Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Uniform: White Helmets, Blue Jerseys, White Pants
    Finally we can really say our blue is better, rather than our black is better.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Finally we can really say our blue is better, rather than our black is better.
    Our blue was better in 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HDER1w26Eg

Duke 28, Carolina 27
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Specifically the white hellraiser helmets I believe.
    ...the white with the metallic blue devil head?

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ...the white with the metallic blue devil head?
    Yes on the head, not so sure about it being metallic, but it's blue.

DrgqCaxXQAEJsZX.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Err...not to be a downer and ruin all the good fun with the cute title, but the thread might get a bit more traffic if it were obvious to lay-people on the board that this thread refers to the upcoming Duke-unc football game. The rivalry component and the football component are both a bit...opaque as currently presented. I realize one might expect Duke fans to recognize Duke's motto, but I'm not sure that is a realistic expectation (and it certainly won't jump out as a game thread for most anyone who is quickly skimming thread titles for the "interesting" ones). I definitely missed it until now, even though it was presumably on the front page at some point.
    But from the title you had to know that the Heels were involved - that part isn’t opaque😀

Helmet:

Helmet.jpg
    Bob Green

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Our blue was better in 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HDER1w26Eg

Duke 28, Carolina 27
    Thanks for the correction. Still a bad taste from the “our Blue is better” marketing from 2014, when we then came out in black.

Speaking of which, State is in all black tonight. Isn’t a great look in my opinion. (It appears to be a black out game for then.)

I am color blind, a little, and they look like black uniforms. But my wife is not. She thinks State is in blue. What gives? Deep blue for NCS. Even Wake uniforms look strange - white with shiny gold helmets?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    But from the title you had to know that the Heels were involved - that part isn’t opaque😀
    I'm happy someone knew.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    This is a compilation of photos related to the 1939 Duke - Carolina game. Both teams were ranked and Wallace Wade was in charge.
    https://www.heraldsun.com/sports/col...221291120.html

Be sure the sound is on because it adds to impressions of the times.
    That was a terrific photo compilation/slideshow. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    That was a terrific photo compilation/slideshow. Thanks.
    It's important to know our history... especially when it leads to traditions.

We finally have a blackout map:

Stations again:
    http://theacc.com/sports/2018/9/5/ac...018-11-10.aspx

Free, unrestricted stream:
    http://theacc.com/watch/?id=151098

Here are your options based on location:

Black:
    -On TV on station from list above
    -Online via link above

Green:
    -On TV via ESPN College Extra (not all providers, DirecTV 792/Verizon FIOS 825)
    -Online via ACC Network section of WatchESPN
    -Online via link above

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    It's important to know our history... especially when it leads to traditions.
    So 79 years later, our rivalry game will draw 40% less people....wonder how many football rivalries are in that kind of shape versus where they were in 39...or 49, or 59, or 69, or 99...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    My favorite old program:

Attachment 8782

My second favorite:

Attachment 8783
    I know it's a mascot-eat-mascot world, but my tastes veer toward the non-cannibal side.

There are many vintage programs for Carolina-Duke. Here are two:

Duke UNC 1941.jpg

Finally, a cover image of the Iron Dukes office. "What's that? You're holding the tickets in your hand? Then why are you calling? Hold on... I need to get rid of the NC State guy on the other line, who also somehow has tickets."

On November 15, 1941, Duke hosted Carolina and beat them 20-0, in the homestretch of an undefeated regular season. (This was the Rose Bowl-in-Durham season, which has been discussed on DBR before.)

Duke UNC 1982.jpg

It was nice of them to put Red Wilson on the program cover of what looks like his final game as Duke's head coach. Duke hosted Carolina and beat them 23-17, finishing the season 6-5. Bowl eligible? Not exactly. I doubt there were enough bowls back then, or that 6 was any kind of magic number. Bowl committees must have discovered easy corporate money, corruption, and incompetence later.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post

Stations again:

Black:
    -Online via link above

Green:
    -Online via link above
    Once again, as a resident of Mobile, AL this map both angers and confuses me.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post

Stations again:

Black:
    -Online via link above

Green:
    -Online via link above
    Looks like you saved me, awhom...I generally get all the Duke games on DirecTV college extra, but a tiny station up here in Vermont has started carrying ACC games, and 792 will be blacked out. Thanks!
    (now I just hope the game is good, I'll be attending, but if we lose I just delete the recording and sulk).

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I know it's a mascot-eat-mascot world, but my tastes veer toward the non-cannibal side.

Duke UNC 1941.jpg

Finally, a cover image of the Iron Dukes office. "What's that? You're holding the tickets in your hand? Then why are you calling? Hold on... I need to get rid of the NC State guy on the other line, who also somehow has tickets."

On November 15, 1941, Duke hosted Carolina and beat them 20-0, in the homestretch of an undefeated regular season. (This was the Rose Bowl-in-Durham season, which has been discussed on DBR before.)

Duke UNC 1982.jpg

It was nice of them to put Red Wilson on the program cover of what looks like his final game as Duke's head coach. Duke hosted Carolina and beat them 23-17, finishing the season 6-5. Bowl eligible? Not exactly. I doubt there were enough bowls back then, or that 6 was any kind of magic number. Bowl committees must have discovered easy corporate money, corruption, and incompetence later.
    Many fewer bowls back then...generally took 8 wins to get one, maybe 7. 6 win teams simply did not go bowling. And while we're on the topic of Red Wilson - I've heard numerous reasons why he was fired. I am not connected like so many on here are...with deep ties into HQ. Can someone elaborate on why they let Red go? It certainly wasn't Ws and Ls.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

Duke UNC 1941.jpg

Duke UNC 1982.jpg

Ben Bennett at quarterback, Steve Spurrier as offensive coordinator. A goal post came down that day, and I still have a piece of it!

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Ben Bennett at quarterback, Steve Spurrier as offensive coordinator. A goal post came down that day, and I still have a piece of it!
    Somehow I was there for that game which was 1982 I think, did not get season tickets until 1985 or so, nothing was on TV up North.
    The game completely blew my mind...while I didn't know the personnel much at all, it was clear that unc had a whole bunch of really good defensive players, some of them NFL level,
    and while they got enormous pressure on Bennett, he kept them off balance all game long with timely screen passes, delays to running backs, despite what looked to me like a significant
    talent gap (though Bennett was terrific). Then I learned about Spurrier being OC and kept on eye on him as his reputation grew...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Somehow I was there for that game which was 1982 I think, did not get season tickets until 1985 or so, nothing was on TV up North.
    The game completely blew my mind...while I didn't know the personnel much at all, it was clear that unc had a whole bunch of really good defensive players, some of them NFL level,
    and while they got enormous pressure on Bennett, he kept them off balance all game long with timely screen passes, delays to running backs, despite what looked to me like a significant
    talent gap (though Bennett was terrific). Then I learned about Spurrier being OC and kept on eye on him as his reputation grew...
    The DUMB halftime show was ON FIRE that day also, if I recall correctly