Page 44 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast
    Saw Bradley Beal on JJ Redick podcast. I see Trevoe Keels potentially becoming like a Beal or like a Duncan Robinson on the Heat. Want all the targets to Duke,but my instincts tell me Keels would be great for Duke 2021/22.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Saw Bradley Beal on JJ Redick podcast. I see Trevoe Keels potentially becoming like a Beal or like a Duncan Robinson on the Heat. Want all the targets to Duke,but my instincts tell me Keels would be great for Duke 2021/22.
    typo Trevor Keels is my correction. Always a place for good shooting 6’6 wings

Adam Zagoria had a write up on AJ and his dad and in it Zagoria listed AJ at 6-8 220

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    Adam Zagoria had a write up on AJ and his dad and in it Zagoria listed AJ at 6-8 220
    This again. I'd love it if AJ is really 6'8" but this happens every year. Henry Coleman was up to 6'9" before he lost 2 inches when he showed up on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    This again. I'd love it if AJ is really 6'8" but this happens every year. Henry Coleman was up to 6'9" before he lost 2 inches when he showed up on campus.
    Maybe he got a haircut...

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Some relevant 2021 updates.

1) Andrew Slater tweeted last night that he expects Emoni Bates to reclass in 2021. That would give MSU a really nice class with Bates, Max Christie, Jaden Atkins, and Pierre Brooks.

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/s...801946625?s=20

2) Speaking of Bates, did anyone see Bates vs. Chet Holmgren on ESPN2 last night? Wow, Chet Holmgren is very impressive. He'd go #1 in this year's draft.

3) I take everything that Jake Weingarten says with a grain of salt, but he tweeted some positive updates this morning regarding Duke/Trevor Keels.

"Duke signed two five-stars this week in Paolo Banchero and AJ Griffin, but are they done yet? I’m hearing that the Blue Devils are emerging in the recruitment of Trevor Keels"

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/s...008450560?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    ...did anyone see Bates vs. Chet Holmgren on ESPN2 last night? Wow, Chet Holmgren is very impressive. He'd go #1 in this year's draft...
    Yes indeed. And again, yes indeed. Holmgren was eye opening.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

With Banchero and Griffin signed, if Keels announced for Duke just those 3 alone would be such a good class. With not knowing who might return and what other additions to the 2021 class might come about, it's hard not to smile at this year and next.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Yes indeed. And again, yes indeed. Holmgren was eye opening.
    Holmgren did some world class social media trash talk afterward, too, after the general consensus was that Bates (and team) were going to roll. The kid is definitely a competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Some relevant 2021 updates.

1) Andrew Slater tweeted last night that he expects Emoni Bates to reclass in 2021. That would give MSU a really nice class with Bates, Max Christie, Jaden Atkins, and Pierre Brooks.

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/s...801946625?s=20

2) Speaking of Bates, did anyone see Bates vs. Chet Holmgren on ESPN2 last night? Wow, Chet Holmgren is very impressive. He'd go #1 in this year's draft.

3) I take everything that Jake Weingarten says with a grain of salt, but he tweeted some positive updates this morning regarding Duke/Trevor Keels.

"Duke signed two five-stars this week in Paolo Banchero and AJ Griffin, but are they done yet? I’m hearing that the Blue Devils are emerging in the recruitment of Trevor Keels"

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/s...008450560?s=20

I didn't really buy into the Chet hype before, but after watching that game...wow.

This kid is on a Kevin Durant trajectory.

Hard to remember someone with the wingspan of a A380 that can shoot and move the way he does. Not just on offence, but he is a shot blocking machine too. Sadly, he does not have us as his finalists and will be attending college.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    I didn't really buy into the Chet hype before, but after watching that game...wow.

This kid is on a Kevin Durant trajectory.

Hard to remember someone with the wingspan of a A380 that can shoot and move the way he does. Not just on offence, but he is a shot blocking machine too. Sadly, he does not have us as his finalists and will be attending college.
    Yeah, gotta root for GLU in this recruitment, he’s a beast and seems to have a great motor and competitive drive too.

Not sure if this is the right thread but I saw that AJ Griffin’s dad is under consideration for the head coaching job at Wichita State, now that Marshall is on his way out. Would be interesting for them to both be among the college ranks, with a lingering subplot throughout the season of whether Duke and WSU would eventually wind up in the same region come March.

Seems like Baldwin Keels and Bediako will miss early signing dates.
    Ivy League cancelled their season. Therefore Paul Atkinson of Yale should be recruited. I would think a player with age and experience would be better than Bediako. Williams and Tape may both return for 2021/22.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Seems like Baldwin Keels and Bediako will miss early signing dates.
    Ivy League cancelled their season. Therefore Paul Atkinson of Yale should be recruited. I would think a player with age and experience would be better than Bediako. Williams and Tape may both return for 2021/22.
    FYI, Atkinson doesn't block shots (a puny 3% block rate for a big man) and doesn't shoot threes. I'm not that excited on initial look. For those wondering, Tape at least blocks shots at 2.5 times the rate Atkinson does, and Tape might not play a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    FYI, Atkinson doesn't block shots (a puny 3% block rate for a big man) and doesn't shoot threes. I'm not that excited on initial look. For those wondering, Tape at least blocks shots at 2.5 times the rate Atkinson does, and Tape might not play a lot.
    And with the following PF/Cs very likely to be on the roster next year, I don't see Atkinson as filling a need: Banchero, Williams, Coleman, Brakefield.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Some Patrick Baldwin, Jr optimism beginning to assert itself over at the Devils Den...from at least one very good source. Me, I just wait until it happens...(or not)...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Some Patrick Baldwin, Jr optimism beginning to assert itself over at the Devils Den...from at least one very good source. Me, I just wait until it happens...(or not)...
    Baldwin reminds me of Tatum: fundamentals are incredible for his age and his shooting is off the charts. Also, the athleticism doesn't jump out but it's there.

I want this kid badly. He can score from everywhere on the floor.

Sidenote: can either Baldwin, Griffin, or Banchero play defense? Or is this crop kinda like the 2016-17 team where they were stellar offensively and garbage defensively?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Baldwin reminds me of Tatum: fundamentals are incredible for his age and his shooting is off the charts. Also, the athleticism doesn't jump out but it's there.

I want this kid badly. He can score from everywhere on the floor.

Sidenote: can either Baldwin, Griffin, or Banchero play defense? Or is this crop kinda like the 2016-17 team where they were stellar offensively and garbage defensively?
    Griffin is going to be an absolute monster on defense. He's got incredible size, length, agility, and determination to defend. This past winter, Griffin played the Paul VI team featuring Jeremy Roach and Trevor Keels. Here's how that turned out for Keels (who is also considered a hard-nosed, two-way player). I expect that Griffin is going to be near or on the same level of Justise Winslow or Zion Williamson in terms of defense as a freshman. Will he miss a read or be out of position from time to time? Sure, but he has the athleticism to recover and FAST.

Banchero, I am less aware of his defensive chops. I have seen nothing to make me believe it's a deficiency for him. He is big and long and quick on his feet and should do quite well. He seems to be an active and engaged defender, but this is mostly based on highlights showing big blocked shots and such. My expectation is that he should be ok on defense. Banchero, at his size and with his footspeed, should be able to match up with most forwards and centers in college. That is a strength as Duke should have Mark Williams on the roster next year (unless he really blows up this year). Williams has high defensive upside as a rim protector and overall disruptor on the court with the lateral quickness and length to cause problems. He can be a safety blanket for Banchero and the rest of the team to focus on cutting off passing lanes. Williams is seriously long and tall, 7'1" and a wingspan of 7'6" with agility like we've rarely seen in a player that size. That's like a taller, quicker Marques Bolden, who was quite good at hedging screens and recovering to the post. Having that kind of presence on the court could hide any awareness or other issues with Banchero (and others).

If there is a knock against Baldwin right now, it's on the defensive side of the court. He's a talented scorer and has a truly elite feel for the game. But that hasn't seemed to have translated over to the defensive side of the court. In interviews, he seems to be aware of his deficiencies on that end of the court and knows that he has to be a two-way player to truly reach his potential. In my view, I think Jason Tatum is a good comp for Baldwin on several accounts. Baldwin is a much, much better shooter at this stage and is both taller and longer than Tatum. However, neither is an overwhelming athlete. They both have length and skills that are rare for their position. Tatum has turned those attributes into strengths in his short NBA career. Will Baldwin?

I would also keep an eye on Trevor Keels. There is some scuttlebutt on twitter and other boards that Duke is in a good position. Keels is unlike anyone else that Duke is projected to have on their roster next season, a bigger guard that can both shoot it and plays defense. He's in that Gary Trent, Jr. mold as a big guard. If Duke is so lucky to get all of Baldwin, Banchero, Griffin, and Keels, I think, along with the projected returners (Baker, Brakefield, Coleman, Williams, and one or both of Roach and Steward), Duke should be at least a good defensive unit if not a top 10-15 unit in terms of KenPom Adjusted D.
    Last edited by DavidBenAkiva; 11-17-2020 at 08:27 PM.

Griffin is going to be an absolute monster on defense. He's got incredible size, length, agility, and determination to defend. This past winter, Griffin played the Paul VI team featuring Jeremy Roach and Trevor Keels. Here's how that turned out for Keels (who is also considered a hard-nosed, two-way player). I expect that Griffin is going to be near or on the same level of Justise Winslow or Zion Williamson in terms of defense as a freshman. Will he miss a read or be out of position from time to time? Sure, but he has the athleticism to recover and FAST.

Banchero, I am less aware of his defensive chops. I have seen nothing to make me believe it's a deficiency for him. He is big and long and quick on his feet and should do quite well. He seems to be an active and engaged defender, but this is mostly based on highlights showing big blocked shots and such. My expectation is that he should be ok on defense. Banchero, at his size and with his footspeed, should be able to match up with most forwards and centers in college. That is a strength as Duke should have Mark Williams on the roster next year (unless he really blows up this year). Williams has high defensive upside as a rim protector and overall disruptor on the court with the lateral quickness and length to cause problems. He can be a safety blanket for Banchero and the rest of the team to focus on cutting off passing lanes. Williams is seriously long and tall, 7'1" and a wingspan of 7'6" with agility like we've rarely seen in a player that size. That's like a taller, quicker Marques Bolden, who was quite good at hedging screens and recovering to the post. Having that kind of presence on the court could hide any awareness or other issues with Banchero (and others).

If there is a knock against Baldwin right now, it's on the defensive side of the court. He's a talented scorer and has a truly elite feel for the game. But that hasn't seemed to have translated over to the defensive side of the court. In interviews, he seems to be aware of his deficiencies on that end of the court and knows that he has to be a two-way player to truly reach his potential. In my view, I think Jason Tatum is a good comp for Baldwin on several accounts. Baldwin is a much, much better shooter at this stage and is both taller and longer than Tatum. However, neither is an overwhelming athlete. They both have length and skills that are rare for their position. Tatum has turned those attributes into strengths in his short NBA career. Will Baldwin?

I would also keep an eye on Trevor Keels. There is some scuttlebutt on twitter and other boards that Duke is in a good position. Keels is unlike anyone else that Duke is projected to have on their roster next season, a bigger guard that can both shoot it and plays defense. He's in that Gary Trent, Jr. mold as a big guard. If Duke is so lucky to get all of Baldwin, Banchero, Griffin, and Keels, I think, along with the projected returners (Baker, Brakefield, Coleman, Williams, and one or both of Roach and Steward), Duke should be at least a good defensive unit if not a top 10-15 unit in terms of KenPom Adjusted D.
    Agreed on Griffin. I've been saying for over a year now, but IMO Griffin will be the best player on our roster next year, and will go the highest in the draft the following year.

Serious question: assuming they're all at Duke next year, is there any chance that Griffin, Banchero, Baldwin, and Mark Williams will ever all be on the court at the same time?