Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Duke MBB v. Georgia Tech (1/4, 9:00 PM EST, ACCN) Pre-game and In-game Thread

According to the schedule, Duke men's basketball will host the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets on Tuesday night. Georgia Tech was slated to play Louisville on Saturday the 1st, but they moved the game to Sunday and on ESPN2 instead. That seems like a good sign. Who knows?

After Duke's COVID break, the team looks to jump back into conference play against one of the more disappointing ACC teams. The reigning ACC Tournament Champions (let's not discuss that Duke is on a 6-game winning streak in that event) lost a significant amount of talent after the season, including outspoken PG Jose Alverado and ACC POTY Moses Wright. Head coach Josh Pastner returns a couple of experienced players, though, including do-everything 6'5" SR G Michael Devoe. The former teammate of RJ Barrett at Montverde Academy leads the ACC in points per game at 21.0. He scores from all over but is particularly efficient from deep, hitting 45.9% from 3, good for second in the ACC. With the loss of Alverado, Devoe is the defacto PG and dishes out a team-high 3.4 assists per game. He's not a natural PG, though, which is one reason the Georgia Tech offense has suffered this season.

By T-Rank, Georgia Tech was 19th in the nation in adjusted offensive efficiency last year. This season, they are down to 181st. The offensive woes are across the board with the exception of outside shooting. Devoe is taking and making a ton of shots from downtown and is joined by 6'7" SR G/F Jordan Usher (36.8%) and 6'6" FR G/F Dallan Coleman (55.6%). Overall, though, the Yellow Jackets have struggled to score. They recently ended a 4-game losing streak with an OT win against Georgia St. (181st in T-Rank/147th in KenPom). The only bad loss they have is the opening game of the year to Miami (OH). In other words, their only wins have come against team ranked outside the top 150 in KenPom.

Outside of 3-point shooting, the defense has been the best attribute of this Georgia Tech team. Nothing stands out for them; they are just above-average. Pastner uses a lot of junk defenses and mixes up zones, man-to-man, and other schemes throughout the game to keep opposing offenses on their toes. The roster is relatively thin and short. The starting C is 6'10" JR Rodney Moore. He dunks and scores around the rim a little without doing a whole lot else. The next-tallest players in the 8-man rotation are Jordan Usher and 6'7" SR F Khalid Moore. Moore is a low-usage player that will take jumpers but has been much more effective around the rim. The backcourt includes 6'2" JR G Kyle Sturdivant and 6'1" SO G Daivon Smith. Sturdivant has started more games while Smith has struggled with his shot, shooting well below 40% from the field. The offense is carried by Devoe with help from Usher and occasional contributions from everyone else.

Georgia Tech is part of what I see as the third tier of teams in the ACC. Duke is clearly the most talented team in the conference. After the Blue Devils, there is a clump of teams vying to be the 2nd best in the conference, which may include Clemson, Florida State, Louisville, North Carolina, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, and Wake Forest. Georgia Tech is in the 3rd tier of teams that are not Boston College and Pitt but also not going to have a chance to go to the NCAA Tournament. This should be a relatively comfortable win for Duke if they play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    According to the schedule, Duke men's basketball will host the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets on Tuesday night. Georgia Tech was slated to play Louisville on Saturday the 1st, but they moved the game to Sunday and on ESPN2 instead. That seems like a good sign. Who knows?

After Duke's COVID break, the team looks to jump back into conference play against one of the more disappointing ACC teams. The reigning ACC Tournament Champions (let's not discuss that Duke is on a 6-game winning streak in that event) lost a significant amount of talent after the season, including outspoken PG Jose Alverado and ACC POTY Moses Wright. Head coach Josh Pastner returns a couple of experienced players, though, including do-everything 6'5" SR G Michael Devoe. The former teammate of RJ Barrett at Montverde Academy leads the ACC in points per game at 21.0. He scores from all over but is particularly efficient from deep, hitting 45.9% from 3, good for second in the ACC. With the loss of Alverado, Devoe is the defacto PG and dishes out a team-high 3.4 assists per game. He's not a natural PG, though, which is one reason the Georgia Tech offense has suffered this season.

By T-Rank, Georgia Tech was 19th in the nation in adjusted offensive efficiency last year. This season, they are down to 181st. The offensive woes are across the board with the exception of outside shooting. Devoe is taking and making a ton of shots from downtown and is joined by 6'7" SR G/F Jordan Usher (36.8%) and 6'6" FR G/F Dallan Coleman (55.6%). Overall, though, the Yellow Jackets have struggled to score. They recently ended a 4-game losing streak with an OT win against Georgia St. (181st in T-Rank/147th in KenPom). The only bad loss they have is the opening game of the year to Miami (OH). In other words, their only wins have come against team ranked outside the top 150 in KenPom.

Outside of 3-point shooting, the defense has been the best attribute of this Georgia Tech team. Nothing stands out for them; they are just above-average. Pastner uses a lot of junk defenses and mixes up zones, man-to-man, and other schemes throughout the game to keep opposing offenses on their toes. The roster is relatively thin and short. The starting C is 6'10" JR Rodney Moore. He dunks and scores around the rim a little without doing a whole lot else. The next-tallest players in the 8-man rotation are Jordan Usher and 6'7" SR F Khalid Moore. Moore is a low-usage player that will take jumpers but has been much more effective around the rim. The backcourt includes 6'2" JR G Kyle Sturdivant and 6'1" SO G Daivon Smith. Sturdivant has started more games while Smith has struggled with his shot, shooting well below 40% from the field. The offense is carried by Devoe with help from Usher and occasional contributions from everyone else.

Georgia Tech is part of what I see as the third tier of teams in the ACC. Duke is clearly the most talented team in the conference. After the Blue Devils, there is a clump of teams vying to be the 2nd best in the conference, which may include Clemson, Florida State, Louisville, North Carolina, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, and Wake Forest. Georgia Tech is in the 3rd tier of teams that are not Boston College and Pitt but also not going to have a chance to go to the NCAA Tournament. This should be a relatively comfortable win for Duke if they play the game.
    Seems like they are a great opponent coming out of a break.

I would assume our team won’t be at full strength, at least in the sense that they’ve missed practice and conditioning and physically may not be 100% healthy. So I’m glad to have an “easy” opponent at home. As a fan I’m excited to finally watch the team again, though my optimism is guarded by the continued uncertainty. Also the fact that we will never again have to see Alvarado’s ridiculous air guitar brings me much joy.

What is the over/under on the number of recruited players that will be available to play against GT? I say 7.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    What is the over/under on the number of recruited players that will be available to play against GT? I say 7.
    I'd take the over on that. If any players tested positive on Sunday of last week, my guess is they are able to test negative by now.

I'd take the over on that. If any players tested positive on Sunday of last week, my guess is they are able to test negative by now.
    I don’t think they have to test neg. 10 days post symptom onset or first pos test, whichever was first. Or 5 days after first pos test if asymptomatic.

-jk

A fraction of players who had Covid may test positive for up to 90 days. As a result- I am not sure how the league or NCAA manages this. For regular Duke students, they are exempt from future surveillance testing for 3 months. It is an odd quirk of the virus and how each person responds.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    A fraction of players who had Covid may test positive for up to 90 days. As a result- I am not sure how the league or NCAA manages this. For regular Duke students, they are exempt from future surveillance testing for 3 months. It is an odd quirk of the virus and how each person responds.
    That's true for PCR testing, but not antigen which tests for active virus. At least, that's my understanding. I'm not sure the exact ACC COVID quarantine wording, but I know it was updated after CDC guidance which actually doesn't even require a negative test at all after 5 days for "asymptomatic" individuals or 5 days of "resolving symptoms." Most physicians believe it should be 5 days and negative antigen test though to confirm the individual isn't actively contagious. I'm sure antigen tests are acceptable and frankly, they are more informative for those in the recovery stages because of what you just stated. But if the ACC is following the updated CDC guidance, no negative test is even required anymore. I assume Duke has stricter guidelines though.

CDC guidance

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I don’t think they have to test neg. 10 days post symptom onset or first pos test, whichever was first. Or 5 days after first pos test if asymptomatic.

-jk
    That is the first part of the CDC guidance but the second part of the recommendation is "follow that by 5 days of wearing a mask when around others to minimize the risk of infecting people they encounter" -- unless we are proposing that people play in masks, then there really needs to be something else like a negative antigen test to help ensure that the person is not still infectious.

That said, I doubt we will see a higher level of caution because $$$ reign supreme. Watching the games on TV yesterday, there was little or no mask wearing in the stands except at Syracuse - that honestly in a bigger public health threat than lax standard for athletes (assuming they are vaccinated sufficiently)

Covid and long layoffs can hurt

Last year Baylor had a 21 day long covid break and beat Iowa St (0-18 in B12 2-22 team) 77-72 at home, followed up by a 71-58 loss to a good not great Kansas team. We will have 13 day break, BUT will not have been able to practice. Scott Drew with a veteran team talked about how hard it was to regain solid team play because the players were unable to practice for much of the time and were limited to working out in their hotel rooms.

If we were unable to play Saturday, at best we could have 2 days of practice before Tuesday. The plan to make up postponed games also will create issue of inserting games which will result in short rest games. Vegas and analysts long have recognized that short rest decreases performance and increases injuries. While the NCAA Selection Committee supposedly takes into account Covid issues, I am loathe to place any faith in any entity which includes "NCAA" and "Committee" in its name.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    The ACC updated its testing policy last week. Here are the new rules:

A vaccinated individual who tests positive for COVID-19 may complete isolation when one of the following occurs, if permitted by local and state public health officials:
    - Once asymptomatic, the individual has two negative tests (i.e., molecular PCR or antigen) from specimens that are collected at least 24 hours apart; or
    - At least seven (7) days have elapsed since the first positive test, the individual’s symptoms are improving, and the individual has one negative test (i.e., molecular PCR or antigen) within 24 hours of being cleared.
    - Such an individual must be fever-free for at least 24 hours to be cleared under either of the above options.
    https://theacc.com/news/2021/12/27/g...up-report.aspx

Testing policy could become a new major at Duke. A dynamic, complex, ever changing field of study.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    That's true for PCR testing, but not antigen which tests for active virus. At least, that's my understanding. I'm not sure the exact ACC COVID quarantine wording, but I know it was updated after CDC guidance which actually doesn't even require a negative test at all after 5 days for "asymptomatic" individuals or 5 days of "resolving symptoms." Most physicians believe it should be 5 days and negative antigen test though to confirm the individual isn't actively contagious. I'm sure antigen tests are acceptable and frankly, they are more informative for those in the recovery stages because of what you just stated. But if the ACC is following the updated CDC guidance, no negative test is even required anymore. I assume Duke has stricter guidelines though.
    The data is not clear on that. In the UK where there are more antigen tests- they report a subset that test positive after 10 day isolation.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/12/23/what-if-you-test-covid-positive-on-lateral-flow-test-after-isolating-15814077/

We have a solid team. Really sucks to see them miss not 1, but 2 consecutive games that they'll have to make up

I am hoping to the basketball Gods this game doesn’t get postponed …

Georgia Tech lost to Louisville today, 67-64. The Yellow Jackets have lost 4 of their last 5 with an OT win over Georgia State as their only win.

It was more or less the same story for Georgia Tech. Michael Devoe led the team in scoring with 23 points and made shots all over the court. He also had 4 TOs with just 2 assists. Jordan Usher was the second-leading scorer with 17 and led the team in rebounds (6) and assists (4). They couldn't stop Louisville's Malik Williams, who scored 20 points with 10 rebounds and an AST, STL, and BLK to cap if off. Georgia Tech has no size and struggles to score.

Georgia Tech lost to Louisville today, 67-64. The Yellow Jackets have lost 4 of their last 5 with an OT win over Georgia State as their only win.

It was more or less the same story for Georgia Tech. Michael Devoe led the team in scoring with 23 points and made shots all over the court. He also had 4 TOs with just 2 assists. Jordan Usher was the second-leading scorer with 17 and led the team in rebounds (6) and assists (4). They couldn't stop Louisville's Malik Williams, who scored 20 points with 10 rebounds and an AST, STL, and BLK to cap if off. Georgia Tech has no size and struggles to score.
    Close one! Need to make sure we do not overlook them.

A few minor notes (mainly related to the bigs for Tech) and player scouting report:

Centers: The Jackets' center is Rodney Howard (6'10", 240lb junior), not Moore. Probably getting Khalid Moore on the brain . They have a backup center in Saba Gigiberia (7'1", 260lb freshman from Georgia - the country not the state), but he has played fairly few minutes. But both players missed their most recent game against Louisville, as Howard had an ankle injury and Gigiberia was in COVID protocols. I'm not sure if either will be available tomorrow night, but we'll see. In their absence, Jordan Meka (6'8", 225lb sophomore from Cameroon) has filled in. He's played 21 and 25 minutes in their past two games, with 2 blocks in each game. He's athletic, but very raw, and just plain overmatched at the D-1 level right now.

Forwards: Jordan Usher (6'7", 220lb fifth-year senior) is a terrific player. He's a high-energy guy with good athleticism and a lot of strength. He'll get the assignment of guarding Banchero, and physically he's not going to be overwhelmed by the challenge. Usher is often listed as a guard, but he's really a forward. He is a fifth-year senior who has steadily improved over his 3 years since transferring from USC, and now is capable from 3pt range along with attacking on straight line drives. He provides the team's intensity after the loss of Alvarado. The Jackets don't really have a replacement for Usher, who will play as much as he can. Jalon Moore (6'6", 210lb freshman) is the nominal backup, but he plays VERY sparingly.

Wings: Khalid Moore (6'7", 200lb senior) is the starting wing. Moore is long and lean, but fairly nondescript. He's not a great shooter, doesn't really handle the ball much, mainly just provides length for their defense. He starts somewhat out of necessity, but isn't an impact player. The other main wing is Dallan Coleman (6'6", 215lb freshman), who comes off the bench but plays significant minutes. Coleman is nicknamed Deebo, and was a 4-star recruit out of high school. He is strong (as you'd expect from a guy called Deebo) and is a good shooter who is capable of scoring off the dribble too. But he's not wildly athletic, and his off-the-dribble scoring is more jumpers and midrange. The other wing is Miles Kelly (6'4", 170lb freshman). Kelly plays more sparingly, and is probably a bit overmatched physically right now. He's pretty skinny, but has good length. He came to college with the reputation as a shooter, but so far hasn't had good results from 3 so is probably still adapting to the college game.

Guards: Tech's best player is Michael DeVoe (6'5", 200lb senior). DeVoe was a 4-star recruit out of high school, and is a combo guard who plays best as the secondary playmaker rather than a true PG. But on this team, he's forced to be the main man. He's a truly terrific shooter, a very good ballhandler and passer, and a really smart player who uses angles well off the dribble. He's not going to wow you athletically, but he just really knows how to play and how to score. Plays very under control and gets to his spots well. Containing him will be assignment #1 and #2, and probably #3, with minimizing secondary options for Usher being assignment #3 or 4. After DeVoe, the Jackets have kind of been piecing it together. Kyle Sturdivant (6'2", 200lb junior transfer from USC) has gotten the most starts. Sturdivant is a fire hydrant of a player who is like DeVoe more of a combo guard. Like DeVoe, he's not overly athletic, and mainly plays below the rim. But he's a capable 3pt shooter but not great at it, but is crafty at getting close to the rim off the dribble and hitting runners. He's solid on the dribble, but not super quick. His preferance is to get low and bully-ball to clear room for his shot. The other guy who has gotten starts is Deivon Smith (6'1", 170lb sophomore transfer from Mississippi State). Smith is the athlete of the bunch: he's super quick and springy, capable of highlight dunks despite his 6'1" frame. Where he struggles is in decision making and shooting. He's simply not a credible jumpshooter or 3pt shooter. In many ways, he's a poor man's Jeremy Roach: a kid with PG size and athleticism but lacking the PG mentality. Roach is the better version (better shooter, better finisher in the midrange and at the rim), but they are conceptually similar players. The other guard is Bubba Parham (5'10", 160lb fifth-year senior from VMI). Parham was a prolific shooter/scorer in his 2 years the lead guard at VMI, but has struggled to translate that to the ACC the last two years where his size is a limitation. He is capable of catching fire from deep though, and certainly doesn't lack in confidence. Parham missed most of the season so far recovering from a meniscus tear, but made his return against Louisville and should be a key player off the bench against us. He's the type of guy who can cause problems from 3 if he gets confident and hot, but is largely containable if you don't lose track of him off the ball.

Tech is pesky and well-coached. They have some talented players, but especially if Howard and Gigiberia are still out they are really lacking in bodies and quality. Tech can make it a grind, but it's a game we should come out with a win barring crazy things happening. As DBA said, they'll throw a variety of defensive looks at us to try to confuse us and mask their weaknesses. And if we struggle to contain DeVoe and Usher the game could be difficult. But it's a game we really should win. So hopefully we can jump out on top early and keep them from getting irrationally confident and making it a slugfest.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    The antigen test is less sensitive than the PCR, but neither of then is specifically designed to test contagion. In fact, neither of them actually assays for replication-competent virus.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    The antigen test is less sensitive than the PCR, but neither of then is specifically designed to test contagion. In fact, neither of them actually assays for replication-competent virus.
    This is true but given that one could have non-replicating comment virus remnants a couple
    of months after an infection make testing a challenge for athletes. Not sure how this is being managed for Duke athletes. I know Duke students are not being tested if they had a breakthrough infection for 90 days.