Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    In roughly chronological order:

"Ave Maria" -- from a music box hung on the wall, one note at a time, laying down to nap - earliest memory

"Hail to the Redskins" - Corinne Griffith lyrics - some of us were raised right

"Oak Tree" - Morris Day - locker room, pre-game, hs hoops

"I Melt with You" - Modern English

"Rambling on My Mind" - Eric Clapton from the live album "Just One Night" - blasting it in early morning while drinking beer and painting a porch in summertime

"Fight, Fight Blue Devils" and "Devil with a Blue Dress On" - naturally

"Roam" - the B-52s - really liked, and playing in the operating room as I went under for surgery

"And It Stoned Me" - Van Morrison - spring semester of senior year at Duke

"The Perfect Country and Western Song" - David Allen Coe - ditto

"Love Me Like a Man" - Bonnie Raitt - probably my favorite song of all time

"Life is a Highway" - Tom Cochrane - a formal occasion - tuxes - people literally dancing on tables

"Baby, Now That I've Found You" - Alison Krauss and Union Station - dancing w/ a newborn, tears

"Pompeii" - Bastille - Duke's 2013 FB season video

"Shut Up and Dance" - Walk the Moon -

"Ubi Caritas" - Maurice Durufle - Every Holy Thursday, tears ("where charity and love are, God is there")

"Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5" - Paavo Jarvi conducting National Symphony (Oct 2021) - the audience thundered its applause after the other-worldly tight/magnificent performance -- the best in the world at the height of their powers and concentration -- after the conductor motioned for the entire orchestra to stand for its third bow, the players took their cue from the concertmaster and remained seated, and the conductor dropped his head, and reluctantly took the bow alone, giving in to the sign of respect from the players ... as cool as Cameron at its best. [RECORDINGS - PAAVO JÄRVI]

"O Magnum Mysterium" - Morten Lauridsen (Chamber Choir of Europe recording) - tears; Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    In roughly chronological order:

"Ave Maria" -- from a music box hung on the wall, one note at a time, laying down to nap - earliest memory

"Hail to the Redskins" - Corinne Griffith lyrics - some of us were raised right

"Oak Tree" - Morris Day - locker room, pre-game, hs hoops

"I Melt with You" - Modern English

"Rambling on My Mind" - Eric Clapton from the live album "Just One Night" - blasting it in early morning while drinking beer and painting a porch in summertime

"Fight, Fight Blue Devils" and "Devil with a Blue Dress On" - naturally

"Roam" - the B-52s - really liked, and playing in the operating room as I went under for surgery

"And It Stoned Me" - Van Morrison - spring semester of senior year at Duke

"The Perfect Country and Western Song" - David Allen Coe - ditto

"Love Me Like a Man" - Bonnie Raitt - probably my favorite song of all time

"Life is a Highway" - Tom Cochrane - a formal occasion - tuxes - people literally dancing on tables

"Baby, Now That I've Found You" - Alison Krauss and Union Station - dancing w/ a newborn, tears

"Pompeii" - Bastille - Duke's 2013 FB season video

"Shut Up and Dance" - Walk the Moon -

"Ubi Caritas" - Maurice Durufle - Every Holy Thursday, tears ("where charity and love are, God is there")

"Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5" - Paavo Jarvi conducting National Symphony (Oct 2021) - the audience thundered its applause after the other-worldly tight/magnificent performance -- the best in the world at the height of their powers and concentration -- after the conductor motioned for the entire orchestra to stand for its third bow, the players took their cue from the concertmaster and remained seated, and the conductor dropped his head, and reluctantly took the bow alone, giving in to the sign of respect from the players ... as cool as Cameron at its best. [RECORDINGS - PAAVO JÄRVI]

"O Magnum Mysterium" - Morten Lauridsen (Chamber Choir of Europe recording) - tears; Merry Christmas!
    I chose “Life is a Highway” as my theme song for my retirement party from Deloitte in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    I chose “Life is a Highway” as my theme song for my retirement party from Deloitte in 2015.
    It's a good song. Did they play the "Cars"/Rascal Flatts version?

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    It's a good song. Did they play the "Cars"/Rascal Flatts version?
    Cochrane.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    The way I read this is music that takes you back to a specific time and place rather than your favorite music. I pretty much just listened to country music until I was probably in college. But most of these were incredibly popular during a specific time period and hearing them takes me back to a specific moment or series of moments.

https://youtu.be/pq9bHd58-LA
    One of the first songs I ever remember. My parents had an 8-track and loved Anne Murray. It's impossible for me to hear this song and not be transported to that old Buick with bench seats.

https://youtu.be/BqDjMZKf-wg
    This song seemed impossibly subversive to me. Dad coached basketball and I heard this song all the time in like third grade when it came out.

https://youtu.be/6rWFDZ5f5DA
    I remember hearing this in 7th grade, the first year I went away to basketball camp by myself. This album would be the very first bit of music I ever spent my own money on.

https://youtu.be/0UIB9Y4OFPs
    It's hard to describe just how popular this was at my middle school. The whole entire album was all anyone listened to for about a year and a half it seemed. Now it's up there with Nickelback for music that the most strippers have removed clothes to.

https://youtu.be/bOgTRD6aiI8
    Probably my favorite song during my high school years. I remember my best friend and I singing this after losing in the Elite 8 to the eventual state champions my senior year.

https://youtu.be/MS91knuzoOA
    I remember this coming out my freshman year of college and it just sounded so different than anything else I had ever heard. At the time I was mostly listening to country.
    We must be the same age but growing up in different places...here's a take from a parallel universe:

Birth until entering elementary school:
    -"House at Pooh Corner" - Loggins and Messina
    -"Saturday Night" - Bay City Rollers
    -"50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" - Paul Simon - I loved the rhyming

Elementary School:
    -'Another One Bites the Dust" - Queen
    -"Down Under" - Men at Work
    -Anything Beatles and Elton John and Billy Joel's greatest hits
    -"Through Being Cool" - Devo
    -"Electric Avenue" - Eddy Grant

Middle School
    -"Jump" - Van Halen
    -"Round and Round" - Ratt
    -"Home Sweet Home" - Motley Crue
    -"Let's Go Crazy" - Prince
    -"Billie Jean" - Jacko

High School
    -"Microphone Fiend" - Eric B and Rakiim
    -"Ramble On" - Zep
    -"Wish You Were Here" - Floyd
    -"Bring the Noise" - Public Enemy
    -The Bob Marley Legend Album

Duke:
    -The Dead
    -Phish
    -Beastie Boys "Check Your Head" album
    -Cypress Hill's eponymous debut
    -Dre and Snoop
    -Grunge
    -Pavement

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Cochrane.
    At roughly the time in the early-mid 90s when this version was very popular, Duke’s field goal kicker aaa named Tom Cochran. So hearing that song makes me think of him which makes me think of the 8-3 1994 season which is the rare pleasant memory for Duke football fans of a certain age…

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    We must be the same age but growing up in different places...here's a take from a parallel universe:

Birth until entering elementary school:
    -"House at Pooh Corner" - Loggins and Messina
    -"Saturday Night" - Bay City Rollers
    -"50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" - Paul Simon - I loved the rhyming

Elementary School:
    -'Another One Bites the Dust" - Queen
    -"Down Under" - Men at Work
    -Anything Beatles and Elton John and Billy Joel's greatest hits
    -"Through Being Cool" - Devo
    -"Electric Avenue" - Eddy Grant

Middle School
    -"Jump" - Van Halen
    -"Round and Round" - Ratt
    -"Home Sweet Home" - Motley Crue
    -"Let's Go Crazy" - Prince
    -"Billie Jean" - Jacko

High School
    -"Microphone Fiend" - Eric B and Rakiim
    -"Ramble On" - Zep
    -"Wish You Were Here" - Floyd
    -"Bring the Noise" - Public Enemy
    -The Bob Marley Legend Album

Duke:
    -The Dead
    -Phish
    -Beastie Boys "Check Your Head" album
    -Cypress Hill's eponymous debut
    -Dre and Snoop
    -Grunge
    -Pavement
    In middle and high school I hated hair band music. And I have a deep and unabashed disdain for classic rock. I was pretty much all country all the time until LL Cool J "Radio" and "Bigger and Deffer" albums. Really got into rap and that continued. I definitely got into Eric B and Rakim, Public Enemy, Fat Boys, Run DMC in high school. REALLY got into Beastie Boys too. Big Cyprus Hill fan to this day. And of course Dre and Snoop. Lived on the East Coast, but a West Coast rap fan in the 90s. Got into grunge and still like alternative rock. Despise country music today and blame Garth Brooks for pushing it in the bubble gum pop direction, even though he was my favorite artist in high school. Favorite artists of all time: George Strait and Beastie Boys. Walked to Adam Yauch park and where Tupac got shot in my travels.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    In middle and high school I hated hair band music. And I have a deep and unabashed disdain for classic rock. I was pretty much all country all the time until LL Cool J "Radio" and "Bigger and Deffer" albums. Really got into rap and that continued. I definitely got into Eric B and Rakim, Public Enemy, Fat Boys, Run DMC in high school. REALLY got into Beastie Boys too. Big Cyprus Hill fan to this day. And of course Dre and Snoop. Lived on the East Coast, but a West Coast rap fan in the 90s. Got into grunge and still like alternative rock. Despise country music today and blame Garth Brooks for pushing it in the bubble gum pop direction, even though he was my favorite artist in high school. Favorite artists of all time: George Strait and Beastie Boys. Walked to Adam Yauch park and where Tupac got shot in my travels.
    This explains why we get along.

Swap out George Strait for Willie or Johnny, and I could write almost the same story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    This explains why we get along.

Swap out George Strait for Willie or Johnny, and I could write almost the same story.
    Oh I love Johnny and Willie only slightly less than I love my kids. But I like the fact that I could make a 3 or 4 hour drive listening to George Strait #1s without having a song repeat.

https://theboot.com/george-strait-no-1-songs/