Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Go SpaceX!!!!!

Very Challenging Project Management

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Canning the Space Shuttle was the best choice. I was a bit angry at the time, but the things SpaceX has been able to do are just amazing. Whoever thought we'd see reusable rockets!

The costs SpaceX has been able to hit are really game changing. Their ride sharing is also quite amazing and giving smaller businesses access to space they might not have had before.
    There was an aspect to the Shuttle and Space Station programs that I never appreciated until I stumbled onto a book about ten or fifteen years ago. It was written by the project managers who handled those programs. Having worked in engineering and construction throughout my career it was of special interest to me - although I would not recommend it as any kind of "fun" read. Plus I'd have to really dig around to find the book again anyway, so there's no way I could recommend or reference it anyhow.

What they discussed was the enormous difficulty of running large multi-year projects that must satisfy the whims of Congress. Every two years they had to face changed demands to their schedules or budgets that were way beyond reasonable. When you understand some of the whiplash they had to endure to react to the changing priorities of their Congressional overloads, it's a miracle either project ever got into the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    There was an aspect to the Shuttle and Space Station programs that I never appreciated until I stumbled onto a book about ten or fifteen years ago. It was written by the project managers who handled those programs. Having worked in engineering and construction throughout my career it was of special interest to me - although I would not recommend it as any kind of "fun" read. Plus I'd have to really dig around to find the book again anyway, so there's no way I could recommend or reference it anyhow.

What they discussed was the enormous difficulty of running large multi-year projects that must satisfy the whims of Congress. Every two years they had to face changed demands to their schedules or budgets that were way beyond reasonable. When you understand some of the whiplash they had to endure to react to the changing priorities of their Congressional overloads, it's a miracle either project ever got into the air.
    Lawyers telling scientists how to run their program. Leave the science to the scientists!

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Lawyers telling scientists how to run their program. Leave the science to the scientists!
    And the law to the lawyers?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Canning the Space Shuttle was the best choice. I was a bit angry at the time, but the things SpaceX has been able to do are just amazing. Whoever thought we'd see reusable rockets!

The costs SpaceX has been able to hit are really game changing. Their ride sharing is also quite amazing and giving smaller businesses access to space they might not have had before.
    Exactly. I've seen loads of people knock and hate on Musk and some of his wackier ideas but if it leads to innovations down the road it's still great. Let the man tinker
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Dragon just fired thrusters to begin Bob & Doug's de-orbit burn. The burn lasts over 11 minutes, during which they start falling to Earth.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

31 minutes to splashdown. Discovery Channel covering.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    31 minutes to splashdown. Discovery Channel covering.
    One of the things that has always fascinated me is how precise the predictive time measurements are. I know it's all math, but still, fascinating.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Wooohooo!!!!

Nice!

Stolen from my buddy’s text:

WELCOME HOME BOB AND DOUG!!! Sorry we [redacted] up Earth while you were away!

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Exactly. I've seen loads of people knock and hate on Musk and some of his wackier ideas but if it leads to innovations down the road it's still great. Let the man tinker
    I’m all for what he is doing. But there are at least a few folks who seem to be pretty unhappy about his photobombing adventures:

5045C586-CADF-45F4-9800-08590B27DDD4.jpg

Starlink satellites photobombing NEOWISE comet image
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block