Page 2706 of 3385 FirstFirst ... 17062206260626562696270427052706270727082716275628063206 ... LastLast
Results 54,101 to 54,120 of 67682
    Scaramouch, scaramouch, will you do...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Scaramouch, scaramouch, will you do...
    the Fandango?

I really hate Bohemian Rhapsody.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    OPK -

Life has just begun. But now you’ve gone and thrown it all away.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    OPK -

Life has just begun. But now you’ve gone and thrown it all away.
    Chortled. I don't hate the song, but it isn't an absolute favorite either.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Any way the wind blows …

I like this version sung by Angelina Jordan.

Due to time constraints it's only about 2 minutes long.

Is this just fantasy?

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    It's no favorite here either, but I hear it every once in a while and it sticks around for a few minutes.

I used to love Bohemian Rhapsody, we had it on 45. Then it became popular with Wayne's World and was played a lot on the radio after that. Now, they play WAY too much Queen on the radio to begin with, and yes, I am quite sick of the song now.

CD, any update on the car situation? Inquiring minds, and all that.

Anyone familiar with the orange head joke? I heard it for the first time yesterday and couldn't stop laughing.

Then I learned it's a very old joke, that some find it hysterical and others simply don't get it and don't find any humor in it. There are websites devoted to understanding why that's so. I find people's different perceptions of, and senses of, humor so interesting.

Carry on...

Edit: Here's a reasonably good version of the joke for context:

It's business as usual for a bartender, and one day as he is cleaning his bar when an unusual customer walks in. The man is dressed in an expensive suit, has a beautiful supermodel hanging off each arm, and has a limo parked outside. Furthermore, the man has an orange for a head.

The customer sits down at the bar and orders everyone a drink. He pays for it from a roll of hundreds and manages to get the attention of every woman in the joint, despite having an orange for a head.

The bartender is not a man to pry, but he feels compelled to ask about this man's life.

"Excuse me," says the bartender, "I can't help but notice that you're obviously fabulously wealthy and irresistible to women, but you have an orange for a head. How did that happen?"

So the man told his story.

"A while back, when I was penniless, I was walking along the beach and saw an old lamp, half buried in the sand. I picked it up and gave it a clean, and POOF! out popped a genie. The genie explained that he had been trapped in that lamp for two hundred years, and that he was so grateful to me for freeing him that he would give me three wishes.

"For my first wish I asked for an unlimited fortune. The genie said 'It is done!' and from then on, whenever I needed money, it was there.

"For my second wish I asked for the attention of all the most beautiful women in the world. The genie said it was done, and since then I have been able to get any woman I wanted.

"For my third wish -- and, this is where I kinda messed up -- I asked for an orange for a head."
    Last edited by Rich; 06-29-2022 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Added a version of the joke for context
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Anyone familiar with the orange head joke? I heard it for the first time yesterday and couldn't stop laughing.

Then I learned it's a very old joke, that some find it hysterical and others simply don't get it and don't find any humor in it. There are websites devoted to understanding why that's so. I find people's different perceptions of, and senses of, humor so interesting.
    I would classify this as an anti-joke. This a long-form version. A common short form of an anti-joke would be something like this old classic:

Q: What's red and bad for your teeth?
    A: A brick.

Sometimes those land for me, and sometimes they don't. The more unexpected they are, the better. For me, an anti-joke usually seems a lot better if you've heard a bunch of more traditional jokes right before it, so you're starting to look for funny twists. Once you are anticipating unexpected answers, something blatant suddenly becomes funny. At least in my non-expert perception, having not read any humor-analysis websites.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I used to love Bohemian Rhapsody, we had it on 45. Then it became popular with Wayne's World and was played a lot on the radio after that. Now, they play WAY too much Queen on the radio to begin with, and yes, I am quite sick of the song now.
    That’s one of the negatives of satellite radio for me. Songs that I would’ve enjoyed hearing once in a while become automatic channel-changers.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I don't hate it but I am sick of it. I could happily live my life without ever hearing it again.

Saw an interesting article a while back on how most stations choose tunes to be played. The bottom line is that they don't necessarily want to play the songs you want to hear most, they just want to play songs you are unlikely to change the channel on.

The tune rotation on a lot of stations is shockingly limited, which is why I can often find something like Hotel California on two stations (in our limited market) simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Saw an interesting article a while back on how most stations choose tunes to be played. The bottom line is that they don't necessarily want to play the songs you want to hear most, they just want to play songs you are unlikely to change the channel on.

The tune rotation on a lot of stations is shockingly limited, which is why I can often find something like Hotel California on two stations (in our limited market) simultaneously.
    You can always hear U2 in Boston. I'm not really exaggerating. I collected data one time. If I was going to be in the car for more than 10 minutes, I would continuously scan the local radio stations until I heard a U2 song. I kept track of the number of 10 minute or longer trips I took for a month and scored them yes/no based on whether or not I heard U2 on the radio during the trip. 77% of trips were U2 successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    You can always hear U2 in Boston. I'm not really exaggerating. I collected data one time. If I was going to be in the car for more than 10 minutes, I would continuously scan the local radio stations until I heard a U2 song. I kept track of the number of 10 minute or longer trips I took for a month and scored them yes/no based on whether or not I heard U2 on the radio during the trip. 77% of trips were U2 successful.
    I guess that's what you get for living in a heavily Irish American city, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I guess that's what you get for living in a heavily Irish American city, eh?
    I like U2. At least the stations mix it up with the songs, it's not always the same one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I like U2. At least the stations mix it up with the songs, it's not always the same one.
    U2's Bad is my favorite song of all time from any artist or band. Especially the live version from Wide Awake In America. It moves me every time.

Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016