Page 307 of 3371 FirstFirst ... 2072572973053063073083093173574078071307 ... LastLast
Results 6,121 to 6,140 of 67402
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    To me, the precise moment when the Christmas season begins has traditionally begins is that when Santa appears onscreen at the end of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. That's when it always hits me, and I shed a tear or two (seriously). In recent years, the parade's quality has really declined though, so I think the line of demarcation is a bit more fungible now. Thanksgiving Day, to me, is its own special day which also ushers in the Christmas season. The first full day of "Christmastime," I suppose, is the day after. In some years, when I particularly need a little Christmas, or when Thanksgiving falls particularly late on the calendar, I have been known to fudge a bit, and declare that the Christmas season begins at Thanksgiving, meaning Thanksgiving break from school. This frees me to listen to Christmas music on the way to my grandmother's for Turkey Day, a day or two early...but don't tell anyone. My decorations, though, never go up until the day/weekend following Thanksgiving.
    I won't be able to open the Yuletide thread until Friday morning, as my grandmother is, um, not exactly wired. And anyway, if anybody is hanging out on the boards on Thanksgiving Day, then you have problems (Canucks perhaps excepted...sorry colchar).

I agree that the parade isn't what it used to be. Of course, I have to watch Santa arrive at Macy's because one year his pants fell down when he got out of the sleigh. It's not often you get mooned by Santa.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Jan 6 has been traditional in our family - but that varies a little based on time constraints. I always find that I have forgotten to put away one decoration in some obscure location, or not so obscure sometimes, and find it at the end of January. Last year, it was my Snoopy Santa so I just changed his clothes.
    I gave my mom a little faux Charlie Brown Christmas tree last year. It's not only a great Christmas symbol, but it also has considerable family significance, stemming from a series of half-jokes about the puniest Christmas tree we ever had, which also happened to coincide with the most gut-wrenching emotional challenges we've ever faced at Christmas time. My brother and I put that tree up on a cinder block and actually wired branches back onto the bottom of it after trimming to make it appear a bit taller and fuller, and we collectively wished each other a "Merry Christmas, dammit." We now remember it as a pretty special Christmas, characterized by defiant joy in the face of heartache. As a result, the Charlie Brown tree was quite well received last year, and it's now part of Mom's year-round decor.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Yeah, I kind of am. I'll keep everyone posted.
    Oh goodie, wilson, me too, if I ever finish my full length play that is. I promise you, if I ever do, it will be brilliant. ;-)

I have been listening to Christmas music on the radio already. There is one station that started playing only Christmas music from now until the holiday --last week! I've sneaked a couple of listens although the boys make me change when they are in the car, except for the 4-year old. He doesn't mind it.

December 21st is a big day in our house, it's diagnosis day, we've decided to turn it into a celebration from now on. By the way, Ymo and billy, you're invited to the Winter Solstice Dessert Open House Party at Chez Bostondevil on Saturday, December 20th, 7:30pm until the last scotch drinker decides to head home. Anybody else in the Boston area on December 20th? Let me know.

And of course, December 20th is party time around here, it's the first anniversary of the LTE. I'm hoping celebrations will breakout all over DBRLand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    And of course, December 20th is party time around here, it's the first anniversary of the LTE. I'm hoping celebrations will breakout all over DBRLand.
    I may be the only LTE participant in the Kansas City area, but I'll celebrate. Would prefer to have others to celebrate with but will make due on my own. (More wine for me.)

Another good place to celebrate on 12/20 would be the Cameronlands in Jersey, when the Devils take on perennial A-10 powerhouse Xavier.

As for the Christmas discussions, I vote that Christmas officially starts the Monday after Thanksgiving weekend, or the first day of the first week of Advent, for those following the Christian calendar. Your choice - I'm fine either way, but you have to wait until after Thanksgiving weekend.

Regarding radio stations that play Christmas music before Thanksgiving, I have heard rumors that they will get infected with the same kind of catastrophic mechanical failure that happens to TVs that play Jim Carrey's version of the Grinch.

By the way, Ymo and billy, you're invited to the Winter Solstice Dessert Open House Party at Chez Bostondevil on Saturday, December 20th, 7:30pm until the last scotch drinker decides to head home. Anybody else in the Boston area on December 20th? Let me know.
    I need to check on one other event that day...a poker tournament that starts in the early afternoon.

By the way, Ymo and billy, you're invited to the Winter Solstice Dessert Open House Party at Chez Bostondevil on Saturday, December 20th, 7:30pm until the last scotch drinker decides to head home. Anybody else in the Boston area on December 20th? Let me know.
    Sounds great, but I'll be heading down to Charleston on Saturday.

I may be the only LTE participant in the Kansas City area, but I'll celebrate. Would prefer to have others to celebrate with but will make due on my own. (More wine for me.)
    Does 3 hours to the north-northwest count as "in the KC area"? In any event, I'll be celebrating the LTE anniversary - it's come a long way, baby!

I got my kitties a gift to celebrate 1 year together. They chewed on the box and were unimpressed.

Red face Plans for the 20th

I'll be grading.

But it looks like the family will be heading to NC a couple of days afterwards.

If puppy is not house-trained (likely), I'll be staying at home.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Does 3 hours to the north-northwest count as "in the KC area"? In any event, I'll be celebrating the LTE anniversary - it's come a long way, baby!
    We could meet in the middle - I'm sure there is a booming metropolis around that would be available for heavy partying.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I'll be grading.

But it looks like the family will be heading to NC a couple of days afterwards.

If puppy is not house-trained (likely), I'll be staying at home.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    You don't really need to stay home with a not-fully-housebroken puppy (unless that's a really convenient excuse to avoid in-laws). It's really not too hard to travel with a little one like that. Just as you would at home, just take her out more often than seems natural or necessary. And get a package of those puppy pads.
    Will you be crate training little Van Gorp? That would also be really helpful. You'll be surprised how much she'll learn in just a few weeks, and with a bit of diligence, you can travel with her just fine.

You don't really need to stay home with a not-fully-housebroken puppy (unless that's a really convenient excuse to avoid in-laws). It's really not too hard to travel with a little one like that. Just as you would at home, just take her out more often than seems natural or necessary. And get a package of those puppy pads.
    Will you be crate training little Van Gorp? That would also be really helpful. You'll be surprised how much she'll learn in just a few weeks, and with a bit of diligence, you can travel with her just fine.
    Just a suggestion - but check with the people you will be visiting before arriving with a pet. Not everyone wants canine guests in their house. Although, little Georgia/Jimmy/Van Gorp is so cute that no one could resist her.

My nephew has been accepted at the main campus of Penn State - Engineering. He no longer has to practice "Do you want fries with that?", which his family was making him do in front of a mirror since he wasn't working on his college applications very diligently. What a relief.

Hopefully, he will continue to apply to the other schools he is considering.

Smile

Will definitely crate train her, and hope for the best. Don't want to miss seeing the devildeacs.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    My nephew has been accepted at the main campus of Penn State - Engineering. He no longer has to practice "Do you want fries with that?", which his family was making him do in front of a mirror since he wasn't working on his college applications very diligently. What a relief.

Hopefully, he will continue to apply to the other schools he is considering.
    DIK - any idea what type of engineering? I was a grad student at Penn State in Aerospace Engineering back in my day...
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    DIK - any idea what type of engineering? I was a grad student at Penn State in Aerospace Engineering back in my day...
    I was going to post some smartaleck comment that JB Duke was not an engineer, but in fact a businessman. In trying to find something to back up my statement, I googled JB Duke and stumbled on this very interesting article in which Mr. Duke addresses the economy of the late 1800's/early 1900's and the then current presidential election (I didn't see a year corresponding with the article, and don't know my history well enough to pin down a year). Change a few names and it almost reads as something written today.

Did not mean to turn this into a PPB discussion, but found it interesting and wanted to share with my friends.

Wonder what Mr. Duke would say if he knew of this board with his family name on it celebrating a sport at a school named after his family.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...659C946396D6CF

A few other amusing tidbits, the correspondent (I love that the author kept referring to themself throughout the article as "the correspondent") initially approached Mr. and Mrs. Duke to inquire about specifics as regards the dress Mrs. Duke wore to meet their majesties.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Of course, he may change his mind but the boy does like a challenge. Initially, he said Chem E, now he is talking BME.