Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    Now if we could just recruit some athletes...
    I realize you're being sarcastic, but 1) Nobody questions that Gerald is a phenomenal athlete. He is exactly what the "more-athletes" crowd is clamoring for more of; and 2) I don't think we can count Steve Johnson as an "athlete" on our basketball team, seeing as how he doesn't play.

From what I have been reading from posters here for several years, most basketball fans equate athleticism with being able to dunk dramatically. In my mind, all of the things our guys do on the court qualify them, in varying degrees, as athletes whether they can dunk or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    From what I have been reading from posters here for several years, most basketball fans equate athleticism with being able to dunk dramatically. In my mind, all of the things our guys do on the court qualify them, in varying degrees, as athletes whether they can dunk or not.
    Right. We are talking about those degrees, which do vary dramatically.

4. When I think of athleticism desired in players, it depends on the position played:

Smalls:
    - Penetration
    - Lateral movement for defense

Bigs:
    - Agility and jumping ability to collect rebounds
    - Agility and jumping ability for post moves (dunks, easy lay-ups, spin moves, etc.)

so...

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    I realize you're being sarcastic, but 1) Nobody questions that Gerald is a phenomenal athlete. He is exactly what the "more-athletes" crowd is clamoring for more of; and 2) I don't think we can count Steve Johnson as an "athlete" on our basketball team, seeing as how he doesn't play.
    Not really sure where you're going here, but I will share a funny anecdote. A guy I work with claims Henderson is not a good athlete, he can just jump really high. The dude claims that Gerald is not very fast so he's not a good athlete at the D1 level. I suppose the determination that one is a "good athlete" is highly subjective. I happen to think guys that are really tall and can high jump over 6 feet are good athletes at the very least. Doesn't mean they're great basketball players, but certainly good athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    Not really sure where you're going here, but I will share a funny anecdote. A guy I work with claims Henderson is not a good athlete, he can just jump really high. The dude claims that Gerald is not very fast so he's not a good athlete at the D1 level. I suppose the determination that one is a "good athlete" is highly subjective. I happen to think guys that are really tall and can high jump over 6 feet are good athletes at the very least. Doesn't mean they're great basketball players, but certainly good athletes.
    I'm not trying to disparage Steve Johnson's athletic abilities. I'm only saying that if we can agree he qualifies as a good athlete, it doesn't really count since he doesn't play and thus his athletic ability makes no impact on the team, except perhaps in practice.

As you and somebody else above you allude to, though, there are different qualities that lend oneself to being an "athlete." Gerald is not exceptionally fast, but he is quite strong and an incredible leaper. I don't think somebody has to be able to dunk dramatically, as someone pointed out, to be an "athlete." It's some combination of speed, quickness, strength (often overlooked, in my opinion - this is why I would consider Shelden Williams to be an "athlete" as well), explosiveness, jumping ability, and agility.

We all realize that every member of the team is an "athlete" in the sense that they play D-I basketball at an elite school, but that doesn't mean that some are much more gifted in the above-mentioned areas than others.

Quote Originally Posted by jyuwono View Post
    When I think of athleticism desired in players, it depends on the position played:

Smalls:
    - Penetration
    - Lateral movement for defense

Bigs:
    - Agility and jumping ability to collect rebounds
    - Agility and jumping ability for post moves (dunks, easy lay-ups, spin moves, etc.)
    For the smalls:

I would add jumping ability. Jumping ability is always a factor in athleticism, in my mind. I would also add "quickness" and remove "penetration." Penetration often has as much if not more to do with vision and ball handling, neither of which are really measures of athleticism in my mind.

8. Good point; penetration is really skill + athleticism. But it's that explosive first step I'd like to see in a guard...the ability to blow by people and control your body as you weave through traffic. Jwill had this...CP3 has this...Michael Jordan was the king of this.

State meet

Miles to compete at state meet Saturday.

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...D=200880512108

that's high

Quote Originally Posted by norduck View Post
    Miles to compete at state meet Saturday.

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...D=200880512108
    "Wearing basketball shoes, Plumlee matched a school record Friday at the Carolinas Athletic Association meet by clearing 6-foot-9, one week after committing to the Blue Devils. His height is five inches better than any other Western North Carolina jumper, and he is expected to be the favorite at Saturday’s meet."

Jumping 6'9" is insane. I'd love to see some highlight dunks from him.

While the competition that Plumlee is facing in track and field isn't the best, it should be noted that he would have also won the NC State Championship this year at the 4A public school meet, where 6'7" took home first place.

FWIW, the North Carolina state high school record in the high jump is 7'2".

6-9

6-9 is pretty awesome. Anything over 6-8 is considered US first team elite as far as national standards. Plumlee is ranked 34th in the HJ nationally. While his jump may have won the NC state championships, there are two guys ranked in front of him from NC.

17. 6-11.00 Derrick Ross, Sr, Union Pines NC, 08 NCHSAA 3A Mideast Regional

29. 6-10.00 Brandon Enoch, Jr, Walter M. Williams NC, 08 Villian Relays

I've follow track for a long time, I can remember basketball players doing well at the high jump, but I can't ever remember a big man doing well.

On a side note, I had heard that 6-3 Mike Powell, the world record holder of the long jump (29' 4 1/2") could dunk from the 19-9 three point line. I never heard any confirmation on it, but I guess if anyone could do it, he could.

6' 9"

So basically he could jump over anyone on our roster except Z!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    So basically he could jump over anyone on our roster except Z!
    Yes, but if I were Kyle Singler I would probably take my shoes off just in case Miles didn't eat his Wheaties that morning.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKESJ73 View Post
    6-9 is pretty awesome. Anything over 6-8 is considered US first team elite as far as national standards. Plumlee is ranked 34th in the HJ nationally.

I've follow track for a long time, I can remember basketball players doing well at the high jump, but I can't ever remember a big man doing well.
    In 1958, Wilt Chamberlain won the high jump competition in the Big Eight track and field championships, clearing the bar at 6-6.

Therefore

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    In 1958, Wilt Chamberlain won the high jump competition in the Big Eight track and field championships, clearing the bar at 6-6.
    So Miles will be better than Wilt?

Quote Originally Posted by MIKESJ73 View Post
    6-9 is pretty awesome. Anything over 6-8 is considered US first team elite as far as national standards. Plumlee is ranked 34th in the HJ nationally. While his jump may have won the NC state championships, there are two guys ranked in front of him from NC.

17. 6-11.00 Derrick Ross, Sr, Union Pines NC, 08 NCHSAA 3A Mideast Regional

29. 6-10.00 Brandon Enoch, Jr, Walter M. Williams NC, 08 Villian Relays

When I was in high school in the late 70s, I played hoops against a 6'11" guy in the winter and jumped against him in the spring, and he cleared 6'11" at the state meet.

He went on to play hoops and jump in college, and had a PR in the high jump of 2.26m (about 7½ feet).

On a side note, I had heard that 6-3 Mike Powell, the world record holder of the long jump (29' 4 1/2") could dunk from the 19-9 three point line. I never heard any confirmation on it, but I guess if anyone could do it, he could.
    I saw Powell come close. He took off midway between the foul line and the top of the key and dunked it. That wasn't the 3 pt line, granted, but very impressive nonetheless.

Remember that Wilt jumped before Fosbury revolutionzed the event.

"I've follow track for a long time, I can remember basketball players doing well at the high jump, but I can't ever remember a big man doing well."

Robert McAdoo once edged Bobby Jones for the North Carolina State prep title in the event.

Bob McAdoo vs Bobby Jones in the high jump -- that would be some competition.

Now let's teach our two new, high jumping players to rebound and make foul shots and things could very bright next season. I'm happy with our roster for next year and hope everyone else is too. Remember things could always be alot worse. I overheard one person at this weekends' graduation after the keynote speech turn to a family member who was complaining constantly about the weather and told him "And you thought the weather was bad!"
    Last edited by Devilsfan; 05-13-2008 at 05:01 PM.