Basketball Shoes - Need New Pair

DBR Bballers - I started playing again in a Rec League about a year ago, after a 4 year hiatus of doing nothing but running. I was wondering; there seem to be so many choices these days, as always, on what kind of Bball shoe to get. I know what I like, as far as a mid-rise sneaker, nothing flashy just a solid shoe. What I don't know is if any of these newer brands, such as the Adidas Crazy Lite or anything Under Armor (click clack) are any good or should I just stick with Nikes?

My 2003 Lebron's are falling apart and need to be replaced. I don't want to order off the 'net just yet as I need to get a feel for sizes (about 12.5) and weight and fit. Anyone on here play enough that they keep up with the shoe market, or else know enough about shoes to recommend a pair? I hate to go UA or Jordan Brand as they are rivals but they seem to offer a good selection, esp Jordan.

I tried to search either for the shoes that Duke currently wears but it's a little more than I want to spend, or if an NBA Dukie has a line of shoes I must be missing it. Thanks in advance...been a while since I went to pick out a new pair of Bball shoes, and at age 31 they might last me for the rest of my 'career' - need to get some good ones.

PF Flyers...no,no, Red Ball Jets.

Man, go to your favorite store and get what feels most comfortable for you.

Hold out a little while for the Kyrie Irving Nikes.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    PF Flyers...no,no, Red Ball Jets.

Man, go to your favorite store and get what feels most comfortable for you.
    PF Flyers? No Way.

34660855.jpg

I'd check out the Kobes or the Kevin Durants. Both are very, very comfortable, and affordable as well compared to other name-brand shoes. I got my Kobes for $99 at Champs and the KDs for $85 there as well. The Kobes are some of the most comfortable shoes I've worn yet...the catch is that they're lowtops. Still, I find my ankles very secure when I'm crossing people over! LOL The KDs are hightops, which is what I normally like to wear. They're pretty light for a basketball shoe, which keeps you moving quickly and won't bog you down (putting extra pressure on your joints).

If you're looking for something a bit cheaper, Nike usually puts out a "Team" shoe every year that retails for around $70. It changes every year what model shoe they market as the Team shoe, but it's usually pretty nice. And, you can get them in Duke colors (royal/white) or match them with the alternate black jersey you got in your closet (black/royal).
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Hold on a sec...

Your last pair of high tops were the 03 Lebrons - and you're worried about pricing?

Those were quite expensive.

I find that you can't go wrong with the Flights or Zooms.

BUT the Jordans are usually the best combination of style, comfort, and price. ANDDDDD they're all 3/4 height. Many of the Nikes are full high tops now.

I've also had good success with AND1 shoes. They are REALLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYY light, but don't offer much arch support, and it sounds like you may need that (12.5)

My current rotation includes:

Nike Air HyperDunk
    Nike Air Flight II
    And1
    Jordan Fly 23

I try to keep the majority of my purchases in the $65 - $90 range, except I always like to habe ONE high end shoe.

For the record, I cannot wear Adidas shoes, even though I like many of the Adidas styles. Their "iso-bar" or whatever that goes from toe to heel makes my feet hurt.

The best pair of high tops I ever wore was a pair of New Balance, but it's been a while since I saw anything from them.

I ended up with the low-cut Nike Hyperfuse in white. I tried on the KDs and the Hyperdunks but just can't get used to the top strap thing. I usually get a mid-cut but these have a slight bit of ankle support and were very light...as well as on sale for $65.

I think I bought those '03 'Brons in 2004 perhaps...I doubt I spent that much on them at the time but when you have your first job out of college and want to spoil yourself sometimes you've got to get the hottest shoe out there.

Ultimately I went with the ones that fit my foot the best, tried on about 4 pairs. It's been a while since I bought Bball shoes so I figured I'd see what people thought. I have had two pairs of Jordans I wore and both out much faster than I hoped for. I had no idea that Under Amrour made Bball shoes, wasn't sure about them so didn't consider them. Adidas also has a pair that are the lightest on the market, but at $129 I wasn't interested, and they didn't have much support.

The best shoes I tried on were the KDs (I couldn't find Kobes but think that I got were similar), The Hyperdunks and the ones I got, Hyperfuse. It's a lot to navigate these days, trying to find something toned down enough for my style, ankle support but don't want sore ankles from straps, price, etc. I'd love to wait for Kyrie's shoe to come out, might have done that had I known. Glad to see a Duke guard get his own line.

I miss the days of choosing from Nike, Reebok Pumps or Adidas.

Should one be considering Nike (they just happen to fit my feet, i have no brand loyalty) their web site has a tab on the left for sale items...just got my new walking/running shoes there, $170 list, marked down to $100, and in a classic Blue Devil color...will be on alert in case the side blows open.

Last Thursday the Duke University eStore had a limited number of the Kyrie 5 Duke PE (player edition) for sale. I couldn't help myself. They're being delivered today.

nike-kyrie-5-duke-flame-pe.jpg

More views here. (solecollector)

Quote Originally Posted by PensDevil View Post
    Last Thursday the Duke University eStore had a limited number of the Kyrie 5 Duke PE (player edition) for sale. I couldn't help myself. They're being delivered today.

Aaaaah! Why didn't you share sooner? Are these still available (other than through resellers)?
    Last edited by El_Diablo; 03-18-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Aaaaah! Why didn't you share sooner? Are these still available (other than through resellers)?
    Looks like they are sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by PensDevil View Post

I'll be crass: how much $$$?

Mrs. PensDevil got the email from the Duke eStore at 8:17am, stating a 9am on sale time. She forwarded it to me, but I didn't open it until a few minutes before 9am. Opened the link right at 9am and picked my size 13s which listed as having 6 available. Got my order confirmation email, then a few minutes later an out of stock email. After talking to someone at the store, I found my order did make it through. They were sold out in 20 minutes max it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Amazingly the same as the list price for a regular pair of Kyrie 5's: $130. I thought for sure the price would be jacked up. Free shipping too.

And Chuck Taylor's were about $7.95 when I was young. 😂

If you happen to share shoe-size with Zion he's probably got a boat-load of shoes that would be perfect for a rec player.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    If you happen to share shoe-size with Zion he's probably got a boat-load of shoes that would be perfect for a rec player.
    A boat load of Zion’s shoes? That’s just, like, six shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    I really don't think I could fill Zion's shoes...

He's listed as a size 14.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    They are going on ebay for ~$220

I never found Kyrie's to be comfortable, but have to admit that these do look cool

Check out "StockX". I have a friend who is a huge sneakerhead and he does a lot of buying and selling on here. He said from time to time you can find things pretty reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBlueDevil View Post
    Check out "StockX". I have a friend who is a huge sneakerhead and he does a lot of buying and selling on here. He said from time to time you can find things pretty reasonable.
    And GOAT. My son has bought shoes on GOAT several times and saved a pretty good amount.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block