Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Canada - Mexico just starting in Edmonton. 17 degrees, 10 mph wind, snow cleared from the turf. I bet it’s like playing on concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Canada - Mexico just starting in Edmonton. 17 degrees, 10 mph wind, snow cleared from the turf. I bet it’s like playing on concrete.
    Ouch.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Ouch.

-jk
    And wait until we have to play in Canada January 30!

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    And how many picked Mexico to get 0 points this window?

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    And how many picked Mexico to get 0 points this window?
    In some ways, yesterday’s results were not great for the US. The presumptive third and fourth best sides (Canada and Panama) each gained 2 points on the US. So we now stand just 1 point above 4th.

That being said, our last 6 matches are a bit easier than Panama’s. Mainly because we get Panama at home. But our qualifying date may ultimately come down to that match, which is a scary proposition.

And Canada, who now has an easier schedule than us and gets to host us, is in better position than us with a 1 point lead as well. As fun as it is to see Mexico get the goose egg, that result was less favorable for us.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    In some ways, yesterday’s results were not great for the US. The presumptive third and fourth best sides (Canada and Panama) each gained 2 points on the US. So we now stand just 1 point above 4th.

That being said, our last 6 matches are a bit easier than Panama’s. Mainly because we get Panama at home. But our qualifying date may ultimately come down to that match, which is a scary proposition.

And Canada, who now has an easier schedule than us and gets to host us, is in better position than us with a 1 point lead as well. As fun as it is to see Mexico get the goose egg, that result was less favorable for us.
    I meant to say this over the weekend but Panama coming back to beat Honduras on Friday was unfortunate. If Panama had lost or worst case tied, I would be feeling more comfortable now.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I meant to say this over the weekend but Panama coming back to beat Honduras on Friday was unfortunate. If Panama had lost or worst case tied, I would be feeling more comfortable now.
    Yeah, them scoring 3 goals incredibly late really changed the dynamic. Even a draw there would have been a plus.

Coming out of this round just 1 point clear of 4th feels decent considering where the week started... but given the results as of our match Friday it feels a bit unfortunate. After beating Mexico, I'd have liked to see more separation between us and the playoff right now.

Four teams fighting for three spots. Game on.

Two comments:

1. Who the heck allowed the Canadians to schedule a night game at -9 degrees Celsius?

2. Mexico's comeback was very intense, and El Tri came within a few inches of a tying goal on more than one occasion.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

FIFA changed the format for the intercontinental playoff. The 4th place team from CONCACAF, the 5th place teams from Asia and South America, and the top team from Oceania will now play a single game at a neutral site, not a home and home. The 2 winners will be the final 2 qualifiers for the 2022 World Cup. As in the past, the matchups will be determined by random draw. Also unchanged is the desire of the other 3 confederations to avoid the CONMEBOL representative in the playoff.

Link

Im sorry CDu.

On the bright side, Portugal is a lot more pissed off than Italy.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Im sorry CDu.

On the bright side, Portugal is a lot more pissed off than Italy.
    It is about the worst-case scenario. Will have to win an away match against either Portugal or Turkey along with beating North Macedonia.

All because Jorginho missed that penalty.

Stupid Azzurri, and stupid draw luck!

It is about the worst-case scenario. Will have to win an away match against either Portugal or Turkey along with beating North Macedonia.

All because Jorginho missed that penalty.

Stupid Azzurri, and stupid draw luck!
    Speaking of draw luck, the intercontinental playoff draw was this morning and the 4th place CONCACAF team will play…[drum roll]…Oceania! You’d still rather finish in the top 3 but facing a sub-100 ranked team from Oceania beats the alternatives.

Gotta love the idea of Scotland vs. Wales with a World Cup spot on the line.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I found an authentic FIFA foosball table.

RealFoosball1.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Bumping this up - qualifier tonight vs. El Salvador. I always appreciate the insights here of those who know more about US Soccer than I do. Looks like they were expecting some snow in Columbus today and temps will be in the high 20s at game time tonight. It seems like this should be one of the easier games so is a a tie or loss would be really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Bumping this up - qualifier tonight vs. El Salvador. I always appreciate the insights here of those who know more about US Soccer than I do. Looks like they were expecting some snow in Columbus today and temps will be in the high 20s at game time tonight. It seems like this should be one of the easier games so is a a tie or loss would be really bad.
    Yeah, I feel like playing in Columbus is a nice boost against Mexico, but against an overmatched side like El Salvador it would probably be preferable to play in normal conditions and just let our talent win out. These conditions feel like they encourage randomness, and we don't want randomness in a game where we are the heavy favorite.

But, by that same token, we've got more guys with experience in unpleasant conditions in European leagues. So hopefully it still plays to our advantage.

Yeah, I feel like playing in Columbus is a nice boost against Mexico, but against an overmatched side like El Salvador it would probably be preferable to play in normal conditions and just let our talent win out. These conditions feel like they encourage randomness, and we don't want randomness in a game where we are the heavy favorite.

But, by that same token, we've got more guys with experience in unpleasant conditions in European leagues. So hopefully it still plays to our advantage.
    I know nothing about the Salvadoran team, but I’m guessing that their players don’t play in these conditions all that much. I tend to agree with your point, but hopefully kicking things off in Columbus will lead to 3 points that the US cannot afford to flub away and momentum headed into the next two matches.

For those here like me that do not know all of the players like I would Duke MBB players, here is an interested article on Yedlin, his childhood and his path up to, out of and back to MLS: https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-s...ears-in-europe
    Carolina delenda est

I just realized that the location of the two matches on US turf probably have more to do with the trip they take to Canada. With the Canada in game in Ontario the middle and three matches in a week, the team might as well travel, train and play in roughly similar conditions.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I just realized that the location of the two matches on US turf probably have more to do with the trip they take to Canada. With the Canada in game in Ontario the middle and three matches in a week, the team might as well travel, train and play in roughly similar conditions.
    Yeah, that is a good point. Clearly, the Canada match is the big one. Obviously we need those 3 points tonight, but hopefully talent and familiarity (McKennie, Adams, Aaronson, Pulisic, and several others have certainly played in snowy conditions in December/January in Germany, Austria, France, and the UK) will overcome any issues the weather might cause with randomness.