Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

2018-19 Basketball catch all thread

OK, the NBA draft is over and there are discussions about Duke players in the NBA. There are also threads about 2019 football and basketball recruiting.

In the 2018 basketball recruiting thread there are some comments about Bolden and DeLaurier....

Perhaps it is time to start a thread specifically about 2018-19. How are the freshman doing at Duke...pick-up game thoughts...prep for the Canada trip..etc.

I have no great insight but just wanted to have a place to get info about the upcoming season.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    OK, the NBA draft is over and there are discussions about Duke players in the NBA. There are also threads about 2019 football and basketball recruiting.

In the 2018 basketball recruiting thread there are some comments about Bolden and DeLaurier...

Perhaps it is time to start a thread specifically about 2018-19. How are the freshman doing at Duke...pick-up game thoughts...prep for the Canada trip..etc.

I have no great insight but just wanted to have a place to get info about the upcoming season.
    It's been quite a while since I've heard about it, so I assume it's dead. But what ever happened to the Pro-Am that used to happen this time of year?

Always liked that little sneak peak.

- Chillin

Minutes in 5...4...3...2...

I know it is too early for schedules, but what about dates for Canada, Maui, Countdown to Craziness? We must know something.
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    I know it is too early for schedules, but what about dates for Canada, Maui, Countdown to Craziness? We must know something.
    I’m waiting for the date we play Texas Tech in NYC in December.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

K on Marques

https://frshoopz.com/cbb/coach-k-mar...y-next-season/

Coach K: Marques Bolden will be one of the best big men in the country next season

By
    Jon Rothstein
    June 25, 2018

Injuries have hampered the first two years of Marques Bolden’s college career. The former five-star prospect has had limited production after arriving at Duke with high expectations, but his head coach feels his fortunes are about to change.
    “We feel like Marques Bolden will be one of the best big men in the country next season,” Mike Krzyzewski said Monday on the College Hoops Today Podcast. “If you look at his career, he’s always battled injuries. We’re hopeful that now that he’s healthy, he’s going to have a heck of a season for us.”

Bolden averaged 3.9 points and 3.6 rebounds last season as a sophomore.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

In the spirit of this thread what about the first summer workout clip.
    lots of good stuff here including a non booted Reddish!
    https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/s...564800/video/1

I hope Coach K has got a boat load of food!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!

I want everyone, everyone, to know that Zion is my new best friend and he's got my back.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I’m waiting for the date we play Texas Tech in NYC in December.
    The internet has been especially silent about the non-conference schedule this year. We usually have all but 1-2 of those games from opposing newspapers by now. Duke has announced that portion in mid-July a few times as well. Consider that UNC and Wake have announced there dates already. The Iron Duke ticket brochure used to have the meat of the ACC schedule 2-3 weeks early. It used to be a DBR board exclusive.

For TX Tech, I would pencil 12/8 (Sat during reading period) over the weekend before Christmas (Th 20 - Sat 22).

We know Maui. It's M/T/W before Thanksgiving every year. You can Sharpie this one.

In case anybody was wondering, the Iron Dukes don't give hoot one about the new tax law and non-deductibility of the old 80%.

No deductions and "would you mind giving several more dollars if you have it?" letter came earlier this week.

Full steam ahead.

And, I already know nobody feels sorry for us.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    There was a brief moment where I was like "HOLY CRAP DID AOC GROW 4 INCHES?!?!?" until I noticed something...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    There was a brief moment where I was like "HOLY CRAP DID AOC GROW 4 INCHES?!?!?" until I noticed something...
    Cinder blocks!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    In case anybody was wondering, the Iron Dukes don't give hoot one about the new tax law and non-deductibility of the old 80%.

No deductions and "would you mind giving several more dollars if you have it?" letter came earlier this week.

Full steam ahead.

And, I already know nobody feels sorry for us.
    I've learned not to expect much for the Iron Dukes (not that they made the current tax law)...my dealings with them seem to meet with cheerful semi competence...

I just want to state for the record that this video in no way has me excited for the upcoming season. Nope, not at all. I am not even mildly excited.

-Jason "" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I just want to state for the record that this video in no way has me excited for the upcoming season. Nope, not at all. I am not even mildly excited.

-Jason "" Evans
    Makes me wonder if the rest of the Duke undergrads are putting in that kind of summer work for their upcoming semester

It is just damn foolish to chest-bump Zion.

This Hype Video has me HYPED

I know it's goal is to hype me up... and it worked!

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1022138697653907456

Is it too early to start speculating on the season? Now that the Maui bracket has been released, we have a pretty good idea of what the schedule is going to look like (minus the exact dates).

Champions Classic:
    - Kentucky (ranked #1 or #2)

Maui Invitational:
    - San Diego State, then likely Auburn (top-10) and Gonzaga (top-5)

ACC/B10 Challenge:
    - Indiana (in Cameron)

Other OOC games:
    - Texas Tech (in MSG)
    - St. John's (in Cameron)

ACC Schedule:
    - Home/Road: North Carolina, Syracuse, Virginia, Wake Forest
    - Home: Boston College, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Miami, NC State
    - Road: Florida State, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pitt, Virginia Tech

Then add in a few scrub opponents in the fall. By my count we have 13 games that I'd consider "losable." What I mean by that for each game, if we were to lose I wouldn't be surprised. That isn't to say that I expect to lose them all, or that we won't lose any of the other games, but basically these are the games that I will go into feeling a little worried. These games are the three November games, CHeat x2, Syracuse x2, UVA x2, @FSU, @Louisville, @ND, @VT. And yes, I am aware that there are other land mines as well. St. John's beat us last year. Indiana gave us a game. NC State is never a gimme even at home (they beat us in 2017 with our team mostly healthy).

Given this schedule, then adding the ACCT and NCAAT, I think a ten-loss season is a possibility. We lost 8 games last year and had a much easier schedule. We'll have a young team that will lose some games they shouldn't. The conference will be down, but still has some good teams and everybody will be gunning for us as always. And the start of our schedule is brutal, with three possible top-10 opponents in November.

What do you guys think? Am I being overly pessimistic?