. I think it comes down to my age. The next time I apply for a job that I would at least like to be interviewed for, I am removing all dates from my resume. I am not currently looking for a job.

In many respects, I am so glad that I'm not starting a career right now. Obviously, I don't know how to even look for a job since I can't even get interviewed.

I wish you good luck, Matt. Hope the next one is the right one.

I used to keep a file of every law firm rejection letter I got in law school. Then burned them when I ended up with a job I liked (and where I still am today, 29 years later).

It was not a small file.

I've had lots of job rejections but have never not had a job. As mattman noted, next play.

Yeah, is what it is though.

The right one will come eventually. I'm still very blessed, so can't be too upset about it.
    Absolutely it will! I truly believe that because you are outstanding with people and super-smart in a non-offensive way. There are plenty of people who are super-smart in an offensive way, but the latter do better.

Their loss indeed, but it will happen.

I used to think I would be a sandwich artist for life because of my grades at Duke. But my pre-med advisor at Duke (Kay Singer) believed in me, and I believed in myself. Or maybe more likely divine intervention, but I'll drink a beer to that too.

And we're drinking a great one to celebrate when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I applied for a job a couple of years ago that I felt was perfect for me. I didn't even get an interview. About a month after I applied, the job was listed again. I applied a second time. I still didn't get an interview. In the 3+ years now that I have been on per diem status at BWH, I have applied for something like 10 jobs. I have never gotten an interview. Not one. Luckily my husband is gainfully employed and I still get per diem work from the Brigham from time to time, but, if I were in worse financial shape, not sure what I'd do. I think it comes down to my age. The next time I apply for a job that I would at least like to be interviewed for, I am removing all dates from my resume. I am not currently looking for a job.

In many respects, I am so glad that I'm not starting a career right now. Obviously, I don't know how to even look for a job since I can't even get interviewed.

I'm lucky to have a job now, and one that I don't (always) hate. The issue is it isn't in the location that I desire, and there isn't much more room for growth where I am at. My problem is that I am not patient. If I do not learn to be patient, I will become one .

I am currently in Staffing/Recruitng, and you are absolutely right that employers discriminate based on age (not us!). There have been several times that I have interviewed strong candidates that hiring/HR managers will not give the time of day because of their age. It is better to leave off old experience (older than 10 years) and leave off education dates if you feel it will "age" you too much.

Whomever didn't give you an interview and hire you is also a colossal idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Absolutely it will! I truly believe that because you are outstanding with people and super-smart in a non-offensive way. There are plenty of people who are super-smart in an offensive way, but the latter do better.

Their loss indeed, but it will happen.

I used to think I would be a sandwich artist for life because of my grades at Duke. But my pre-med advisor at Duke (Kay Singer) believed in me, and I believed in myself. Or maybe more likely divine intervention, but I'll drink a beer to that too.

And we're drinking a great one to celebrate when it happens.
    Damn right, and I still owe you one!

I really outkicked my coverage on this one. I was not at all qualified for it (on paper at least) but made it to the final 2. At the end of the day, that is about as valuable as UNCheat's 1924 National "Championship".

Ah, the world of interviews. Some years ago I was contacted by an exec to apply for a job that looked like a perfect fit. I had not known about it. I applied, and didn't get an interview. Pretty startling, but that's how it goes sometimes.

Damn right, and I still owe you one!

I really outkicked my coverage on this one. I was not at all qualified for it (on paper at least) but made it to the final 2. At the end of the day, that is about as valuable as UNCheat's 1924 National "Championship".
    FWIW, I was out of work a couple of years ago and applying like crazy. I had several really good phone interviews that let to really good in-person interviews. There was one that I was convinced was in the bag. I did not get it. It still burns me a bit, b/c I would have been a great hire for them. Months down the road, on a listserve, I came across a posting that I knew would be the path to getting me back where I should be. I nailed both interviews and was offered the job on the spot. I was only there 10 months, but I learned a lot, and it led me to my current position, which is where I wanted to be several years ago and thought I would never make it.

So, hang in there. It will come!

I applied three separate times for a job I really wanted over the course of a year and a half. It was a job I really wanted with a great organization. After I whiffed the second time, I contacted the Executive Director and asked if I had done anything wrong with my interview, and why I wasn't hired. He explained that a late internal candidate had applied and was chosen.

This gave me the confidence to apply the third time and get the job. It was a great job and opened up lots of opportunities for me going forward.

MattMan91, you have a bright future ahead of you!

Next play.
    The Irish say, "Everything happens for a reason" which is always aggravating to hear but usually comes true eventually. There are better opportunities ahead young matty and you'll grab them.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Serenity now...

When I started my teaching career, only one place even gave me a real interview. It didn’t make sense to me, because I knew who I was and who I would be as a teacher. I nailed that one interview, got the job, and have now worked my way up to my dream position. I will always owe a debt of gratitude to that one person who gave me a chance, but I will never understand why nobody else did.
    Hiring decisions often don’t make a whole lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    When I started my teaching career, only one place even gave me a real interview. It didn’t make sense to me, because I knew who I was and who I would be as a teacher. I nailed that one interview, got the job, and have now worked my way up to my dream position. I will always owe a debt of gratitude to that one person who gave me a chance, but I will never understand why nobody else did.
    Another thing I have learned being on the other end of lots of hiring recently, is that as the candidate, you have immense pressure and a sense of urgency. The hiring entity may not share that sense of urgency - 48-72 hours with no contact from someone you have applied with can feel like months, whereas the person looking at applications may have simply taken a long weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The labor market is the most inefficient market in the world. IMHO.

With fifteen percent unemployment, it's gonna be a bit of a haul to get back to whatever the new normal is.

My heart goes out to folks who are losing their federal Unemployment Bonus of $600/week right now. That's messy.