Page 9 of 149 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bullettoothtony View Post
    Curious about this myself

I read somewhere that he wants to hear from us. Don't know if he has.
    I think Duke's last 7-footer was Zoubs wasn't it? That turned out pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    I think Duke's last 7-footer was Zoubs wasn't it? That turned out pretty well.
    Isn’t Marshall a 7 footer?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Isn’t Marshall a 7 footer?

-jk
    Marshall Plumlee was listed at 7'0". Antonio Vrankovic was listed at 7'0". Mark Williams (2020-21 freshman) is also listed at 7'0".

Going back, Brian Zoubek was listed at 7'1", George Burgin was listed at 7'0" and Marty Nessley was listed at 7'2.

Those are all the "official" 7 footers coached by Coach K at Duke.

Holmgren is an intriguing prospect. 7 footer, can handle the ball and shoot with some range, skinny like you wouldn’t believe. He makes high school Brandon Ingram look beefy and filled out. He recently visited UNC and picked up an offer from Roy. I can’t imagine why anyone would want to go there given the current state of affairs, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Holmgren is an intriguing prospect. 7 footer, can handle the ball and shoot with some range, skinny like you wouldn’t believe. He makes high school Brandon Ingram look beefy and filled out. He recently visited UNC and picked up an offer from Roy. I can’t imagine why anyone would want to go there given the current state of affairs, but who knows.
    No, I get it. Roy Williams wants a pair of 7-footers manning the post for a few years. Walker Kessler will be a sophomore when Chet Holmgren is a freshman, so they'll have a least three years together, maybe four or more if John Swofford allows it.

UNC fans will drool, thinking they're Eric Montross and Kevin Salvadori all over again, and that Roy is Dean and the Carolina Way is back for good. They will also drool because they have slack jaws and don't carry around handkerchiefs, towels, or even fast food napkins. That campus is about to become very sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    No, I get it. Roy Williams wants a pair of 7-footers manning the post for a few years. Walker Kessler will be a sophomore when Chet Holmgren is a freshman, so they'll have a least three years together, maybe four or more if John Swofford allows it.

UNC fans will drool, thinking they're Eric Montross and Kevin Salvadori all over again, and that Roy is Dean and the Carolina Way is back for good. They will also drool because they have slack jaws and don't carry around handkerchiefs, towels, or even fast food napkins. That campus is about to become very sticky.
    But who would play the role of Matt Wenstrom?

What list of Carolina big men would be complete without Serge Zwikker, the "Dutch Windmill"?

I don't think you really want Holmgren at unc. He is very, very good.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    What list of Carolina big men would be complete without Serge Zwikker, the "Dutch Windmill"?
    he was great, but no one could touch The Fing

Holmgren is an intriguing prospect. 7 footer, can handle the ball and shoot with some range, skinny like you wouldn’t believe. ...
    So, the second coming of Kevin Durant? I say offer him a scholly.

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    I don't think you really want Holmgren at unc. He is very, very good.

I agree. True, he's really thin but he looks awfully skilled.

Holmgren is skinny like you wouldn’t believe. He makes high school Brandon Ingram look beefy and filled out.
    I was intrigued after your comments about Chet Holmgren, so I looked up some photos . My gosh, you weren’t kidding. I didn’t think it was possible for a high-level basketball player to be skinnier than Brandon was at Duke, but, boy was I wrong! Talk about the ectomorph body type to the extreme, my goodness.

I haven’t seen young Holmgren play, but I have to wonder how he keeps from getting pushed around and absolutely manhandled near the basket.

Really

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    he was great, but no one could touch The Fing
    What about Kris Lang?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I was intrigued after your comments about Chet Holmgren, so I looked up some photos . My gosh, you weren’t kidding. I didn’t think it was possible for a high-level basketball player to be skinnier than Brandon was at Duke, but, boy was I wrong! Talk about the ectomorph body type to the extreme, my goodness.

I haven’t seen young Holmgren play, but I have to wonder how he keeps from getting pushed around and absolutely manhandled near the basket.
    Holmgren is a highly intriguing basketball prospect. He is incredibly skilled, can handle, shoot, block shots, and score at all 3 levels. He is the definition of "unicorn" in the modern basketball sense. Any college team that gets his services for a year are going to be big-time competitors. And he seems like a high character kid. I hope Duke gets more involved.

This summer, a video went viral of Holgren playing at Steph Curry's camp and he was being guarded by Curry. He went behind his back twice (reminiscent of Kenny Anderson vs Bobby Hurley for those old enough to remember), went past Curry and then dunked. It was a popular video that garnered much attention given the sight of the unknown gangly 7 foot teenager going at Curry. I can't find a link now, but I remember that it was said that he wanted to hear from Duke and that soon after his stock began to rise and Duke did reach out to establish contact.

I'm on mobile, but here is a link to the play in question.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bC0hpjBo2z8

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Is Duke interested in Chet Holmgren ? He's a 7ft center out of Minnesota. Rivals has him ranked in the top 5 of this recruiting cycle.
    Carolina just offered him. He has some amazing YouTube videos showing a sweet shooting stroke for a kid who stands 7-1, but if you look at his AAU stats from last year... well, lets just say that 7 ppg, 5 rpg, 1 bpg while hitting 23% of your 3s is not exactly dominating the competition.

-Jason "he clearly has a lot of learn... if K wants to teach him, I've got no problem with that" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Holmgren is a highly intriguing basketball prospect. He is incredibly skilled, can handle, shoot, block shots, and score at all 3 levels. He is the definition of "unicorn" in the modern basketball sense. Any college team that gets his services for a year are going to be big-time competitors. And he seems like a high character kid. I hope Duke gets more involved.

reminds me of tom buleson

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    What about Kris Lang?
    ah KLang! Had a good rookie year, totally declined thereafter.
    And KLang (inadvertently) was the originator of the expression "in the truck" (small DBR factoid that could be verified by Julio) for a guy who commits someplace...KLang climbed into his uncle's pickup, and the rest is history.

That photo of Kris Lang reclining on the UNC bench is an unforgettable classic.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Carolina just offered him. He has some amazing YouTube videos showing a sweet shooting stroke for a kid who stands 7-1, but if you look at his AAU stats from last year... well, lets just say that 7 ppg, 5 rpg, 1 bpg while hitting 23% of your 3s is not exactly dominating the competition.

-Jason "he clearly has a lot of learn... if K wants to teach him, I've got no problem with that" Evans
    To be fair, those were his stats from the 2018-19 season. He didn't really take off until this past summer, and earned a trip to USAB this past fall. He has apparently been a late bloomer.