Page 1803 of 3383 FirstFirst ... 80313031703175317931801180218031804180518131853190323032803 ... LastLast
Results 36,041 to 36,060 of 67649
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I know what my vote is.
    Dollywood?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    tried to find a link...pre internet days. It was 1971 (and I know some people on this board remember this). Not sure of the motive (just money I assume) but the kid was committed to play football at Duke, star running back. The tale as told to me by fellow employees was that the guy at the desk wearing the toupee was terrified, as was the perp (I think crime was new to him). At some point the shotgun went off accidentally, and in so doing some pellets hit the toupee and sent it flying. The desk
    clerk promptly faints. Perp sees flying hair, figures he's killed the desk clerk, so he gets in his car roars off, goes too fast onto the I-85 and rolls his car where the cops find him. Desk clerk was completely fine.
    Can’t spork. Heck of a story. Sounds like something from O Brother Where Art Thiu!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Dollywood?
    As long as you let me swing through the section adjacent to the Birds of Prey show and the Tennessee Tornado roller coaster so I can get some of the very best pork rinds on earth, I'll always vote for Dollywood.

As long as you let me swing through the section adjacent to the Birds of Prey show and the Tennessee Tornado roller coaster so I can get some of the very best pork rinds on earth, I'll always vote for Dollywood.
    Pork rinds? We should hang out

Pork rinds? We should hang out
    Seriously, the pork rind kiosk at Dollywood has some of the best ones you'll ever eat.

Seriously, the pork rind kiosk at Dollywood has some of the best ones you'll ever eat.
    It's funny you say that because I am lecturing at a hospital in the Triangle tomorrow and I am fired up to run by a Smithfields and get some of their homemade pork skins. (This is so great) Their's have hair on them still which makes me feel like I am eating and flossing at the same time.

It's funny you say that because I am lecturing at a hospital in the Triangle tomorrow and I am fired up to run by a Smithfields and get some of their homemade pork skins. (This is so great) Their's have hair on them still which makes me feel like I am eating and flossing at the same time.
    Maaaaan, you're speaking my language. I love pork rinds.

Tennis update: I am trialing new rackets because my last one is a Prince from 1991. Yes, you read that correctly. Tried two new rackets. A Wilson and a Babolat Pure Aero. I absolutely loved the Babolat and just crushed my groundstrokes all day. It felt wonderful. Served well and put a lot of heat on my groundies. And lost four and four. I hate that guy.
    I switched from Wilson to Babolat. I still suck. Had to take a break a couple of years ago due to a year-long bout with tennis elbow and a sore knee. Elbow is better, knee is worse. Don't know when I will venture back into the world of USTA tennis. I do miss it.

I did not know there was a Smithfields in Morrisville. A couple of miles from my house.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I switched from Wilson to Babolat. I still suck. Had to take a break a couple of years ago due to a year-long bout with tennis elbow and a sore knee. Elbow is better, knee is worse. Don't know when I will venture back into the world of USTA tennis. I do miss it.
    Until this year I have played in some sort of organized basketball league, whether it be my high school team, a junior college team or rec league for 41 consecutive years. The writing is on the wall for me athletically that I have to hang it up. I am purely a recreational tennis player but I would like to get into it more competitively after a 20 year hiatus (had to choose when we had kids and basketball won out). At my peak with tennis in my early to mid twenties I probably graded out as a pretty good 4.5 player. Now I am a bad 4.0 or a good 3.5. I would like to get to the point where I could be a good 4.0.

Love those things. A sociological marvel, they are. A few years ago we stopped at a Smithfield's in Wilmington, got us a mess of pork skins for a wee cocktail party...we had some nice cheese and such, people looked at the skins and giggled, who still eats pork skins? Everyone as it turns out, our guests nibbled the bowl down to scraps quite quickly. Like hot dogs...they get both mocked and eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ...Like hot dogs...they get both mocked and eaten.
    I love hot dogs too. Every once in a while, I get a taste for one that just will not be satisfied by anything else.
    Chicago style hot dogs are a regularly scheduled dinner item in my house, about 4 times a year I'd say.

I love hot dogs too. Every once in a while, I get a taste for one that just will not be satisfied by anything else.
    Chicago style hot dogs are a regularly scheduled dinner item in my house, about 4 times a year I'd say.
    Made those last night. Sans bun for me of course. Say...I like the cut of your jib sailor.

Until this year I have played in some sort of organized basketball league, whether it be my high school team, a junior college team or rec league for 41 consecutive years. The writing is on the wall for me athletically that I have to hang it up. I am purely a recreational tennis player but I would like to get into it more competitively after a 20 year hiatus (had to choose when we had kids and basketball won out). At my peak with tennis in my early to mid twenties I probably graded out as a pretty good 4.5 player. Now I am a bad 4.0 or a good 3.5. I would like to get to the point where I could be a good 4.0.
    Our USTA leagues here in the Triangle have exploded over the last 15 years. Not nearly enough courts to satisfy the numbers wanting to play. I have had fun with my teammates, but I make sure to be on a team that does not take it too seriously. We end up playing against those who think it is life or death. There are some older ladies who would cheat their own children to get a win. Takes the fun out of it. I would much rather play coed, but some men have let it be known that they think they play too hard to play with women, until they get their egos bruised by an alley shot ripped by them.

When this COVID mess is over, I need to find a small group to just play for fun . . . except the courts are always taken by leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Our USTA leagues here in the Triangle have exploded over the last 15 years. Not nearly enough courts to satisfy the numbers wanting to play. I have had fun with my teammates, but I make sure to be on a team that does not take it too seriously. We end up playing against those who think it is life or death. There are some older ladies who would cheat their own children to get a win. Takes the fun out of it. I would much rather play coed, but some men have let it be known that they think they play too hard to play with women, until they get their egos bruised by an alley shot ripped by them.

When this COVID mess is over, I need to find a small group to just play for fun . . . except the courts are always taken by leagues.
    The triangle is indeed tennis crazy. It's a little easier in the Triad. Consider trying the courts at some of the schools in the area.

What a great day. 72 degrees and sunny. I got to play tennis. A huge academic Medical Center just put their first baby on our device and it's going well. The Doctor who is on is an absolute genius who trained at Boston Children's and has an amazing personality and is absolutely tireless plus is a fantastic communicator and is texting me information. Sitting on my front steps and smoking a hand-rolled cigar I got in Tampa a couple of weeks ago and drinking Olde Mecklenburg Brewing altbier out of a Duke mug. This is a really good day.

The triangle is indeed tennis crazy. It's a little easier in the Triad. Consider trying the courts at some of the schools in the area.
    We do that, but given the schools here, the courts are not in the best shape. Plus, they are not lit. We do see quite a few people playing at my old high school on the weekends.

We have a couple large parties per summer, and always get a bunch of natural casing hot dogs...we've learned that if you ask how many folks want a dog (to go along with the other food) many chortle, few hands are raised..but when presented with the finished product, people suck them down like razorbacks...something irresistible about them...

Tube steaks?

Weather was nice enough to support a jog (lurch) today.