Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ACC-B1G Challenge Ending

No surprise but this will be the last ACC-B1G Challenge. Also, the SEC-B12 Challenge is ending. I expect an ACC-SEC Challenge next year with Duke drawing a game with UK.

How can you anticipate the result of a random draw?

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    No surprise but this will be the last ACC-B1G Challenge. Also, the SEC-B12 Challenge is ending. I expect an ACC-SEC Challenge next year with Duke drawing a game with UK.
    Just checked and we have Michigan State in the Champions Classic next year (it is in Chicago).

ACC-SEC Challenge in basketball official.

Link: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...e-hoops-season

Duke could end up in Lexington and Tucson in the same month if the timing works out. Two places K (allegedly) swore never to play again. A new era indeed…

I’m kind of pumped for a new challenge - the Big 10 challenge had begun to feel stale to me.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Wow. I have to think this is broadcast rights driven, right? ESPN has the ACC and SEC Networks plus extra rights, while next year B1G rights will be held exclusively by Fox, CBS, and NBC on the football side... and I have to think that extends in some capacity to basketball (i.e., all basketball games will be on a combo of CBS, Fox, FS1, and B1G Network).

If so, that sucks for me being able to watch Michigan games abroad since games on ESPN networks are all we get in our package in Canada, haha.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    Duke could end up in Lexington and Tucson in the same month if the timing works out. Two places K (allegedly) swore never to play again. A new era indeed…

I’m kind of pumped for a new challenge - the Big 10 challenge had begun to feel stale to me.
    I agree about the Big 10 Challenge. I think UK or Rocky Top in Cameron is a lot more likely. If you only have 11 non-conference spots, you really only have room for 1 road game/year.

There's a lot of SEC road venues within driving distance that won't sell out for a Duke game. That was not the case in the Big 10.

I'm happy with this change. I really like on-campus games against quality OOC opponents. There are a lot of SEC teams that we haven't played at all in a very long time other than either Thanksgiving tournaments or post-season play, all of which are of course on neutral courts. Playing them in their barns or at Cameron is going to be fun, certainly more fun than another game vs. Michigan State or Ohio State or Indiana or Wisconsin.

Alabama: we haven't played them in a regular season game since the 1960's.
    Arkansas: Neither team has ever been to the other's campus
    Auburn: They came to Cameron in 1981. We've never been to their place.
    Florida: They came to us in 1998 and took a severe whupping for their trouble. We haven't been to Gainesville since the 1930's.
    Georgia: (not that we're likely to be matched up with them but still): haven't played them since the 1930's, when the Dawgs beat us 43-32.
    Kentucky: We haven't played them in a regular season game that was not at a neutral site since the 50's.
    LSU: Played a home-and-home with them in '91 and '92 (which many remember I'm sure, both of which we won) but just two neutral site games since then, the last of which was them upsetting us in the tournament in 2006.
    Ole Miss: Never played em.
    Miss St: We beat em in the tournament in '05, but no on-campus games since 1938.
    Missouri: Neither team has ever been to the other's campus
    South Carolina: Nothing on either campus since 1971
    Tennessee: Nothing on either campus since 1976
    Texas A&M: Neither team has ever been to the other's campus
    Vanderbilt: Haven't played em since they came to Cameron in 1996.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    Well being on the losing end sure hasn't spiced it up.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I'm happy with this change. I really like on-campus games against quality OOC opponents. There are a lot of SEC teams that we haven't played at all in a very long time other than either Thanksgiving tournaments or post-season play, all of which are of course on neutral courts. Playing them in their barns or at Cameron is going to be fun, certainly more fun than another game vs. Michigan State or Ohio State or Indiana or Wisconsin.

Alabama: we haven't played them in a regular season game since the 1960's.
    Arkansas: Neither team has ever been to the other's campus
    Auburn: They came to Cameron in 1981. We've never been to their place.
    Florida: They came to us in 1998 and took a severe whupping for their trouble. We haven't been to Gainesville since the 1930's.
    Georgia: (not that we're likely to be matched up with them but still): haven't played them since the 1930's, when the Dawgs beat us 43-32.
    Kentucky: We haven't played them in a regular season game that was not at a neutral site since the 50's.
    LSU: Played a home-and-home with them in '91 and '92 (which many remember I'm sure, both of which we won) but just two neutral site games since then, the last of which was them upsetting us in the tournament in 2006.
    Ole Miss: Never played em.
    Miss St: We beat em in the tournament in '05, but no on-campus games since 1938.
    Missouri: Neither team has ever been to the other's campus
    South Carolina: Nothing on either campus since 1971
    Tennessee: Nothing on either campus since 1976
    Texas A&M: Neither team has ever been to the other's campus
    Vanderbilt: Haven't played em since they came to Cameron in 1996.
    That’s an amazing list and kind of sad. All these teams in the southeast and we’ve not been on their campuses for bball games in forever if at all.

I look forward to the competition.

I think the Big Tele14 crushes the ACC this year in the challenge. Maybe only 2-4 ACC wins.
    VT, UVA should win. Duke, maybe, after that...

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    That’s an amazing list and kind of sad. All these teams in the southeast and we’ve not been on their campuses for bball games in forever if at all.

I look forward to the competition.
    I remember when LSU came to Duke with Shaquille. Laettner completely outplayed him. Shaq got in foul trouble early. He looked completely lost trying to defend Laettner on the perimeter. Laettner pulled the chair on Shaq at least once. I don’t think I had seen a college player do that before Laettner and few since. For the game at LSU Dale Brown, the incompetent LSU coach, who was at least quite a showman, had some bizarre pregame spectacle involving people rappelling to the court from the rafters. It didn’t help them win but I’m sure the LSU fans loved it.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I remember when LSU came to Duke with Shaquille. Laettner completely outplayed him. Shaq got in foul trouble early. He looked completely lost trying to defend Laettner on the perimeter. Laettner pulled the chair on Shaq at least once. I don’t think I had seen a college player do that before Laettner and few since. For the game at LSU Dale Brown, the incompetent LSU coach, who was at least quite a showman, had some bizarre pregame spectacle involving people rappelling to the court from the rafters. It didn’t help them win but I’m sure the LSU fans loved it.
    I was off to art school at that time, so I wasn't in Cameron, but if memory serves me correctly (and it often doesn't), the "Over Rated" chant came across quite loudly on TV that game.

(It's one of those games that I think of when our own Duke Blue glasses wearing brethren complain when we hear the same chant directed our way.)

Edit: OOOH...Memory did serve!!!

"The crowd of 9,314 serenaded O'Neal with derisive chants, beginning with "Overrated, overrated," and continuing with "CBA, CBA." When he picked up his fourth personal with 8:45 remaining and Duke leading, 71-50, the cry became, "One, two, three, four, Shack can't play his game no more."
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-6f56286079a5/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I was off to art school at that time, so I wasn't in Cameron, but if memory serves me correctly (and it often doesn't), the "Over Rated" chant came across quite loudly on TV that game.

(It's one of those games that I think of when our own Duke Blue glasses wearing brethren complain when we hear the same chant directed our way.)

Edit: OOOH...Memory did serve!!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-6f56286079a5/
    I was there and we were saying “this” game, not “his” game.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I was there and we were saying “this” game, not “his” game.
    As a now experienced Crustie in the upper decks, I can attest to whatever is said down below often comes across as something chanted by Charlie Brown's teacher, whether heard in person or on TV. So trading "this" for "his" is not a bad miss.

If I recall, during the game at LSU there were a lot of very loud homophobic chants directed at Laettner. These were not just one or two yahoos but a large portion of the crowd. It was also the first game after Hurley got hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    If I recall, during the game at LSU there were a lot of very loud homophobic chants directed at Laettner. These were not just one or two yahoos but a large portion of the crowd. It was also the first game after Hurley got hurt.
    IIRC there's never been demand for a home game ticket in Baton Rouge like that one before or since. Rumor has it the Fire Marshall looked the other way and the gym was several thousand over flow that day.

In that regard, like Littlejohn in 79 or 80...for the Duke game.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I think the Big Tele14 crushes the ACC this year in the challenge. Maybe only 2-4 ACC wins.
    VT, UVA should win. Duke, maybe, after that...
    Well we have 2 wins with 12 more to play. Hope the final win total can get to 5-7.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    How can you anticipate the result of a random draw?
    Well played...spork worthy and all that...

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Well we have 2 wins with 12 more to play. Hope the final win total can get to 5-7.
    And now 4.. W/ Virginia on the cusp of #5
    Last edited by bluedev_92; 11-29-2022 at 11:23 PM. Reason: update