• Bumblebee (Dec 21)

10 23.26%
  • Glass (Jan 18)

8 18.60%
  • Lego Movie 2 (Feb 8)

35 81.40%
  • How To Train Your Dragon 3 (Feb 22)

5 11.63%
  • Field (all other films not named above)

12 27.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Grinch reviews looking meh, but on the positive side. Fantastic Beasts reviews looking meh, on the negative side.
    I still think both movies are mostly review proof and safe, but I'm bummed that it is looking like Beasts is such a mess.
    My review of the Grinch... it is not essential but is cute. Kids will love it and the parents will find it more than tolerable. That should be a formula for well over $200 mil in boxoffice.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    My review of the Grinch... it is not essential but is cute. Kids will love it and the parents will find it more than tolerable. That should be a formula for well over $200 mil in boxoffice.
    Saw it Saturday night with the fam. I thought is was good and as Jason said more than tolerable. Several slapstick comedy moments that had me and my 9 year old laughing out loud. One thing I will say is the turnout was crazy. We have a small main street theater that has been refurbished that shows new movies for $4 bucks to compete with the larger brand new theater across town. They have two screens and had so much demand for the Grinch they ended up cancelling the showing of Rhapsody on screen 2 and opened it up for the overflow crowd all trying to get in to see the Grinch! They ended up selling out 2 showings at 7:00 which is kind of wild for a small town like ours. Not sure if that is translating to other areas or not but if so this will do huge business.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Grinch may be good, but I'm still in 1966 with Thurl Ravenscroft.

And I'm okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

Grinch was expected to do around $60 mil this weekend, but it busted through that number to pull a $66 mil opening. That's a big number for a holiday animated film. While it is possible Wreck-it Ralph will completely dominate the kids market (I sorta doubt it, as WIRs skew older than Grinch) this season, the odds are excellent that Grinch will pull a 3.5x or better multiple from its opening weekend to make well over $225 mil at the boxoffice. If I had to guess, I would say this film ends up closer to $250 mil. The A-Cinemascore is a good sign too.

Meanwhile, Bohemian Rap only fell $39.6% in its second weekend and is now at $100 mil in total boxoffice. I still think it is going to be tough for that film to reach $200 mil, but it has a chance and is clearly going over better with audiences than it did with critics.

-Jason "I am seeing Green Book today... not gonna be a player in our contest, but seems like a strong Oscar contender" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

And I'm okay with that.
    They sure have cutified the Grinch over the years.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Here's a trailer for the #1 movie of Summer '19.

Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Over Avengers 4? Hmmm, not so sure. That will be a battle Disney will love.

That was weird.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I bet you are right. In any other summer...

We talking domestic or worldwide?

Who would have thought Black Panther to beat out Infinity War for #1 in domestic gross?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    We talking domestic or worldwide?

Who would have thought Black Panther to beat out Infinity War for #1 in domestic gross?
    Domestic.

Based on what I have found, black panther grossed $700 million domestically and infinity war did $678 million. Toy Story 3 made $415 million, not adjusted for inflation. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say avengers 4 could easily beat out toy story 4. Unless my numbers are wrong or I am missing something.

Still peeved that they're making TS4. It was the perfect trilogy.

Not surprised, just disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Still peeved that they're making TS4. It was the perfect trilogy.

Not surprised, just disappointed.
    I'm peeved that they are making Avengers 4. It was the perfect trilogy of superhero films I've never watched.

Enough with the people in tights films, very disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    That was weird.
    Yup, it was. But this is really, really funny.

-Jason "all the money... Disney is coming for all the money" Evans

Domestic.

Based on what I have found, black panther grossed $700 million domestically and infinity war did $678 million. Toy Story 3 made $415 million, not adjusted for inflation. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say avengers 4 could easily beat out toy story 4. Unless my numbers are wrong or I am missing something.
    Incredibles2 did $600 million. Finding Dory did over $500 million. If TS4 is as big as Incredibles2 and Avengers4 disappoints...I don't think it's out of the question. I wouldn't be a pie on it though.

Hot Take: Toy Story 4 won't even be the biggest film of its genre in summer 2019. Just not electric enough...

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Hot Take: Toy Story 4 won't even be the biggest film of its genre in summer 2019. Just not electric enough...
    You are thinking Secret Life of Pets 2 will beat Toy Story 4, huh? That is certainly a hot take. I'd say that would qualify as a major surprise.

Want my hot take for this winter? Fantastic Beasts 2 is going to have a tough time making $200 mil and if it finishes in our top 5, it will be in 5th place.

You are thinking Secret Life of Pets 2 will beat Toy Story 4, huh? That is certainly a hot take. I'd say that would qualify as a major surprise.
    Agreed. I'll take that pie bet if anyone is offering.

Nope. The clue for my prediction was in my second sentence. You need to increase your detective work

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Agreed. I'll take that pie bet if anyone is offering.
    I'd set the line at Toy Story 4 -$120 mil. Meaning I think TS4 will earn $120 mil more than SLOP2.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Nope. The clue for my prediction was in my second sentence. You need to increase your detective work
    Detective Pikachu is barely in the same genre and there is a 0% chance it makes anything close to TS4. I'd make TS4 a -$225 mil favorite in that contest.