Page 155 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 551051451531541551561571652052556551155 ... LastLast
Results 3,081 to 3,100 of 67372
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I believe EarlJam can fill you in on what needs to be done. EarlJam is the all- knowing one.

IIRC, you have to post on the EK Forum something about whether or not the Wally Wade track should be removed.

I believe initiation involves Turner Stadium or Frankie's or the Brickstore Pub.

No branding is required ... if you have on possession a raccoon skull.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Aw, man... I would like to become an honorary member of the Atlanta Mafia, since I do have friends over that way, but I kinda don't think any of the initiation rites are going to be appropriate *and* I don't have a raccoon skull. (that I know of)

Can I just submit an unedited list of the shampoos, conditioners, soap, and other personal hygiene products that I use to EarlJam?

I believe EarlJam can fill you in on what needs to be done. EarlJam is the all- knowing one.

IIRC, you have to post on the EK Forum something about whether or not the Wally Wade track should be removed.

I believe initiation involves Turner Stadium or Frankie's or the Brickstore Pub.

No branding is required ... if you have on possession a raccoon skull.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I still have the raccoon skull, and it's all cleaned off down to the bone now. The giant vertebrae has mysteriously disappeared.

At the mafia meetings, do you wear those big moose lodge or elks lodge hats with the fur and the horns and drink beer from a liter size glass mug with a metal lid? Any debauchery involved?

And why is EarlJam so interested in personal hygene products? Is he a metrosexual? (Gee I hope that's not offensive. Up here in Connecticut we have a lot of those metrosexuals.)

There aren't really any initiation rites for the Atlanta Mafia. You just have to show up and start hanging out with us. The main hurdle is publically admitting that you have Internet friends (for me, this was a big step with the lady...she definitely had to come to terms with the fact that her bf is such a ginormous nerd). Definitely let us know if/when you'll be in town...we do fun things.

Smile Right rite

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    There aren't really any initiation rites for the Atlanta Mafia. You just have to show up and start hanging out with us. The main hurdle is publically admitting that you have Internet friends (for me, this was a big step with the lady...she definitely had to come to terms with the fact that her bf is such a ginormous nerd). Definitely let us know if/when you'll be in town...we do fun things.
    The three most frequented places for hanging out are Turner Stadium, Frankie's, and the BrickStorePub. Initiation usually begins with the question: what d' ya have?

Somehow we have to recognize you, so a photo helps.

But we can come up with initiation rites if you like. Shammrog is our rite-winged ATL DBR Mafia member.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The main hurdle is publically admitting that you have Internet.
    I'm having a party, just me and a few internet friends, you should stop by.

I"M BACK!!!! You know it!!!!!

Hmmm, I assumed it went without saying that wilson is hot (in a totally platonic, married mother of four sons with no real cougar qualities kind of way).

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I'm having a party, just me and a few internet friends, you should stop by.
    Count me in!

In other news, I just got a new smartphone - I love it.

Mr. DA got a new phone too, his is fancier, with GPS and such, but I still like mine better.

Damned thing is, we've both spent the past two evenings surfing like fiends to find hacks and software to install to make them just work better. On this front, (and BB will pee his pants laughing at this), I think the iPhone kicks heiny.

Question Definition?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Count me in!

In other news, I just got a new smartphone - I love it.

Mr. DA got a new phone too, his is fancier, with GPS and such, but I still like mine better.

Damned thing is, we've both spent the past two evenings surfing like fiends to find hacks and software to install to make them just work better. On this front, (and BB will pee his pants laughing at this), I think the iPhone kicks heiny.
    Can hardly wait for BB's response.

For the technological Luddites, please define smartphone. What phones out there qualify as smartphones?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

For the technological Luddites, please define smartphone. What phones out there qualify as smartphones?

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I would think one quality would be the ability to reply to posts while outside walking. Sort of like I am doing right now.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    The phrase "smartphone" was originally used to describe mobile phones that had applications on them (such as calendar or calculator -- I kid you not).

The phrase as it was originally intended (that as a phone that has a purpose beyond phone calls) no longer carries any weight, since even the free phones come with something in the software.

Most people hear smartphone today and think it means being able to surf the web over the carrier's network.

Another menaingful definition would be one that provides e-mail access.

In the end, don't buy any phone just because it's a "Smartphone". If you don't see yourself surfing the web, then you don't need a full color big screen. If you aren't going to be using the phone as an e-mail client, don't buy one with a keyboard.

There are aspects of a phone as a fashion accessory or jewelry, but in that case, it's more about the looks (and status) than the capabilities themselves.

The recent developments in high powered phones / access devices are exciting, but most cellular subscribers don't need the Tilt or iPhone - regardless of the extra plan prices.

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    The phrase "smartphone" was originally used to describe mobile phones that had applications on them (such as calendar or calculator -- I kid you not).

The phrase as it was originally intended (that as a phone that has a purpose beyond phone calls) no longer carries any weight, since even the free phones come with something in the software.

Most people hear smartphone today and think it means being able to surf the web over the carrier's network.

Another menaingful definition would be one that provides e-mail access.

In the end, don't buy any phone just because it's a "Smartphone". If you don't see yourself surfing the web, then you don't need a full color big screen. If you aren't going to be using the phone as an e-mail client, don't buy one with a keyboard.

There are aspects of a phone as a fashion accessory or jewelry, but in that case, it's more about the looks (and status) than the capabilities themselves.

The recent developments in high powered phones / access devices are exciting, but most cellular subscribers don't need the Tilt or iPhone - regardless of the extra plan prices.
    This is a good description, but I disagree with the conclusion. Every loyal DBR reader needs an iPhone, if only so they can post comfortably while roaming the world. Just think how much longer we could make the LTE if we were all only 5 seconds away from posting, regardless of where we are in the world.

That's the future I want.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    On this front, (and BB will pee his pants laughing at this), I think the iPhone kicks heiny.
    I'll consider this the first step in your rehabilitation.

What about those of us who hate cell phones and get really annoyed every time they accidentally push the button that connects them to the internet?? Or those of who think that "smart" cell phones would make excellent tracking devices for the government to monitor us if they should ever so choose?

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    What about those of us who hate cell phones and get really annoyed every time they accidentally push the button that connects them to the internet?? Or those of who think that "smart" cell phones would make excellent tracking devices for the government to monitor us if they should ever so choose?
    You know, they filmed The Handmaid's Tale at Duke.

Wink Not so fast my DBR friend

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    This is a good description, but I disagree with the conclusion. Every loyal DBR reader needs an iPhone, if only so they can post comfortably while roaming the world. Just think how much longer we could make the LTE if we were all only 5 seconds away from posting, regardless of where we are in the world.

Imagine devildeac posting 20 consecutive LTE posts from his iPhone.

Chinese Take Out For Lunch

Steamed chicken with mixed vegetables, garlic ginger sauce on the side!

Berries

Kayla, my puppy, learned how to pick raspberries. Now she goes to the bush and eats the berries. None of my other dogs ever did that.

Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    The former problem can be handled by getting a competent phone created by a firm that consistently sweeps the awards for usability and design.

The latter I handle by being so stupefyingly boring that I pity the hypothetical g-man tasked with tracking my movements.

Imagine devildeac posting 20 consecutive LTE posts from his iPhone.

That is dystopian.

The latter I handle by being so stupefyingly boring that I pity the hypothetical g-man tasked with tracking my movements.
    Ohhhhhhh my God, I should *not* have looked at your homepage and caught up with former classmates via the interweb! I am seriously like the least successful Dukie ever. Not even "like", I am definitely the least successful Dukie, if you don't count people who have gone to prison, blown up a building, tried to kill the president, etc. I'm going to slink back to my anonymous mediocrity now, bye-bye, see ya later!

Thumbs down Potential Battle Royale

That is dystopian.
    No, it's the future I want. Armed with an iPhone, a Dogfishhead Sampler, and two weekends at the beach, I think devildeac could pass you at the top.

FWIW, I foresee a HUGE argument with ILoveJimmy. My Verizon phone is up in October. I do NOT want to continue it. We have a family contract with Verizon. They want to stick with Verizon.

UGH!!

Cheers,
    Lavabe