Page 1364 of 3384 FirstFirst ... 3648641264131413541362136313641365136613741414146418642364 ... LastLast
Results 27,261 to 27,280 of 67668
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Transfer acceptance watch for T-Bone: he still hasn't heard from anywhere but William&Mary but he just got his financial aid award notice from them - he got a merit scholarship on par with the one he has from UVM!! We were not expecting that, we were hoping for at least some guaranteed student loans. Most of these schools tell you that merit awards are not available to transfer students. Yippee!! This probably means he'll get into to Duke but get no aid - right? The Duke decision comes tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Transfer acceptance watch for T-Bone: he still hasn't heard from anywhere but William&Mary but he just got his financial aid award notice from them - he got a merit scholarship on par with the one he has from UVM!! We were not expecting that, we were hoping for at least some guaranteed student loans. Most of these schools tell you that merit awards are not available to transfer students. Yippee!! This probably means he'll get into to Duke but get no aid - right? The Duke decision comes tomorrow.
    Great news, BD! Williamsburg would be a fun place for a history nerd to go to college, and I really love how doggedly your son is pursuing his highly specialized course of study.

I received word yesterday that one of my 8th graders from my first year teaching is now graduating from college and has accepted his offer of enrollment at Duke to study Computer Science. He says that I was the first person who made him want to go to Duke, and of course all of this makes my heart sing.

Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I received word yesterday that one of my 8th graders from my first year teaching is now graduating from college and has accepted his offer of enrollment at Duke to study Computer Science. He says that I was the first person who made him want to go to Duke, and of course all of this makes my heart sing.
    Congrats! As you note, that must be really invigorating to know that you made such an impact.

Awesome! Way to go, Teach!

A great story, thanks!

We're getting a polar vortex and snow this weekend?

We're getting a polar vortex and snow this weekend?
    You can have it! I’m past ready for spring.

-jk

I don't remember asking for that and if I did, I know I didn't say please.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    You can have it! I’m past ready for spring.
    I hear that. Hey Ma Nature! You're not helping!! Miserable old woman!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Anything that gets me clean(pollen free) air for a few days would be great.

Oh and mold too.

Alas, T-Bone got a no from Duke.

Alas, T-Bone got a no from Duke.
    Apparently, Duke isn't very smart in the transfer department.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Apparently, Duke isn't very smart in the transfer department.
    I know some impressive young people who go to Duke, but, if I'm being perfectly honest, my sons do not fit their current mold - including my oldest who attended. My kids have a 20% acceptance rate there, so, still above the average. The oldest got in, the Middles each applied as freshmen and as transfer students, so, double rejections for both of them. The family is 1 for 5. The youngest will not be applying. He will need to go to a smaller school. In my heart of hearts, I know that W&M (or Cornell) is the better place for T-Bone, but I still wanted him to have the option. Oh well. He hasn't heard from Cornell yet.

...As if millions of voices cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    ...As if millions of voices cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.
    The server must be on Alderaan.

I think it was an SB Nation issue as other sites I visit were having difficulties also.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I think it was an SB Nation issue as other sites I visit were having difficulties also.
    There are other sites? I thought the internet was just a vehicle for DBR?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    There are other sites? I thought the internet was just a vehicle for DBR?
    It should be, but surprisingly, there are other things out there.