Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this Coach K's deepest team ever?

I believe it is. I cannot remember Coach using eight players regularly. It was always the norm to use seven and rarely just six. But these eight guys are all getting good minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by porkpa View Post
    I believe it is. I cannot remember Coach using eight players regularly. It was always the norm to use seven and rarely just six. But these eight guys are all getting good minutes.
    Seems to me he used more players in 87-88-89 for a while....

Well, pretty sure only 7 have played so far today. This is the point of the season where the rotation shrinks to 7.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Well, pretty sure only 7 have played so far today. This is the point of the season where the rotation shrinks to 7.
    Yep, hoping we’d see more from O’Connell, but he’s not proven worthy of extended minutes.

He did get some minutes. But they were not very productive.
    Last edited by porkpa; 01-12-2019 at 04:47 PM.

In terms of top to bottom talent? Absolutely not.

Seven or seven point five man rotation at this point, pretty much par for the course. O'Connell wasn't a good fit defending FSU. Maybe he'll make it eight.

1999 team played 9 guys.

I'd say eight on the 1999 team getting any significant minutes. Casey Sanders would have been the eighth man.

I'd say eight on the 1999 team getting any significant minutes. Casey Sanders would have been the eighth man.
    I was referring to 98-99 team with Domzalski being #9 and Burgess #8.

Nah, it might be the most talented Duke team ever, but definitely not the deepest.

Going by the first 15 games, I'd say there's 6.5 guys Coach K trusts on this roster. I would expect the rotation in the postseason to reflect that, unless Alex takes a pretty significant step forward over the next month and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Nah, it might be the most talented Duke team ever, but definitely not the deepest.

Going by the first 15 games, I'd say there's 6.5 guys Coach K trusts on this roster. I would expect the rotation in the postseason to reflect that, unless Alex takes a pretty significant step forward over the next month and a half.
    White #6 and Bolden and Javin the .5? GoDuke!

I’m going to say no, because K has coached since 1980. The math is with me here: one of those teams had to be deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    White #6 and Bolden and Javin the .5? GoDuke!

Err...who are you putting in the top 5? One of Bolden or Javin would have to be in it, so it would be Bolden or Javin makes the .5. That said, I would argue that we are solidly 7 deep with an 8th (AOC) getting spot duty. So...7.5?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Err...who are you putting in the top 5? One of Bolden or Javin would have to be in it, so it would be Bolden or Javin makes the .5. That said, I would argue that we are solidly 7 deep with an 8th (AOC) getting spot duty. So...7.5?
    I was just saying White is #6 and Bolden(at this time) is #7. Neither are .5. I'm hoping Alex makes it #8. GoDuke!

Once Alex O'Connell can give productive minutes in a close game on the road, with a starter out, we can revisit this.

The 1998 team is frequently cited as K's deepest. But Brand's foot injury distorts that. Domzallski got a lot of PT during that span but disappeared when Brand came back. By the end of the season, K was playing seven guys.

The 1988 team had nine players go for over 300 minutes and that was without any significant injuries.

For the record.

Danny Ferry-1138
    Kevin Strickland-1036
    Quinn Snyder-1005
    Billy King-984
    Robert Brickey-809
    Phil Henderson-561
    John Smith-534
    Greg Koubek-357
    Alaa Abdelnaby-320

Duke played 35 games that season and each of these guys played at least 34 of them.

The 1983 team had nine players average at least 10 mpg. But there are a lot of DNP-CDs mixed in and that team lost 17 games. So, I suspect that's not what we're looking for.

In 1999 the #9 player in terms of playing time was Taymon Domzalski at 297 minutes (8 minutes per Duke game); #8 was Nate James at 573 (15 MPG).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    In 1999 the #9 player in terms of playing time was Taymon Domzalski at 297 minutes (8 minutes per Duke game); #8 was Nate James at 573 (15 MPG).
    Keep in mind that this team regularly bludgeoned opponents so completely that you and I could have seen PT. James was definitely in the rotation. But Domzalski got mop-up minutes, of which there were many.

But K has had lots of eight-man rotations over the year.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Keep in mind that this team regularly bludgeoned opponents so completely that you and I could have seen PT. James was definitely in the rotation. But Domzalski got mop-up minutes, of which there were many.

But K has had lots of eight-man rotations over the year.
    Here are a few attempts to quantify Jim's statement.

So far this season, Duke has not had a single game where the 8th man* has played more than 6 minutes in a game decided by 15 points or less.

In the previous 38 seasons since Coach K arrived, Duke's 8th man* has played more than 6 minutes in almost half (349 of 783, or 45%) of games decided by 15 points or less.

Put another way, Duke has had 17 previous seasons where they regularly went 8 deep** in games decided by 15 points or less.

*I am defining the 8th man as whoever played the 8th most minutes in a particular game, not whoever played the 8th most minutes over the course of the season.

**I am defining "regularly went 8 deep" as any season in which Duke's 8th man played 7+ minutes in more than half of games decided by 15 points or less.

Trivia question: The most an 8th man has ever played in a game decided by 15 points or less since Coach K arrived at Duke is 17 minutes. This has happened twice. Sporks to the first person who can name one of the two games. Hint: They were both overtime games (not surprisingly).

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Here are a few attempts to quantify Jim's statement.

So far this season, Duke has not had a single game where the 8th man* has played more than 6 minutes in a game decided by 15 points or less.

In the previous 38 seasons since Coach K arrived, Duke's 8th man* has played more than 6 minutes in almost half (349 of 783, or 45%) of games decided by 15 points or less.

Put another way, Duke has had 17 previous seasons where they regularly went 8 deep** in games decided by 15 points or less.

*I am defining the 8th man as whoever played the 8th most minutes in a particular game, not whoever played the 8th most minutes over the course of the season.

**I am defining "regularly went 8 deep" as any season in which Duke's 8th man played 7+ minutes in more than half of games decided by 15 points or less.

Trivia question: The most an 8th man has ever played in a game decided by 15 points or less since Coach K arrived at Duke is 17 minutes. This has happened twice. Sporks to the first person who can name one of the two games. Hint: They were both overtime games (not surprisingly).
    Where did you go for stats (specifically, stat's that have minutes for all years)?