Page 2334 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 133418342234228423242332233323342335233623442384243428343334 ... LastLast
Results 46,661 to 46,680 of 67399
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I am hitting Ottawa/Montreal in December, Newfoundland in January, Edmonton/Calgary in February and Vancouver in March or April.
    Nice. I always imagined/hoped that Newfoundland was named in silly, ineloquent was as the name suggests. A 'who's on first' of 'we found new land'.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Nice. I always imagined/hoped that Newfoundland was named in silly, ineloquent was as the name suggests. A 'who's on first' of 'we found new land'.
    Checks out.

That is really cool!
    Some might even say cold! Even "icy".

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Some might even say cold! Even "icy".
    So it is the Aimo of northern destinations?

So it is the Aimo of northern destinations?
    Nope, I am warm and snuggly!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Nope, I am warm and snuggly!
    Ha! Good comeback.

Has anyone else been to the arctic circle? Mine came thanks to Uncle Sam’s Yacht Club. I have a “Blue Nose” card for crossing the circle (similar to the Shellback designation for crossing the equator, which I also have). The initiation for Blue Nose is not as extreme as the Shellback one. It involves the Junior Officer and the Senior enlisted man on board going to the forward bull nose in their underwear and painting it blue with a small brush while underway. Then all other uninitiated crew gets a salt water hose down with a fire hose. Cold times!!! The good news is that everyone gets “medically” treated for exposure with a mixture of everclear and orange juice.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Has anyone else been to the arctic circle? Mine came thanks to Uncle Sam’s Yacht Club. I have a “Blue Nose” card for crossing the circle (similar to the Shellback designation for crossing the equator, which I also have). The initiation for Blue Nose is not as extreme as the Shellback one. It involves the Junior Officer and the Senior enlisted man on board going to the forward bull nose in their underwear and painting it blue with a small brush while underway. Then all other uninitiated crew gets a salt water hose down with a fire hose. Cold times!!! The good news is that everyone gets “medically” treated for exposure with a mixture of everclear and orange juice.
    I am in fact a member of the Arctic Circle CLub...Great Bear Lake, Northwest Territories...very very large lake trout. Happy to say I was not in Uncle Sam's yacht club at the time...

1. Thank you for your selfless service. We all benefit from people like you.
    2. Great story!
    3. I have been as far south as Accra, Ghana and as far north as Saskatoon now. I am going to travel to Australia in the next year, so that will be much further south than any of my current junkets. I will only go further north if we can break into the European market.

Hah. I have not and if I do it will not be in similar circumstances. Brrrt!

I’ve been as far north as Fairbanks in AK. I still have family in Wasilla so I’m sure I’ll get up that way again.

My farthest south was Montevideo. We were supposed to get there after going around Cape Horn from Chili, but we ended up going back through the Panama Canal instead, after escaping a coup in Santiago. The military started bombing Allende’s (spelling?) government as we were pulling into port, claiming that the US Navy nuclear warship was there supporting the coup. We turned around and high tailed it away, back to Panama.
    Last edited by TruBlu; 10-29-2021 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Corrected autocorrect.

My farthest south was Montevideo. We were supposed to get there after going around Cape Horn from Chili, but we ended up going back through the Panama Canal instead, after escaping a coup in Santiago. The military started bombing Allende’s (spelling?) government as we were pulling into port, claiming that the US Navy nuclear warship was there supporting the coup. We turned around and high tailed it away, back to Panama.
    How much time did you get to spend at various ports with free time? Any? Interesting way to see the world (assuming peaceful times).

Farthest south I have is New Zealand but one of those Antarctica ships is on the bucket list.

Thank you for your service, BTW.

I've been juuust above the Arctic Circle on land, so no initiation ceremony was had (also, I was 11 or 12 years old, so no "medicine", either). I was in Fort Yukon, Alaska, in the dead of winter (high school basketball season for my siblings, actually). I think there were about six hours of daylight at that time of year. They gain and lose more than 7 minutes of daylight every day there. Also, although there were streets in town, they were actually just compacted snow, and I didn't recall seeing a car moving while we were there. If you wanted to go somewhere in town, you walked, and if you wanted to go somewhere out of town, you took a snowmobile. Getting there was the only time I've ever ridden in a ski plane, so it was all pretty memorable. We won both games, too.

I've never been below the equator, sadly. In fact, I think the farthest south I've ever been is San Antonio Miami.
    Last edited by Phredd3; 10-29-2021 at 10:30 AM. Reason: I forgot that I went to Miami when I was very young.

I too have been to Reykjavik, but my furthest point north is the small Icelandic port town of Husavik (the purported "whale watching capital of Europe"), which is a couple of degrees further north than Reykjavik (66 degrees, as opposed to 64 for Reykjavik).
    Husavik is also...not ugly.

DSC_0458.jpg

I got just above the arctic circle in Norway years ago. No special ceremony, alas.

-jk

I thought Anchorage was the furthest north I had been, but it turns out that it was Reykjavik by a few degrees.

Surprised with all the world travelers here nobody has stayed at the La Quinta at the edge of earth.

Surprised with all the world travelers here nobody has stayed at the La Quinta at the edge of earth.
    I have eaten at Milliways, though.

Doesn't Kyrie stay there a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Doesn't Kyrie stay there a lot?
    Oh, Kyrie…