Page 2042 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 104215421942199220322040204120422043204420522092214225423042 ... LastLast
Results 40,821 to 40,840 of 67398
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    It might not work as well after having seen the movie, but (as often happens) the book is better.
    They wrote a book about that movie?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The book is quite good. Movie covers about fifty percent of the book.
    And the book isn't creepy. Scary in places, sure. Creepy? Definitely not. The movie visuals were pretty weird, and nothing at all like the ones I had in my head.

The kids really liked The Secret of NIMH…they were impressed at its visual richness and struck by how dark the plot is. Tomorrow's class selection is My Neighbor Totoro, for a look at the influence of Japanese artists on modern animation and an introduction to Japan’s version of Mickey Mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The kids really liked The Secret of NIMH…they were impressed at its visual richness and struck by how dark the plot is
    It's a fantastic movie. I have given you all Rats of NIMH names in my mind.

Welp, it was bound to happen. Took my first lump at the new job. It is amazing how numbers on slides make executives nervous.

Oh well, tomorrow I'm going to "check" my numbers and have to tell him I was right to begin with.

So I briefly looked at The Neverending Story, it's available free on the Roku Channel and they popped an ad for it. Yes, they are tracking us everywhere.. I think I realized what triggered so many. Scene 1, peanut butter jar...Skippy creamy.

I guess I was older than others who saw it, because I don't have the same negative memories. It was written by a German and in general, German based children's stories are rather dark.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Welp, it was bound to happen. Took my first lump at the new job. It is amazing how numbers on slides make executives nervous.

Oh well, tomorrow I'm going to "check" my numbers and have to tell him I was right to begin with.
    I've been working with the same data for 9 years now and similar data for 16. Thankfully, I'm beyond being phased at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I've been working with the same data for 9 years now and similar data for 16. Thankfully, I'm beyond being phased at this point.
    Yeah. It’s a corporate peril for sure. I can understand it from executives to a certain extent. They see a lot and can’t process everything. I think this guy’s reaction was because it was a new number and he didn’t understand it so it naturally made him fearful and angry. It’s endemic of the species.

I’ll send him the table tomorrow and politely confirm the number but note I’ll “contextualize” it better next time or some nonsense.

Had to happen at some point but you just never know what will trigger it.

Yeah. It’s a corporate peril for sure. I can understand it from executives to a certain extent. They see a lot and can’t process everything. I think this guy’s reaction was because it was a new number and he didn’t understand it so it naturally made him fearful and angry. It’s endemic of the species.

I’ll send him the table tomorrow and politely confirm the number but note I’ll “contextualize” it better next time or some nonsense.

Had to happen at some point but you just never know what will trigger it.
    Yeah. But that's lazy on his part. Getting pissed off is a choice. Act like an adult and question all you want. Skilled people who know the material and are prepared crave questions. It gives you a chance to really tap into the minutiae. This person emoted. He should grow up.

Coffee

I had a job for 20 years (which I loved) which often involved telling high ranking execs that their metaphorical baby was ugly. Never a dull moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Yeah. But that's lazy on his part. Getting pissed off is a choice. Act like an adult and question all you want. Skilled people who know the material and are prepared crave questions. It gives you a chance to really tap into the minutiae. This person emoted. He should grow up.
    He emoted? Forsooth!

Sorry, a little snarky this morning. I need some of that coffee you were talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    He emoted? Forsooth!

Sorry, a little snarky this morning. I need some of that coffee you were talking about.
    I ain't going to lie, I looked it up to make sure I was using that correctly. What's interesting is that that term usually has a theatrical connotation. So there is a performance element to the term "emoted" which isn't there when using the phrase "was emotional". I used that term not knowing that, but I think there is some level of performance inherent in an emotional response in a meeting. So I'm extra glad I used it.

I ain't going to lie, I looked it up to make sure I was using that correctly. What's interesting is that that term usually has a theatrical connotation. So there is a performance element to the term "emoted" which isn't there when using the phrase "was emotional". I used that term not knowing that, but I think there is some level of performance inherent in an emotional response in a meeting. So I'm extra glad I used it.
    BostonDevil would be proud!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    BostonDevil would be proud!
    I hope!

The greatest phrase in the English language is "NPR rock critic Ken Tucker". I blatantly refuse to look him up so that my mind gets to run wild contemplating the enormity of that phrase.

The greatest phrase in the English language is "NPR rock critic Ken Tucker". I blatantly refuse to look him up so that my mind gets to run wild contemplating the enormity of that phrase.
    indeed, you might be disappointed that he's a geologist who analyzes rock formations.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I hope!
    Very proud!

I have returned from my recent foray into the South. I have retrieved T-Bone and his minimal belongings from his dorm room. He is now ensconced in the front bedroom which he shares with the guinea pigs. The Drewsk is recovering from his second Pfizer shot so no adventures today.

The New York Times ripped UNC a new one today but it's too PPB to discuss. I'll just alert everyone here should they care to seek it out. Oh wait, there's a thread. It has to deal with tenure.