Page 25 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735751255251025 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    The Abominable Snow Bunny
    "I will love him, and pet him, and call him 'George.'"

I didn't realize until high school that was a riff off of "Of Mice and Men." Brilliant.

oops...The Abominable Snow Rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    "I will love him, and pet him, and call him 'George.'"

I didn't realize until high school that was a riff off of "Of Mice and Men." Brilliant.
    That's what is loads of fun about Bugs Bunny cartoons. Literary and pop culture references abound. They're really quite clever.

Today I purchased the newest Looney Tunes Collection specifically because it contains this cartoon. After watching it again, I think it moves up on my list.

I also like "Ali Baba Bunny." Hassan cracks me up. "Open sasparilla, ... open Saskatchewan, ... open septagenarian, ... open saddlesoap ..."

A Looney Tunes discussion...oh boy! I received Vols. 3-5 of the Golden Collection from Santa Mom this year (to go with Vols. 1 & 2, which I received a couple of years ago). I haven't gotten through much of them yet, so I have few comments, but I'll pass them along in the coming days.

As for favorites, I too love "Duck, Rabbit, Duck." Anything with Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck will undoubtedly make me laugh.
    I could also watch any Wile E. Coyote vs. the Roadrunner short anytime.

Looks like I now have some ideas of what to get for birthday presents now that HD DVD is likely to lose out to Blu-ray. No, I won't be changing formats, I will wait until everything is downloadable before buying movies, etc. on a physical format again.

Red face Ok ... I confess

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Looks like I now have some ideas of what to get for birthday presents now that HD DVD is likely to lose out to Blu-ray. No, I won't be changing formats, I will wait until everything is downloadable before buying movies, etc. on a physical format again.
    I do not know what the differences are among BluRay, HD DVD, and DVD. Would you please clarify for this Luddite? What is the downloadable , physical format you're talking about?

Three Bugs Moments:
    One, two, three strikes, you're out. One, two, three strikes, you're out. One, two, three strikes, you're out. [all on one ball]

The Rabbit of Seville.

"I knew I should have made that left turn at Albuquerque!"

Thanks,
    Lavabe

Digital Media

I will do my best to explain. With the advent of better TV's so that they can show much better pictures(High Definition), the makers of digital media realized they could offer a much better viewing experience by moving to these higher definitions. There are several "levels" of high definition, 1080p, 1080i, 720p, etc. This gets into a longer conversation, so I will summarize by saying higher numbers are better and p is better than i.

Your regular TV made 5-6 years ago and what TV is broadcast in now (generally) uses 480p. Your current DVD player uses this 480p format also.

Two camps emerged to provide a high definition(1080p) media format, Blu-ray and HD DVD. Both had their corporate backers, HD DVD by Toshiba, Microsoft, and Intel; Blu-ray by Sony, Panasonic and others. To keep this short, most of the differences were very technical and don't make much of a difference to the average home video viewer. The end result was that you had HD DVD vs. Blu-ray and various movie studios supporting one format or the other, with some supporting both. Warner Brothers, which initially supported both, decided this week to only support Blu-ray from June of this year onward. This means that approximately 70% of the potential content is going with Blu-ray, while 30% are committed to HD DVD.

Blu-ray had several advantages, in particular larger storage capacity. HD DVD also had some advantages which it didn't exploit well enough, in particular:

1) Lower hardware costs since it was based in many ways on the current DVD
    2) Ability to create a combo disc(HD on one side, regular DVD on the other) That way you could keep your old equipment and be able to watch that movie you rented or bought in your living HD system or in your bedroom on your older TV and DVD player.
    3) Universal Pictures(oh wait, not an advantage per se, but I am a home teamer)

So, in a nutshell, Blu-ray looks like it will become the standard and you probably won't need to worry about this for 2-3 years when everything will be coming out in a high definition format.

(There is much more to this story such as all the corporate infighting about whose standard would be used for Digital Rights Management, CODECs, yada, yada, yada)

I will do my best to explain. With the advent of better TV's so that they can show much better pictures(High Definition), the makers of digital media realized they could offer a much better viewing experience by moving to these higher definitions. There are several "levels" of high definition, 1080p, 1080i, 720p, etc. This gets into a longer conversation, so I will summarize by saying higher numbers are better and p is better than i.

Your regular TV made 5-6 years ago and what TV is broadcast in now (generally) uses 480p. Your current DVD player uses this 480p format also.
    One clarification: most standard def TV is still broadcast in 480i. DVDs are 480p.

To Ymo's earlier point about physical vs. downloadable content, it's commonly believed that this HD DVD vs. Bluray generation is the last time we'll need to buy physical media and physical players. There are already a number of services that let you purchase HD video files in the same way you would buy songs and low definition video content from iTunes.

Given the convenience and portability of downloads, I think this change will happen sooner rather than later. Consumer confusion over HD DVD and Bluray has opened the door even wider for a non-physical solution to take over. I will be very surprised if either HD DVD or Bluray are ever adopted as broadly as DVDs were.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Given the convenience and portability of downloads, I think this change will happen sooner rather than later. Consumer confusion over HD DVD and Bluray has opened the door even wider for a non-physical solution to take over. I will be very surprised if either HD DVD or Bluray are ever adopted as broadly as DVDs were.
    Thanks for the clarification...

Based on what is going on now personally, I agree with you wholeheartedly. The only thing I think that may slowdown adoption are(if I believe what I am told by the media)relatively slow broadband connections in many cases. Not all of us can get FiOs yet!

Yeah, I totally agree with your forecast, BB -- we're not choosing either technology here, figuring it'll be obsolete in another 12-18 months. (Tho I suppose if either of us were hardcore gamers and wanted a PS3, we'd also check out a blu-ray disc or two.)

Kind of a shame for Sony -- they finally win a format war, but it's for a shrinking island of technology that again, no one will remember in 5 years.

Not all of us can get FiOs yet!
    Amen, brother. I was *really* peeved to learn if I lived on the other side of the street behind our house, we could get FiOS, but as of now, Verizon has no plans to extend across the street into our 'hood. Argh! (Not that we have any complaints about our cable service beyond 'it's not FiOS' -- it's been Comcastic.)

Kind of a shame for Sony -- they finally win a format war, but it's for a shrinking island of technology that again, no one will remember in 5 years.
    Couldn't happen to worse people. Never has a company hated its customers so much.

Amen, brother. I was *really* peeved to learn if I lived on the other side of the street behind our house, we could get FiOS, but as of now, Verizon has no plans to extend across the street into our 'hood. Argh! (Not that we have any complaints about our cable service beyond 'it's not FiOS' -- it's been Comcastic.)
    Tee hee!

Smile I think I followed that ...

So, in a nutshell, Blu-ray looks like it will become the standard and you probably won't need to worry about this for 2-3 years when everything will be coming out in a high definition format.

(There is much more to this story such as all the corporate infighting about whose standard would be used for Digital Rights Management, CODECs, yada, yada, yada)
    Thanks for the explanation ... I could actually follow it. Take-home message: don't invest in one or the other just yet. Hold off a couple of years, and see what happens (and hope for the downloadables).

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Yes, I agree with your take away

Anyone else fidgety? I've been waiting all day for 5:30...not to mention all the time off between games.

patriots are going to stomp the jags next week.

Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post
    patriots are going to stomp the jags next week.
    I'm worried about this game. Garrard doesn't make a lot of mistakes, and the dual headed running attack is hard to stop. I haven't had a lot of faith in the Pats' defense this year.

I think the Pats need some help from the weather. Unfortunately, it's pretty warm right now, but hopefully it freezes over this weekend.

I'm worried about this game. Garrard doesn't make a lot of mistakes, and the dual headed running attack is hard to stop. I haven't had a lot of faith in the Pats' defense this year.

I think the Pats need some help from the weather. Unfortunately, it's pretty warm right now, but hopefully it freezes over this weekend.
    Actually, the Pats want it to be clean and clear. The Jags running game is superior to the Pats running game. Thus, if it is messy out and the ground game is all that works -- advantage Jax.

Quote Originally Posted by tombrady View Post
    Jax.
    Am now craving Jax cheese doodle things. Can't get 'em down here. Would someone who lives in an area (northeast, I believe) please eat a handful for me? Thanks! You're a true friend.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Am now craving Jax cheese doodle things. Can't get 'em down here. Would someone who lives in an area (northeast, I believe) please eat a handful for me? Thanks! You're a true friend.
    Along those same lines, please allow me to plug the most bestest brand potato chip available on the surface of the Earth:

UTZ!

"When its UTZ against Them, Them ain't got a chance!"

-Earl "Carolina BBQ UTZ Rules" Jam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Along those same lines, please allow me to plug the most bestest brand potato chip available on the surface of the Earth:

UTZ!

"When its UTZ against Them, Them ain't got a chance!"

-Earl "Carolina BBQ UTZ Rules" Jam

Funny you should mention Utz! I have recently discovered them, especially the unsalted ones. I now have to be very careful when grocery shopping as I can easily put a bag in the cart.

Am going through Utz withdrawal as I write. Ohhh, the agony!!! Whoa is me.

Utz rules

Utz salt and pepper chips are my big weakness.

And their BBQ, and their salt and vinegar, ...

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I don't know Jax.

Is it available in Boston?

I miss Cheerwine and the only true ginger ale - Vernor's. I know Vernor's is a midwest company but you can get it in NC. Vernor's came up with a drink called a Boston cooler, Vernor's and vanilla ice cream. You can't get a real Boston cooler in Boston. Sigh.