Page 1829 of 3384 FirstFirst ... 82913291729177918191827182818291830183118391879192923292829 ... LastLast
Results 36,561 to 36,580 of 67668
    Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    I helped my dad re-roof our carport when I was in HS. It was during the summer. I told him I'd help him from 6am - 10am every day, and even that was pretty miserable. Hats off to those who make a living doing this kind of work!
    One of my mission trip youth has helped roof multiple times - KY, ND, and NM. If the psychology/journalism thing doesn't work out for her, she has a fall back.

As a teenager, I helped my dad add un-coated fiberglass insulation in our crawl space. Itched for about a week. Had to trash the clothes I wore, as anytime I wore them, I would start itching all over again. This was before such safety features as masks. Fortunately, I'm still able to breath without artificial means.

I used to normalize pressure discs used in pressure switches for large trucks, i.e. PACCAR, Freightliner, Volvo(Mack), etc. Put 10 through the punch press to create a dimple in the disc. Put 10 through the pressure tester. Repeat.

What was nice was that it was 4 1/2 day work week and it was the summer in the Seattle area. I was out of there on Friday shortly after the cloud cover had "burned" off.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    As a teenager, I helped my dad add un-coated fiberglass insulation in our crawl space. Itched for about a week. Had to trash the clothes I wore, as anytime I wore them, I would start itching all over again. This was before such safety features as masks. Fortunately, I'm still able to breath without artificial means.
    Don't ever take up smoking.

I always remember to wear protective clothing when working with any kind of fiberglass insulation. Unfortunately, I remember it while I'm in the middle of working with fiberglass insulation. D'oh.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    She is a pre-school teacher.
    Hah! Those things are not mutually exclusive!

As someone who just got a new roof quote yesterday, I'm really getting a kick out of these replies.

So, metal roof or shingles?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    As someone who just got a new roof quote yesterday, I'm really getting a kick out of these replies.

I'd like a metal roof, not sure my HOA would go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I'd like a metal roof, not sure my HOA would go for it.
    My neighborhood is suddenly almost exclusively metal roofs. Apparently the cost of shingles has increased dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    I think this went around a few pages ago, but it makes me think, "What was my worst job ever?" I don't really think I had a bad job. Most monotonous? As an early teen I used to shrink wrap books for a small Native American publishing company. It consisted of taking a dozen books out of a box, shrink wrapping them, then putting them back in the box. I think I made $3 a box. I especially liked the small books in the small boxes.
    As I mentioned a few days ago, I worked a summer at Marble Slab Creamery and that was my worst job ever...turned me off of ice cream for a while, and I have a lingering (though fading) scar from a severe waffle iron burn (I was on cone duty that day...OUCH).

grad_devil's post that I've quoted here reminds me of my undergrad job at the Gothic Bookshop in the Bryan Center. I loved that job...I got to be around books and get paid for it, it taught me a lot about time management as a busy student, and I was able to have enough running around money to have my fun without always begging my parents for cash. Fond memories of those three years.

My neighborhood is suddenly almost exclusively metal roofs. Apparently the cost of shingles has increased dramatically.
    Our architectural committee dictates color and type of shingles that need to be used. I build a shed and found that out as part of the process.

With that said, I've noticed other sheds/gazebos/etc. in the neighborhood that have incorrect shingles.

And Sasquatch is my cousin, Kim. I don't know how in the world you saw it that way. do you have an eye appointment lined up soon?
    Yes, it really is inexcusable. In conciliation, Kim - can use my tattoo design if desired.

I'd like to see it get some use. My daughter spent 3 (maybe 4) mins concocting it - and although I was warmed by its simple genius, the community reaction was to mock me for only having one arm.

I'd go with metal if it's standing seam...got mine 21 years ago, it looks like the day they installed it. Marvelous.

I'm not sure of the status of asphalt based shingles these days..they went thru a horrid period a decade or so ago when nearly all the major brands cheapened their recipe due to the price of oil, and it led to astronomical failures...had a friend with alleged 30 year architectural shingles, they failed in five years...this was very common, the manufacturers (sensing bankruptcy) denied almost all claims claiming that installation was wrong, etc, etc...there was a local handyman savant who had a column in our local rag, he wrote about this for years, it really was a mess...SO, you might want to make sure that whatever shingle you might choose is actually holding up well...

If you go with metal, do be advised that your roof dynamics will change, especially if you have snow...I am available for free consultations!

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Our architectural committee dictates color and type of shingles that need to be used. I build a shed and found that out as part of the process.

With that said, I've noticed other sheds/gazebos/etc. in the neighborhood that have incorrect shingles.
    Committees can make things expensive, can't they? Aunt and uncle had a nice home on Cape Cod, compliant cedar shingles cost them $100,000, ouch, ouch, ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'd go with metal if it's standing seam...got mine 21 years ago, it looks like the day they installed it. Marvelous.

If you go with metal, do be advised that your roof dynamics will change, especially if you have snow...I am available for free consultations!
    I second all of this.

But perhaps you should weigh budwom's advice over mine. I replaced (or reinstalled) a gutter 5 times before I installed snow breaks. One time I had to replace the fascia too. Seems simple now, but I was leery of poking holes in our roof as a solution to anything. That and a steep pitch and the wrong ladders.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    I second all of this.

But perhaps you should weigh budwom's advice over mine. I replaced (or reinstalled) a gutter 5 times before I installed snow breaks. One time I had to replace the fascia too. Seems simple now, but I was leery of poking holes in our roof as a solution to anything. That and a steep pitch and the wrong ladders.
    Ours is a pretty shallow pitch, and same guy will be installing new gutter guards to work with the new roof.

The guy seems good. Part time fireman. Has done several roofs in the neighborhood.

I like the idea of never thinking about my roofing again.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    I second all of this.

I can identify with this! First, thru dumb luck, it turned out that my gutters are mounted kind of low, so when the (literally) tons of snow slide off, they shoot over the top of the gutters, don't tear off.

I finally got snow breaks this year (long boring story) but this is a new wave kind and entails zero holes in the roof...they are very low profile, but clamp onto the standing seams themselves, no holes anywhere...got good advice from a friend on those. Should have done it years ago.

Like BlueTeuf says, gutters can be a real issue, you might want to adjust them or get rid of them (I got rid of them on one side, then to prevent erosion (from rain, melting snow) I put down several inches of crushed stone...all depends on what look you want, where your doors are, etc.

Ours is a pretty shallow pitch, and same guy will be installing new gutter guards to work with the new roof.

The guy seems good. Part time fireman. Has done several roofs in the neighborhood.

I like the idea of never thinking about my roofing again.
    I'd quiz him on the gutter guards...if you have major snow, it's apt to rip off the gutter guards if they are directly in the way of sliding snow...make sure the snow can whiz right over them...

My metal roof is going to outlast me by decades, I'm sure.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    GEEZ!!! I guess I'll have to start checking the boards at 2am just to defend myself. I will NEVER post a personal pic again. I'll stick with birds.

Thank you, Bdevil! I should have clarified that the response was more directly aimed at Bdevil since she asked the question and I knew she was probably wondering which sibling that was next to me. I should know better than to leave something hanging that low on this thread.

Jeff would probably kill me if he knew I had posted that. And nothing beyond normal sibling rivalry. Please get past this.

And Sasquatch is my cousin, Kim. I don't know how in the world you saw it that way. do you have an eye appointment lined up soon?
    But the LTE loves it when you start something!! That's what we live for around here.

I had a metal roof put on a little over a year ago. Love it. Very loud when it rains hard.