Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think uh_no's response would have been the safest. Keep it vague enough that it could be read as supportive of Irving while also could be read as suggesting getting vaccinated.

LasVegas' suggestion would certainly please the University, but probably wouldn't please Irving. Which would seemingly defeat the purpose of Smith's post.

Definitely agree with tommy that it is a tricky balance for coaches to walk. Nolan is new to the game, and this is perhaps his first taste of that lesson.
    And has to learn that lesson in an extraordinary situation.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    And has to learn that lesson in an extraordinary situation.
    It would be very easy for Duke, its coaches and reps to simply ignore Kyrie.

He was a good basketball player for 11 games, he is not a graduate or representative of the University.

It's pretty easy to say "no comment" in a more diplomatic way.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post

He was a good basketball player for 11 games, he is not a graduate or representative of the University.

I think that is probably the best thing for nolan, for better or worse. Just express any support you have for kyrie privately, and keep duke out of the news for bad reasons.
    April 1

I disagree with this - he may not be a graduate but as a representative of Duke Basketball he's probably right alongside Zion and Jayson Tatum as one of the most visible and successful members of the Brotherhood. I'm sure he's featured very prominently in recruiting materials.
    Trinity '09

Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post
    I disagree with this - he may not be a graduate but as a representative of Duke Basketball he's probably right alongside Zion and Jayson Tatum as one of the most visible and successful members of the Brotherhood. I'm sure he's featured very prominently in recruiting materials.
    He's the person that ends the commitment video with his "another one" clip (prior to the team being able to actually name a recruit). Like this one:
    https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1440075673805070336

They post this basically every time someone commits. So, yes, I agree with your statement that he's featured prominently in all likelihood.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    He's the person that ends the commitment video with his "another one" clip (prior to the team being able to actually name a recruit). Like this one:
    https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1440075673805070336

They post this basically every time someone commits. So, yes, I agree with your statement that he's featured prominently in all likelihood.
    Yeah, while in theory it might make sense to argue he's not a representative of Duke. In reality it just isn't true. He's very much an indirect representative of Duke, by virtue of his value on the recruiting trail for the MBB program.

The only difference being that he's not a paid representative of Duke (hence the "indirect" terminology), so Duke has no means of filtering what he says the way they can for employees (if they so desire).

Yeah, while in theory it might make sense to argue he's not a representative of Duke. In reality it just isn't true. He's very much an indirect representative of Duke, by virtue of his value on the recruiting trail for the MBB program.

The only difference being that he's not a paid representative of Duke (hence the "indirect" terminology), so Duke has no means of filtering what he says the way they can for employees (if they so desire).
    As is Adam Silver who has instituted the rule that Kyrie is fighting. One might argue that Silver is even a more direct representative given that he serves on Duke’s Board of Trustees.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    As is Adam Silver who has instituted the rule that Kyrie is fighting. One might argue that Silver is even a more direct representative given that he serves on Duke’s Board of Trustees.
    It's NYC's rule, not Adam Silver's. The NBA has mandated vaccines for NBA STAFF and everybody that works to make NBA games happen, but NOT players. They are the only ones exempt as far as I can tell. There are other unvaccinated players that will be able to play because they do not play for teams in NYC, SF, or LA (and those cities' rules allow for "visitors" to gyms to not be vaccinated). So, Kyrie could be traded and play while staying unvaccinated, but he has stated in the recent past that he refuses to get traded.

But I agree with your point that there are other representatives of Duke who clearly are "on the other side" of the issue.
    Last edited by Bluedog; 10-15-2021 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post
    Agreed, but it should still be relatively straightforward to say nothing of substance. I liked uh-no's construction, but there are many other possibilities.

It's NYC's rule, not Adam Silver's. The NBA has mandated vaccines for NBA STAFF and everybody that works to make NBA games happen, but NOT players. They are the only ones exempt as far as I can tell. There are other unvaccinated players that will be able to play because they do not play for teams in NYC, SF, or LA (and those cities' rules allow for "visitors" to gyms to not be vaccinated). So, Kyrie could be traded and play while staying unvaccinated, but he has stated in the recent past that he refuses to get traded.

But I agree with your point that there are other representatives of Duke who clearly are "on the other side" of the issue.
    Correct. The NBA has only stated that unvaccinated players will forfeit game checks for any games they miss as a result. That's the extent of the "mandate" from the NBA.

The mandate is from the local governments in a few places.

It's NYC's rule, not Adam Silver's. The NBA has mandated vaccines for NBA STAFF and everybody that works to make NBA games happen, but NOT players.
    It's probably worth mentioning that, with collective bargaining, the NBA can't really unilaterally impose this obligation on the players, at least not without an expensive, protracted court fight.

With, hopefully, appropriate respect to Kyrie, he is not a spoke person for the University. While we basketball fans appreciate his skill during his brief tenure at Duke, he was a short term visitor to Duke.

Why should any Duke spoke person even address Kyrie's remarks or conduct? Completely irrelevant to Duke's mission or to the upcoming season.

With, hopefully, appropriate respect to Kyrie, he is not a spoke person for the University. While we basketball fans appreciate his skill during his brief tenure at Duke, he was a short term visitor to Duke.

Why should any Duke spoke person even address Kyrie's remarks or conduct? Completely irrelevant to Duke's mission or to the upcoming season.
    I suspect this message board is obsessing over this FAR more than the entity that is Duke Basketball.

They have practice tonight. They have a scrimmage tomorrow. They have games in about four weeks.

I sincerely hope they aren't wringing their hands about Kyrie.

I see but then again- Kyrie is fighting for the voiceless which I assume also includes the NBA folks that make everything happen

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I suspect this message board is obsessing over this FAR more than the entity that is Duke Basketball.

They have practice tonight. They have a scrimmage tomorrow. They have games in about four weeks.

I sincerely hope they aren't wringing their hands about Kyrie.
    I am more concerned about Duke’s depth and whether Bates Jones will be a contributor - we shall see

I'm not sure if there is a press conference after Countdown to Craziness, but if there is, I wonder if anyone will have the chutzpah to ask Coach K about Kyrie. I assume they would get the Coach K Death Stare (trademarked) and hopefully get a very scripted response similar to what Uh_No said above.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I'm not sure if there is a press conference after Countdown to Craziness, but if there is, I wonder if anyone will have the chutzpah to ask Coach K about Kyrie. I assume they would get the Coach K Death Stare (trademarked) and hopefully get a very scripted response similar to what Uh_No said above.
    Maybe jimsumner will ask. And get K'd. (I kid, I kid!)
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

K is likely prepared for a response

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I was thinking the same thing... if someone does it, I just hope it isn't a Chronicle reporter, or else K might explode.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    K is likely prepared for a response
    From the ACC media days a few days ago.

On Tuesday, at the ACC Tipoff news conference in Charlotte, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski was asked if he’d been in contact with his former player and had any comments about his decision. Krzyzewski said he exchanges texts with Irving “every once in a while” and had just been in contact with him last week when he sent a photo of Duke’s players wearing one of Irving’s signature Nike shoes and saying how much they liked them. But they have not spoken about COVID-19 vaccines. “No I haven’t talked to him,” Krzyzewski said on Tuesday, when asked about Irving’s decision not to get vaccinated. “That’s his decision.” Krzyzewski and his wife, Mickie, are fully vaccinated and have already received their booster shots.

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...#storylink=cpy