Page 129 of 3383 FirstFirst ... 29791191271281291301311391792296291129 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,580 of 67660

Cool Hmm...

I think we need a little explaining from one of the PPB experts on this sort of thing.

Of course, maybe this is DA's plot to bring in more people into the LTE. Posters come in, but never get out.

Now if we are REALLY talking about rapture, I think about the man from Mars who stopped eating cars and eating bars, and now he only eats guitars.

Man... I can't believe I recalled that Blondie lyric.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Now if we are REALLY talking about rapture, I think about the man from Mars who stopped eating cars and eating bars, and now he only eats guitars.

Man... I can't believe I recalled that Blondie lyric.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Neither can I! Maybe you need to go out to the parking lot, get into your car, and drive real far.

Apparently, I've been living under here because I haven't the faintest idea what everyone is talking about...

Taken from someone's Picasa web album from their trip to Peru. Hey it came up when I searched house under a rock

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Apparently, I've been living under here [removed picture of the rock] because I haven't the faintest idea what everyone is talking about...
    Isn't that the point of the LTE?

(or is that just a by-product? )

Another one for Colchar, since this news may not have made it across the pond -- (though it did hit Colbert tonight):

Will the theme song, "Hockey Night for Canada" no longer be licensed for television?? Oh no, the national tragedy!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=91252456

Uh-oh, looks like rival network, CTV, has acquired the rights since CBC didn't pick it up:

http://ca.reuters.com/article/domest...47363920080609

(Really, can you imagine the fuss for the MNF theme? I doubt it'd make the floor of our parliament... )

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Another one for Colchar, since this news may not have made it across the pond -- (though it did hit Colbert tonight):

Will the theme song, "Hockey Night for Canada" no longer be licensed for television?? Oh no, the national tragedy!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=91252456

Uh-oh, looks like rival network, CTV, has acquired the rights since CBC didn't pick it up:

http://ca.reuters.com/article/domest...47363920080609

(Really, can you imagine the fuss for the MNF theme? I doubt it'd make the floor of our parliament... )
    Yeah I know all about that because the issue blew up before I left (I also read the Toronto Star every morning and am still doing that here).

Trust me, this is a huge issue. That theme song is sometimes called "Canada's second National Anthem" but that isn't accurate. It is our first National Anthem!! I would wager that more people recognize that song, and can do so far more quickly, than they do our official National Anthem.

The CBC were idiots in dealing with this issue (there is a separate lawsuit over them giving it out to cell phone companies as ring tones that played a huge role in their decision...although the flatly deny that that is the case).

And hockey is so much a part of Canada's national identity and culture that it comes as no surprise to me how big of a story this is. Heck, it certainly isn't the first time that a hockey issue has been discussed in Parliament. And it certainly won't be the last. Seriously, not being from Canada, people here at DBR simply cannot grasp how huge hockey is in Canada. You'd have to live in Canada for a little while before it could really sink in how seriously we take our hockey.

ETA: A friend of mine started a Facebook group (there are several of them) in order to ask people to sign a petition to reverse their decision. I was the second person to join the group and, within a day or tow, it had thousands of members. The group currently has over 5000 members and, as I said, it is only one of several groups devoted to the same topic.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Have we finally run out of things to talk about in this thread? Am I forever to be known as the person who made the last post here and, in doing so, killed the thread?

I was looking for an ESPY clip of Bill Murray accepting MJ's award one year, and then I stumbled upon Jimmy V's speech. I made everyone in the office watch it, they all cried. Time to drink.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this site yet on DBR OT or PPB:

http://www.youvebeenleftbehind.com/

Just for Colchar's benefit, I'm adding their "Why" you should subscribe to their service:
    I'm very confused. If I've been left behind, what happens next? Do I live for all eternity in a perpetual state of regret, knowing that I blew it? Or do I die a natural death and then go straight to hell?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Or do I die a natural death and then go straight to hell?
    Where you'll be forced to continually post to the LTE but never understand what is going on?

I'm very confused. If I've been left behind, what happens next? Do I live for all eternity in a perpetual state of regret, knowing that I blew it? Or do I die a natural death and then go straight to hell?
    If you take this over to the PPB, I'm sure there are a few folks who could give you a much better than the professed atheists, confirmed agnostics, and a couple members of the Chosen tribe that are regular posters in this thread.

If you take this over to the PPB, I'm sure there are a few folks who could give you a much better than the professed atheists, confirmed agnostics, and a couple members of the Chosen tribe that are regular posters in this thread.
    With that, YBT crawls back under his rock...

More Animals

After a few hot and steamy days, this morning was perfect: cool and crisp, with a light breeze and strong morning sun. Feeling very zen deep into my morning run, my heightened senses noticed a large ripple in the pond. I paused to reflect, and a beaver poked his head above the water, gave me a look and then slapped his beaver tail and swam away. A beautiful moment frozen in time.

After a few hot and steamy days, this morning was perfect: cool and crisp, with a light breeze and strong morning sun. Feeling very zen deep into my morning run, my heightened senses noticed a large ripple in the pond. I paused to reflect, and a beaver poked his head above the water, gave me a look and then slapped his beaver tail and swam away. A beautiful moment frozen in time.
    Very Thoreau-esque.

It was a lovely morning here as well, but it's going to be blazing hot before the day is done. Maybe it's time for a pilgrimage to Ted Drewe's.

Chosen tribe = Jewish?

I am jealous. It's hot here in Durham, though cooler than it has been the last week. And, I can smell the smoke from the wildfires in eastern NC. Now, I have a better understanding of what Californians and others go through as regards wild fires. I get it baby, I get it.

Talking The Chosen Brewers

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    Chosen tribe = Jewish?
    Makers of "the Chosen beer," He'Brew:
    http://www.shmaltz.com/

Whoops ... mixing in the Ymmm Beer thread!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    As long as this thread doesn't hit the second page, I consider it very active. Has it ever gone past the second page? I don't think so.

Hi, I'm back, my parents have been feted. It was a very nice event. Former dean Bill Griffiths was there along with several retired math professors, Joe Kitchen, Lang Moore, Dick Hodel, and a couple of current profs, Dalene Stengl, just in case anybody took courses with them through the years. My dad is a former prof as well, Don Burdick of statistics fame. Anybody suffer through Math 117 with him? If you suffered, it wasn't because of the professor, even if he weren't my dad, I'd have to put him in 'one of the nicest guys ever' category.

In theater news, just got into a festival in West Chesterfield, NH in the fall. Looks like I'll have to take a leaf peeping road trip. It's my first non-Boston area production!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    As long as this thread doesn't hit the second page, I consider it very active. Has it ever gone past the second page? I don't think so.

Hi, I'm back, my parents have been feted. It was a very nice event. Former dean Bill Griffiths was there along with several retired math professors, Joe Kitchen, Lang Moore, Dick Hodel, and a couple of current profs, Dalene Stengl, just in case anybody took courses with them through the years. My dad is a former prof as well, Don Burdick of statistics fame. Anybody suffer through Math 117 with him? If you suffered, it wasn't because of the professor, even if he weren't my dad, I'd have to put him in 'one of the nicest guys ever' category.

In theater news, just got into a festival in West Chesterfield, NH in the fall. Looks like I'll have to take a leaf peeping road trip. It's my first non-Boston area production!
    I had Margaret Hodel, Dick's wife I believe, for Calc 33 & 34. I had Joe Battle for both probability and statistics - business department, not math. I wasn't overly impressed with his teaching and he gave his exams at night so both sections took at the same time. He was at least nice enough to reschedule if you asked early so that the test wouldn't be at the same time as a basketball game.

Congratulations on your acceptance to the festival in NH.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Congrats! Woo hoo! Yippee!

What is the play about? Is this the one you want to title "you can't reheat fries in a microwave?"