Page 1470 of 3370 FirstFirst ... 4709701370142014601468146914701471147214801520157019702470 ... LastLast
Results 29,381 to 29,400 of 67392
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Whatever happened to that dude?
    I read wilson's post. I knew he had gotten married as we are FB friends too. He pops up there every once in awhile so I've kept (very) loose tabs on him.

I've never had one.
    I still miss them.

Successful trip up and back to Burlington. Son Paddies has not had a haircut since January. It's actually a bit frightening.

To amuse ourselves on the drive, we were trying to think of

1) 20 movies about bands/recording artists, fictional or biopics. We met the goal.

2) 20 movies with a main character named Jack. Debate ensued as to whether we could count ALL of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies and/or ALL of the Jack Ryan movies. We did not reach a consensus (although we did decide that we could at least count one Jack Ryan movie for every actor that has played the part). We did not meet the goal because we moved on to

3) 20 movies set in ancient Rome or ancient Greece. We arrived home before we met the goal.

Category 1: That Thing You Do, Almost Famous, A Hard Day's Night, This is Spinal Tap, The Commitments, Ray, Dreamgirls, What's Love Got to Do With It, Josie and the I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.cats, Walk the Line, Coal Miner's Daughter, The Buddy Holly Story, La Bamba,
    School of Rock, The Blues Brothers, Rock Star, Killing Bono, A Star is Born (Bradley Cooper/Lady Gaga version), Bohemian Rhapsody, Rocketman. Bonus entry: Yesterday

Category 2: Titanic, Out of Sight, One Fine Day, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Rise of the Guardians, The Shining, Speed

Category 3: Clash of the Titans (only counted first one), Wrath of the Titans, Spartacus, Gladiator, Ben Hur, Jason and the Argonauts. Troy, Hercules, The Trojan Women, Cleopatra, Pompeii, The Eagle

(featuring Romans or ancient Greeks as characters counted even if they weren't actually set in their homelands)

Talking

I used to have a dish back in the day when you could...

Well, lets just say I got a lot of channels.
    I remember those days well. DTV somehow got the courts to give them access to a customer list for a particular part I bought online and may or may have not used for questionable purposes (in my defense I continued to pay for their basic cable). Anyway I ended up being one of hundreds (thousands?) sued by DTV. Had to write up and file my own legal motions and it was a stressful year or so. DTV successfully won some individual judgements for tens of thousands they started to wind it down. I called the DTV lawyer to settle and he said $500. I countered with $100 and he instantly agreed. I hung up knowing I had just overpaid. Ironically all this time their customer service was calling me with free upgrade offers and telling me I was one of their best customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    We did not reach a consensus (although we did decide that we could at least count one Jack Ryan movie for every actor that has played the part).
    Fun fact: Alec Baldwin, the original Jack Ryan, has made a movie with every subsequent Jack Ryan (Harrison Ford, Ben Affleck, Chris Pine, John Krasinski)... and he has worked with them BEFORE they took on the role, and in that order. In total, I believe there are seven movies with two Jack Ryans.

For a future road trip, try to come up with movies that have two actors or actresses who have played the same character. The best example I can give is Out of Sight, which many people noted at the time had a pair of Batmen: George Clooney and Michael Keaton. A female example is The Help with its two Gwen Stacys: Emma Stone and Bryce Dallas Howard. It's more common than you think, particularly when you factor in Shakespearean roles.
    Last edited by brevity; 07-25-2020 at 03:13 AM.

Successful trip up and back to Burlington. Son Paddies has not had a haircut since January. It's actually a bit frightening.
    Did you sample any of our newly opened rest areas, and if so were they minty fresh?

No time like the present?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    It's more common than you think, particularly when you factor in Shakespearean roles.
    Shakespeare? Who is that?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    For a future road trip, try to come up with movies that have two actors or actresses who have played the same role.
    This leads me back to something I contemplate more often and has been touched on in this thread. Whose version is better, originator or someone else’s cover?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Did you sample any of our newly opened rest areas, and if so were they minty fresh?
    I did indeed stop at the Vermont Welcome Center 10 miles from the NH border on I-89. Vending machines empty. Orange cones and caution tape set up to guide you, blue masking tape arrows on the floor, no water fountains, it's a one way deal to use the restrooms. I didn't actually use the restrooms, I only stopped to stretch my legs, so, it was a quick walk through the welcome center. I checked out the nearby Vietnam Veterans Memorial too. Then The Drewsk and I got back in the car and headed on up to Burlington. Not many brochures but there were some hunting and fishing guides available.

No time like the present?
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    No thyme like the present?

Wind and rain from Hanna this afternoon/evening into tomorrow. But first, mow the lawn and then Covid cut 6 or 7.

Profanity and nudity in the thread this last week. What has happened?

This thread? Had profanity and nudity? And I somehow missed it? What!?!

This thread? Had profanity and nudity? And I somehow missed it? What!?!
    At least phonetically...

Ah, Ok then.

Carry on.

I'm avoiding mowing the lawn...

I'm avoiding mowing the lawn...
    Okay, time to go.