Page 476 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 3764264664744754764774784865265769761476 ... LastLast
Results 9,501 to 9,520 of 67238
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Okay, survey question: were any of the rest of you watching the US Figure Skating Championships? If so, do you agree with me that the results in the women's competition were a bit nutty? I don't know how Alissa Czisny finished ahead of Rachael Flatt, and Ashley Wagner should've been above Caroline Zhang. Sure, short program scores count, but Rachael had more technical content along with decent artistry. And Alissa fell. Unbelievable.
    I only saw the last two skaters as I was watching the Twerps get humiliated. I don't like seeing someone fall and win it all - but I didn't see enough of the skaters to truly compare.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    No. Make that HELL NO! I watch during the Olympics, but every 4 years is plenty of subjective, cheating judges for my taste. And that includes gymnastics and diving too.
    There was plenty of that going around at Nationals, at least in the women's competition IMHO. The judges have found a way around the scoring system that was supposed to keep them from cheating. Caroline Zhang reminds me of Oksana Baiul in that she poses and waves her arms around, succeeding in drawing the judges' attention away from the fact that her jumping is horrible to watch (she kicks her leg WAY out on takeoff).

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I only saw the last two skaters as I was watching the Twerps get humiliated. I don't like seeing someone fall and win it all - but I didn't see enough of the skaters to truly compare.
    I still have the game on my DVR - may have to watch it again.

If you saw the last two, you saw Rachael and Alissa. Rachael scored higher (as she should have), but it appeared to me that the judges padded Alissa's score so she'd win.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Spins count too in the new system, a lot. Alissa Czisny's spins are so far superior to Rachel Flatt's, well, they aren't even in the same spinning ballpark. Did you see how centered Alissa's spins were? TO DIE FOR!!!! Yes, she fell on her second triple lutz but she was far enough ahead after the short that she could afford that one mistake. I liked Rachel's skate, she's a nice skater, but I have no problems with the order of finish.

Ashley Wagner dug herself too big a hole (12th place and I don't know how many points) to overcome Caroline Zhang in the short program. Don't feel too bad for her though, under the old scoring system it's highly unlikely she would have been able to rise up to 4th place no matter how well she skated. Yes, Zhang needs to work on jumping technique and she's got to skate faster if she ever wants to be world champion but again, spins, TO DIE FOR Part 2. I love the new scoring system cause it rewards the spinners. Have you noticed how few 'all jump - no spin' skaters win anymore? Hooray! If she were skating today, Suraya Bonaly probably couldn't crack the top 5 at worlds, ever.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Alissa also has better extension and did you notice how long she held her positions in the spiral sequence? OMG!!!!! The only thing Rachel did better in her program was land her second triple lutz. I mean really. That shouldn't make the difference. Sorry Arkie, but I definitely disagree with you, I don't think Alissa's score was padded at all.

Can you tell I don't view FIGURE skating as purely a jumping competition?

Anyone watching the Australian Open? Federer lost the first two sets and is currently down 2-1 in the third set. Will he be able to fight back to take the last three sets?

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    That was, indeed, a fun game to watch.
    In order to qualify it as a game, don't two teams have to show up?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    In order to qualify it as a game, don't two teams have to show up?
    Being a little picky, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Alissa also has better extension and did you notice how long she held her positions in the spiral sequence? OMG!!!!! The only thing Rachel did better in her program was land her second triple lutz. I mean really. That shouldn't make the difference. Sorry Arkie, but I definitely disagree with you, I don't think Alissa's score was padded at all.

Can you tell I don't view FIGURE skating as purely a jumping competition?
    Oooh I missed this today. Oh well. Worlds are at Staples Center in LA... maybe I can figure out a way to go to those for a session or two.

Anyone watching the Australian Open? Federer lost the first two sets and is currently down 2-1 in the third set. Will he be able to fight back to take the last three sets?
    Wow did you just see that break for Federer?

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Wow did you just see that break for Federer?
    I can't believe Berdych gave away those last two points. And he didn't break back like he did before. Federer may come back afterall.

I can't believe Berdych gave away those last two points. And he didn't break back like he did before. Federer may come back afterall.
    I don't put anything past Roger.

Well, the #1 seed in the Women's side of the Aussie open is already out - will Federer suffer the same fate?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Well, the #1 seed in the Women's side of the Aussie open is already out - will Federer suffer the same fate?
    Is Roger turning it around or is Berdych self-destructing?

Is Roger turning it around or is Berdych self-destructing?
    Yes.

Perhaps the leg strain will help him.

Yes.

Perhaps the leg strain will help him.
    Ya think?

I wish I could get that trainer to show up here to work on my back. That would be sweet!

I wish I could get that trainer to show up here to work on my back. That would be sweet!
    I wish I could get a trainer... to...

I wish I could get a trainer... to...
    Yeah - that too!

Is the creaking sound that I keep hearing from the chairs in the announcers booth? I've been trying to figure that out.

Yeah - that too!

Is the creaking sound that I keep hearing from the chairs in the announcers booth? I've been trying to figure that out.
    Creaking sound? I think your tv has residents.