Page 2925 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 1925242528252875291529232924292529262927293529753025 ... LastLast
Results 58,481 to 58,500 of 67404
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Did he? Or did he go with the "I'm sorry you got your little feelings hurt" apology? I'm not a female but I am mediocre. I don't get to decide what is and isn't offensive. It never would have occurred to me that that word was offensive. What annoys me is someone just as mediocre as I am doubling down on something that other people might find offensive. If you want to make the point that we find too many things offensive. That's absolutely fine. People get to feel how they want to. People get to say what they want to. People get to find offense or not. I have a deep vein of don't care about this stuff honestly. But it's so easy to take responsibility and that dude didn't. That annoyed me.
    Yeah, that's fair. I gave his response the charitable reading, but he didn't have a good track record, and I can certainly agree that he may not have meant it quite as charitably as all that. It is certainly not the way I would have written a post if I had intended to be conciliatory. Some people definitely have trouble admitting fault, even when it involves zero personal cost.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Signing Day tomorrow.

Pitchers and Catchers start reporting February 13.

I’m betting the groundhog does not see his shadow. Bring on spring.
    "Pitchers and catchers report" is one of my favorite phrases in the English language. I get positively giddy with the days getting longer. Plus I travel so much that I really notice the days getting longer at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Yeah, that's fair. I gave his response the charitable reading, but he didn't have a good track record, and I can certainly agree that he may not have meant it quite as charitably as all that. It is certainly not the way I would have written a post if I had intended to be conciliatory. Some people definitely have trouble admitting fault, even when it involves zero personal cost.
    I will say, it's better than the "apology" of "I'm sorry if anyone was offended."

What's funny is it so easy to lie in that situation. You can pretend that you care or you can even just shut up about it. It's defending it that annoys the piss out of me. I literally don't care if he feels bad or not. I don't care who finds it offensive or not. None of that matters in this scenario. It was purely his response that annoyed me. I've misgendered people, I have used the incorrect nomenclature about different races and ethnic groups. I've done all of those things. I try to be better than that but I sure as hell don't double down on it. That I don't do.
    I did double-down at least once on the boards, and rather recently. I used the term "local yokels" to refer to the people attending a game during the Christmas break, when my post made it clear that my daughter would be there. I got swooped for using the term "yokel". Sorry, but I'm not going to apologize for using pretty much any term in self-reference or in reference to my family. If you think I intended to disparage or insult my own daughter, then clearly that is a "you" problem.

But I got let off the hook because the mods didn't like the diversion in a pre-game thread and removed the entire exchange. I'm good with that option, too.

What's funny is it so easy to lie in that situation. You can pretend that you care or you can even just shut up about it. It's defending it that annoys the piss out of me. I literally don't care if he feels bad or not. I don't care who finds it offensive or not. None of that matters in this scenario. It was purely his response that annoyed me. I've misgendered people, I have used the incorrect nomenclature about different races and ethnic groups. I've done all of those things. I try to be better than that but I sure as hell don't double down on it. That I don't do.
    Wow! You're REALLY not going to like the PM I just sent you.

I think there is general agreement politically amongst most of the posters here.

I don’t think there is agreement on the virtues of political correctness, or at least it’s contours.

I suggest we move on, but IANAM and if y’all want to keep discussing it just PM me when it’s safe to come back to this thread.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think there is general agreement politically amongst most of the posters here.

I don’t think there is agreement on the virtues of political correctness, or at least it’s contours.

I suggest we move on, but IANAM and if y’all want to keep discussing it just PM me when it’s safe to come back to this thread.

Thanks.
    I'm done with it, FWIW. I think it is an interesting subject, in general, and I like to hear the opinions of others on the on the subject. I genuinely like to hear from people I disagree with. It's the only way I can make substantive changes to the way I think.

But I certainly don't want to discuss it if it makes anyone uncomfortable, and I've said my piece, so now I'm happy to hold my peace.

"Pitchers and catchers report" is one of my favorite phrases in the English language. I get positively giddy with the days getting longer. Plus I travel so much that I really notice the days getting longer at home.
    Ah, the start of that two-month period of the year when that anti-logical side of me swells with the idea that this is the year the Rockies are going to put it together and mix it up with the big boys, despite having half the payroll of the blue blood teams. Spring, and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I'm done with it, FWIW. I think it is an interesting subject, in general, and I like to hear the opinions of others on the on the subject. I genuinely like to hear from people I disagree with. It's the only way I can make substantive changes to the way I think.

But I certainly don't want to discuss it if it makes anyone uncomfortable, and I've said my piece, so now I'm happy to hold my peace.
    Better than holding your piece I guess

Sorry I hijacked the thread. And not just saying that. I actually mean it.

Sorry I hijacked the thread. And not just saying that. I actually mean it.
    I'm sorry if anyone is offended that ClemmonsDevil and I hijacked the thread.

(Goes to check the etymology of "hijack" to determine how offensive it is)

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Wow! You're REALLY not going to like the PM I just sent you.
    Oh Aimo. I never actually like the PMs we send each other.

Oh Aimo. I never actually like the PMs we send each other.
    Weird. I LOVE reading the PMs you two send each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Weird. I LOVE reading the PMs you two send each other.
    In retrospect I should stop putting those on twitter.

In retrospect I should stop putting those on twitter.
    Oh, I just switch over to my burner account your account to read them.

I was at lunch last week with 6 work colleagues including my boss's boss and others at different levels (attorneys, paralegals, admins). Among the people at the table was a member of the same team I'm on (I'm an attorney and she's a paralegal). She is black, I am white, and I've worked with her for many years. She used to report to me before some reorganizing years ago.

I was telling a story of someone I used to know when I was a kid. He was an older black man and the chef at a restaurant where I worked. He was fascinating and used to tell great stories. Anyway, I was talking about him in the context of cooking and being a chef I used to know and I made the comment that he used to tell stories about Satchel Paige from the Negro Baseball League. I felt the table get very quiet. Did I do/say something wrong? I mean, the Negro League was a factual thing, it's a fact that Satchel Paige played in it, and I thought it was fun and interesting that my chef friend spoke about him.

Am I not supposed to use the word Negro, especially with a black woman present? Am I not supposed to mention the Negro League at all? I sensed that people felt uncomfortable although I didn't sense it from the black woman at the table, the one person I would be concerned about making uncomfortable. Or is it just that in today's society we're so programmed to avoid certain words the mere mention of one makes it uncomfortable for white people?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I was at lunch last week with 6 work colleagues including my boss's boss and others at different levels (attorneys, paralegals, admins). Among the people at the table was a member of the same team I'm on (I'm an attorney and she's a paralegal). She is black, I am white, and I've worked with her for many years. She used to report to me before some reorganizing years ago.

I was telling a story of someone I used to know when I was a kid. He was an older black man and the chef at a restaurant where I worked. He was fascinating and used to tell great stories. Anyway, I was talking about him in the context of cooking and being a chef I used to know and I made the comment that he used to tell stories about Satchel Paige from the Negro Baseball League. I felt the table get very quiet. Did I do/say something wrong? I mean, the Negro League was a factual thing, it's a fact that Satchel Paige played in it, and I thought it was fun and interesting that my chef friend spoke about him.

Am I not supposed to use the word Negro, especially with a black woman present? Am I not supposed to mention the Negro League at all? I sensed that people felt uncomfortable although I didn't sense it from the black woman at the table, the one person I would be concerned about making uncomfortable. Or is it just that in today's society we're so programmed to avoid certain words the mere mention of one makes it uncomfortable for white people?
    Dammit Rich! You know I have to respond!!!!! Will text you. Also one of you is awaiting a response to a PM. It will follow but right now I'm eating burnt ends and they take precedence.

Dammit Rich! You know I have to respond!!!!! Will text you. Also one of you is awaiting a response to a PM. It will follow but right now I'm eating burnt ends and they take precedence.
    Okay, now that's offensive. Definitely qualifies as taunting and would get you T'd up in a basketball game.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Okay, now that's offensive. Definitely qualifies as taunting and would get you T'd up in a basketball game.
    *Celebration punch!*

Yoooooo…..this thread been busy.