View Poll Results: What is your big first round upset?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • 13 Buffalo over 4 Arizona

10 16.67%
  • 13 Marshall over 4 Wichita St

5 8.33%
  • 13 Charleston over 4 Auburn

11 18.33%
  • 13 UNC-G over 4 Gonzaga

2 3.33%
  • 14 Wright St over 3 Tennessee

2 3.33%
  • 14 SF Austin over 3 Texas Tech

6 10.00%
  • 14 Bucknell over 3 Michigan St

6 10.00%
  • 14 Montana over 3 Michigan

0 0%
  • 15 Georgia St over 2 Cincinatti

2 3.33%
  • 15 CSU-F over 2 Purdue

1 1.67%
  • 15 Iona over 2 Duke

0 0%
  • 15 Lipscomb over 2 UNC

9 15.00%
  • any 16 over 1

3 5.00%
  • none

11 18.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What is your big first round upset?

A little late, so use the honor system and don't vote for something that's already happened.

Mine are (1) College of Charleston over Auburn, who hasn't been the same since their starting center was injured, and (2) Buffalo over Arizona, who is being overrated because of their NBA talent and probably needs a karma-filled loss.

Bonnies over Florida
    Buffalo over Arizona
    SD st over Ohio State

Would have voted for Davidson over KY, but don't see it as an option.

An honest reply would've been SFA over Tech or Charleston over a slumping Auburn team that is no where near a 4 seed quality team now.

But out of hope, I picked Bucknell.

(and seriously, multiple votes for Buffalo over Zona?)

Kudos to PackMan97 (and others) for channeling UNC hatred into picking Lipscomb over UNC.

How many pools are you in?

As I voted on this poll, it got me wondering, how many pools are you all in? I had several of the upsets picked, just not all on the same bracket and that made me wonder if I have a problem.

I'm in 3 pools that are, um, weighted more than others and carry more bragging rights as well. The pool with my poker game buddies, the pool with my old teammates and friends from high school, and my office pool.

I'm also in the 8-man DBR S-curve pick which was fun and interesting. Can't wait to see how that plays out.

So, altogether, I'm in 6 different competitions. Anyone else in more?

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Bold calls on zona going down. I got new Mexico state over clemson.

Is this the thread for random march madness in game posts?

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Kudos to PackMan97 (and others) for channeling UNC hatred into picking Lipscomb over UNC.
    Even if I'm wrong, I still get the pleasure of picturing, in my minds eye, the Tarheel players sobbing their eyes out as the Bison's celebrate the historic upset. It brings back shades of 2012 all over again, when State made it the sweet 16 and Carolina didn't make it to the Final Four.

I would love to see a Bucknell win. I swear MSU somehow became every sports media person's tournament favorite during their layoff week.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Even if I'm wrong, I still get the pleasure of picturing, in my minds eye, the Tarheel players sobbing their eyes out as the Bison's celebrate the historic upset. It brings back shades of 2012 all over again, when State made it the sweet 16 and Carolina didn't make it to the Final Four.
    I tend to go the other way and pick the cheats to go farther than i really think they will. That way if they win i have a shot with my bracket and if they lose I don't care about my bracket, cause well the cheats lost. I have the cheats in the final game losing to nova. I think they cruise thru the West and while UVA should beat them if they face them again I went with the cheats for the above irrational thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Even if I'm wrong, I still get the pleasure of picturing, in my minds eye, the Tarheel players gouging their eyes out as the Bison's celebrate the historic upset. It brings back shades of 2012 all over again, when State made it the sweet 16 and Carolina didn't make it to the Final Four.
    FIFY, it's a trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I would love to see a Bucknell win. I swear MSU somehow became every sports media person's tournament favorite during their layoff week.
    I don't understand it either. But I hope they're right, because I picked them and let 2 #1 seeds fall to Jason Evans.

Penn over Kansas, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    I tend to go the other way and pick the cheats to go farther than i really think they will. That way if they win i have a shot with my bracket and if they lose I don't care about my bracket, cause well the cheats lost. I have the cheats in the final game losing to nova. I think they cruise thru the West and while UVA should beat them if they face them again I went with the cheats for the above irrational thinking.
    In a pool, certainly. Hedging is the way to an emotionally satisfying March. If they lose early, you don't care because the heels lost. If they win, at least you have a great shot at winning your pool and pocketing some bragging rights and/or money.

However, in a one off poll, I'm free to picture them losing without any downside.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    For what it is worth (probably close to nothing), Bucknell is my pick in this poll.

I am a season ticket holder for another Patriot league school and have seen Bucknell play several times. They have lots of experience (top 3 players are Seniors), decent size for a low major (6'10" Nana Foulland), the past two Patriot League Players of the Year (Foulland and 6'7" forward Zach Thomas) and draw a lot of fouls (Thomas, is 5th in the country at fouls drawn per 40 minutes).

Most of these achievement came against pretty poor competition, but they did play a couple close games vs high majors earlier this season (2 point loss to Maryland and 8 point loss to UNC after trailing by 4 with 10 minutes remaining).

Sure, they are a longshot to beat MSU, but I think they have a chance.

When I was a kid I got to see many of the great NMSU Aggie teams for free, with such players as Sam Lacey, Jimmie Collins, Charlie Chris, etc. Some of you may recall those days. I have to pick NMSU over Clemson, they have a very nice TEAM this year, about the best defense of the mid-majors so called. They really work together and have some decent talent. It would not shock me if they win a second game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukiedevil View Post
    Would have voted for Davidson over KY, but don't see it as an option.
    I usually start these polls with the 13 over 4s, since 12s over 5s are relatively common (wasn't there a recent year where it happened 3 out of the 4 games?).

last year, the biggest KP upset was like 85%. There is no "obvious" upset in the top 4 seeds except michigan...which only is at 77%.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Ozzie's Paradigm of Optimism is rubbing off on us.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    last year, the biggest KP upset was like 85%. There is no "obvious" upset in the top 4 seeds except michigan...which only is at 77%.
    538 has the following
    * Gonzaga 92%
    * Wichita St 91%
    * Arizona 85%
    * Auburn 80%

So 43% chance of at least one of the four seeds losing based on those percentages. Probability gets above 50% that one of the top seeds will lose once you include the 1s, 2s, and 3s.

Michigan is at 89% according to 538.