Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Speaking of Knees (Medically)

I had a session with my orthopedist this week to discuss my knee situation as I prepare to enter my eighth decade and it appears that I am a candidate for knee replacement surgery. The time frame for such an adventure would probably be the fall, October. I was wondering if any on the board have had experience with knee replacement and might have advice on whether/how to approach it.

Any insights would be appreciated.

I have some indirect experience I am happy to share.

My mother has had both knees and a hip replaced. First one knee, then the second knee, then the hip. The first knee was worn out. The subsequent surgeries were at least partially due to compensating for the first knee as it degraded.

The typical knee replacement in the US is done using standard parts.
    Think t-shirt sizing- small, medium, large.
    The doctor will evaluate which is the best fit for you.

With the advent of 3d printing perhaps the practice is more common, my mother worked with a doctor in Denver (one of 3 in the US doing this) who custom sized the knee replacement to fit the patient.

Supposedly this makes the surgery easier, as well as faster and easier recovery.

In terms of outcomes, rehab was hard.
    In the end, my mother got the results she wanted, which was to keep being able to play tennis and ski.

Another information point to consider is knee replacement surgeries are typically good for 15-20 years before the bone cement degrades.

Hope this helps.

I wish you the best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I had a session with my orthopedist this week to discuss my knee situation as I prepare to enter my eighth decade and it appears that I am a candidate for knee replacement surgery. The time frame for such an adventure would probably be the fall, October. I was wondering if any on the board have had experience with knee replacement and might have advice on whether/how to approach it.

Any insights would be appreciated.
    I my self have osteoarthritis both knees.my left is worse than my right .
    Right now I am at the point my left knee hurts sometimes to the point I have a very pronounced limp.plus some stability issues.
    A coworker of mine is a former navy seal.he had his knee replaced last year.
    It's being redone.the new joint isnt functioning properly. Probably a very small chance of failure. Scared me enough to look for alternatives.

We have a industrial massuse at work.she gave me a cbd oil cream that she massages into my knees .it works for me.
    I was using voltaren gel.the CBS cream works wonders.ill post what brand it is after I get home.

I have read about stem cell therapy. But I do not know enough about it yet.
    Good luck my friend I share your pain.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I my self have osteoarthritis both knees.my left is worse than my right .
    Right now I am at the point my left knee hurts sometimes to the point I have a very pronounced limp.plus some stability issues.
    A coworker of mine is a former navy seal.he had his knee replaced last year.
    It's being redone.the new joint isnt functioning properly. Probably a very small chance of failure. Scared me enough to look for alternatives.

We have a industrial massuse at work.she gave me a cbd oil cream that she massages into my knees .it works for me.
    I was using voltaren gel.the CBS cream works wonders.ill post what brand it is after I get home.

I have read about stem cell therapy. But I do not know enough about it yet.
    Good luck my friend I share your pain.
    Its CBD clinic level 5 pro sport hemp oil ointment.

Do your homework. Have it done by an experienced, artful surgeon at a good facility. Some are better at this than others...

My MIL had a knee replaced, with the plan to do both. The surgery and recovery were so difficult, she decided to just ride it out without doing the other one.

Check your PMs!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Thanks for the responses. I have one interesting thing I want to share about my visit not related to my questions. I asked for a copy of the x-rays they took of my knees and they gave me a CD with images on it. The CD included the one below. I don't think that is my knee. I got extra bonus pictures.

I0010001-f.jpg

An update.

I have talked with several folks here in Greenville, SC who have had knee replacement surgery and are happy with the results and the doctor here who does many of them. Most have said that it wasn't any fun, but 6 months after the refurbished knees they were happy the did it. I have decided to proceed and am scheduled for the left knee on Friday July 12 so that's about week away. The right knee is scheduled for early October. I am doing special prehab exercises in addition to my normal 3 times a week cardio/strength workouts so I should be in decent shape for the procedure.

I live alone, but have a good friend whose wife is a nurse. They have prodded at me to opt for professional assistance for a time when I go home and recommended Home Care service that I have checked out and will probably engage for a time once I am out of the hospital. The service have options for 4, 8 or 24 hour services allowing a change at any time. I plan to start with 8 and see how it goes.

The timing on this means that I will have both knees done before I retire in early 2020. That's a pretty full schedule for the next several months.

Onward.

An update.

I have talked with several folks here in Greenville, SC who have had knee replacement surgery and are happy with the results and the doctor here who does many of them. Most have said that it wasn't any fun, but 6 months after the refurbished knees they were happy the did it. I have decided to proceed and am scheduled for the left knee on Friday July 12 so that's about week away. The right knee is scheduled for early October. I am doing special prehab exercises in addition to my normal 3 times a week cardio/strength workouts so I should be in decent shape for the procedure.

I live alone, but have a good friend whose wife is a nurse. They have prodded at me to opt for professional assistance for a time when I go home and recommended Home Care service that I have checked out and will probably engage for a time once I am out of the hospital. The service have options for 4, 8 or 24 hour services allowing a change at any time. I plan to start with 8 and see how it goes.

The timing on this means that I will have both knees done before I retire in early 2020. That's a pretty full schedule for the next several months.

Onward.
    Sending good vibes your way.
    Best of luck for a full and speedy recovery.

An update.

Onward.
    Good luck tomorrow camion! I hope your surgery is a great success and your rehab goes as well as possible. A friend of mine had a knee replacement a few years ago. I still remember the day I was talking behind her in the hall here at work and realized that she was strolling along with ease (she limped and was in pain for years). Just watching her comfortably strolling made me so happy (frankly, it almost brought me to tears)! Here's hoping that sometime soon you'll be comfortably strolling along!

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Best wishes and please update us when you feel up to it. Many of us will experience this in the coming years and your insights will be valuable. This probably sounds unintentionally selfish, but I am merely asking for the same reasons you started this thread (I am seeing an ortho for knee pain Monday). I sincerely hope all goes well with no complications. Please let us know.

Thanks for the good wishes. I think I'm mostly ready.

The requested arrival time is 5:30 AM Friday morning. I wonder if I'm first in line for a new knee on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    ...A friend of mine had a knee replacement a few years ago. I still remember the day I was talking behind her in the hall here at work and realized that she was strolling along with ease (she limped and was in pain for years). Just watching her comfortably strolling made me so happy...
    That might have been me. Too much running, boxing and step classes. Had them both done at the same time nearly three years ago. Best guy in the world, Robert Booth in Philadelphia. I think I kind of fell in love with the guy. My family still marvels at the difference in how I walk now.

It's something else.

And, no, I'll bet you'll have a fraternity/sorority of buddies with you tomorrow at zero dark thirty, camion!

Chins up and keep moving. Although, cursing and bad words are definitely allowed, hell, I think they are required.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Good luck!

'Tis done. Surgery happened on Friday 07/12.

I've been away from my computer for a while and so haven't felt like typing. In any event the surgery went well. I have a new left knee and spent two nights in the hospital. I'm home now and pretty much stuck here until the swelling in my knee goes down and it's a bit more bendable. I've started physical therapy with home visits for a couple of weeks.

The Good:
    Pain has pretty much subsided. I'm off the potent (opioid) pain meds for the most part. The PT folks say my progress is pretty normal.

The Bad:
    I still haven't found a comfortable position to sleep in my bed. It isn't really painful, but I can't find a good sleeping position. I generally move to the recliner for most of the night.

The Unexpected:
    There are three people in my group doing similar jobs and we cover for each other. I'm out now and I just learned that one the other team members is leaving to follow his girlfriend to Philadelphia before I return. OUCH!! This will really put a strain on the group and August is the busiest time of year for us.
    Last edited by camion; 07-17-2019 at 02:11 PM.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Glad to hear you are past the intense pain part and actually thinking about things other than your knee. I found out Monday I will need a partial within six months, so I am encouraged that your serious pain did not last too long. Please keep us apprised as to your capabilities and progress.

Getting old really does suck. The only thing worse is the alternative.

Just a quick update for historical/hysterical purposes.

I graduated from walker to cane today 18 days after surgery. Walking isn't a problem with little to no pain. I am being driven on field trips shopping and dining. My main problem dining out is finding a comfortable chair since the left (replaced) knee still doesn't bend fully. We also tested and I fit into my car both driver and passenger side so I'm looking forward to asking for driving authorization later this week. Apparently two important factors are cane competence and being drug free. I'm good on both; I haven't taken any pain meds since the first week.

My in home physical therapist has added to a growing list of exercises to be done twice daily. They take about 45 minutes per set now. Most are not difficult, but two or three require uncomfortable bending increasing range of motion. Here's a list for you perusal.

Physical therapy, in home exercises:

1. Feet press - 10-15 reps, 2-3 times/day
    2. Ankle pumps - 10-15 reps, 2-3 times/day
    3. Heel slides - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 10 sec
    5. Sit to stand - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 10 sec
    6. Straight leg hip rotation - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 10 sec
    8. Gentle leg lengthening - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 5 sec
    9. Knee Fall Outs - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 10 sec
    11. Mini Straight leg raises - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 3 sec
    13. Side to Side Weight Shifts - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    14. Side to Side Weight Shifts w/ Knee lift - 10 reps each leg, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    15. Forward and Back Weight Shifts - 10 reps each leg, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    16. Forward Weights Shifts with Knee list - 10 reps each leg, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    17. Back Leg Lifts - 10 reps each leg, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    22. Forward Weight Shifts on Step w/ knee lift - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    25. Wall Lunge with Reach - 3 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 20 sec
    31. Side Stepping at counter - 5 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    32. Walk Forward/Backward at counter - 5 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    33. Strap Assist Heel slides - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 10 sec
    41. Quad squeezes - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 10 sec
    42. Butt squeezes - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 10 sec

Just a quick update for historical/hysterical purposes.

I graduated from walker to cane today 18 days after surgery. Walking isn't a problem with little to no pain. I am being driven on field trips shopping and dining. My main problem dining out is finding a comfortable chair since the left (replaced) knee still doesn't bend fully. We also tested and I fit into my car both driver and passenger side so I'm looking forward to asking for driving authorization later this week. Apparently two important factors are cane competence and being drug free. I'm good on both; I haven't taken any pain meds since the first week.

My in home physical therapist has added to a growing list of exercises to be done twice daily. They take about 45 minutes per set now. Most are not difficult, but two or three require uncomfortable bending increasing range of motion. Here's a list for you perusal.

Physical therapy, in home exercises:

1. Feet press - 10-15 reps, 2-3 times/day
    2. Ankle pumps - 10-15 reps, 2-3 times/day
    3. Heel slides - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 10 sec
    5. Sit to stand - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 10 sec
    6. Straight leg hip rotation - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 10 sec
    8. Gentle leg lengthening - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 5 sec
    9. Knee Fall Outs - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 10 sec
    11. Mini Straight leg raises - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 3 sec
    13. Side to Side Weight Shifts - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    14. Side to Side Weight Shifts w/ Knee lift - 10 reps each leg, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    15. Forward and Back Weight Shifts - 10 reps each leg, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    16. Forward Weights Shifts with Knee list - 10 reps each leg, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    17. Back Leg Lifts - 10 reps each leg, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    22. Forward Weight Shifts on Step w/ knee lift - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    25. Wall Lunge with Reach - 3 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 20 sec
    31. Side Stepping at counter - 5 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    32. Walk Forward/Backward at counter - 5 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day
    33. Strap Assist Heel slides - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 10 sec
    41. Quad squeezes - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 10 sec
    42. Butt squeezes - 10 reps, 2 sets, 2 times/day, hold 10 sec

Thanks for the update! That's a helluva workout 2-3 times daily!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.